[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York

Where to fly drones in GTA?

Hey all,

Not sure which forum category to post this question. But any drone owners out there? Where do you guys usually go? The only online resource I could find is this: https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/solution ... _tool.html and all the various listings of rules governing the restrictions on drone use.

As far as I could tell, I can't fly them in National Parks, Provincial Parks, and even city parks in Toronto. What about outside Toronto (ie: Richmond Hill, Thronhill, etc)? What about school fields? Any good suggestions of places to go?
46 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York
soupmaster666 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 3:20 pm
Centennial Park is great! Lots of space, good views, you can start on top of the hill to get some great altitude, no water around to eat your drone, etc.

edit: for your cool map, just punch in: 43.65, -79.60
But isn't Centennial Park covered by the City of Toronto bylaw 608-19 (https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_608.pdf)?
608-19. Model aircraft and rockets.
While in a park, no person shall operate powered models of aircraft, rockets, watercraft or vehicles
unless authorized by permit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York
Also ... that's actually fairly close to Pearson airport ..... pretty sure that's not allowed.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2711 posts
123 upvotes
Peterborough
Somebody needs to open an off leash drone park. There's $$$ to be made!
Banned
Sep 27, 2015
38 posts
Toronto, ON
This interesting question of flying where you permitted versus where you can legally fly. If you read the Ontario website for rules such as away from traffic by 70m etc you can check out roughly what areas are allowed.
I live in downtown and I have made 2 videos on my drone already.
Hope that helps?
Parrot bepop 2 drone video watch
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
115 upvotes
TORONTO
I usually fly it near Greenbelt area near Spring Lake Golf course near Stouffville.

Sometime, we do it near Gormley go train station in Richmond Hill. This area you can only do it during weekend.
enigma0t2 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 2:04 pm
Hey all,

Not sure which forum category to post this question. But any drone owners out there? Where do you guys usually go? The only online resource I could find is this: https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/solution ... _tool.html and all the various listings of rules governing the restrictions on drone use.

As far as I could tell, I can't fly them in National Parks, Provincial Parks, and even city parks in Toronto. What about outside Toronto (ie: Richmond Hill, Thronhill, etc)? What about school fields? Any good suggestions of places to go?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York
Uturn180degrees wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 1:57 pm
This interesting question of flying where you permitted versus where you can legally fly. If you read the Ontario website for rules such as away from traffic by 70m etc you can check out roughly what areas are allowed.
I live in downtown and I have made 2 videos on my drone already.
Hope that helps?
Parrot bepop 2 drone video watch
Doesn't this rule "at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)" effectively mean that you can't really fly it anywhere downtown, right? I mean, I see in your video that you're flying yours inside a residential neighborhood. And I'm not sure, but it look like a Toronto city park? Aren't you just gambling that you won't get caught and fined by authorities?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York
gimegime wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 2:06 pm
I usually fly it near Greenbelt area near Spring Lake Golf course near Stouffville.

Sometime, we do it near Gormley go train station in Richmond Hill. This area you can only do it during weekend.
Thanks!! That's great!

Is this to say that Stouffville and Richmond Hill bylaws allow for drone flying with no permit?

Is flying around the GO train station ok though? I think the laws say you are not allowed to fly near vehicles, which a GO train would definitely qualify as.
As for the Spring Lake golf course, would you not need to get permission from the golf course?
Banned
Sep 27, 2015
38 posts
Toronto, ON
If you see first my drone weights less than 1 kg secondly all my shots are away by 30 m to 70 m away from traffic. That said if you take look at most YouTuber drone videos, for example famous Casey Niestat he only shoot drones inside NYC in the core streets to crowded places to incoming traffic so the rule 70 m doesn't imply. It's only avoiding airport and air traffic. But I try not to follow Casey N.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2922 posts
424 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I know a few places but it might get shot down lol.
signature removed for inappropriate content
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1434 posts
281 upvotes
North York
I called the bylaw offices of a few of the cities/townships around Toronto with regards to drone-flying. Mississauga, Pickering, Markham, Vaughn and Richmond Hill all require special permits.

Stoufville, Oakville and Milton have no listed bylaws concerning flying drones or RC devices of any kind. :-)
Obviously, when federal or provincial park space come into play, their laws supercede the civic bylaws in these places.
Jan 10, 2009
601 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
enigma0t2 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 12:37 pm
I called the bylaw offices of a few of the cities/townships around Toronto with regards to drone-flying. Mississauga, Pickering, Markham, Vaughn and Richmond Hill all require special permits.

Stoufville, Oakville and Milton have no listed bylaws concerning flying drones or RC devices of any kind. :-)
Obviously, when federal or provincial park space come into play, their laws supercede the civic bylaws in these places.
Stoufville doesn't need bylaws because it's by Markham airport and therefore federally illegal. Same with Milton where it's by hospital heliports and Burlington airport, so again illegal. Oakville is partially illegal due to Trafalgar Hospital's heliport.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
115 upvotes
TORONTO
The place that a lot people fly drone is near Spring Lake Golf, that is 15 km away from Buttonville airport. Without munipal by-law, I think it is definitely legal to do that in Stouffville.
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 10:51 am
Stoufville doesn't need bylaws because it's by Markham airport and therefore federally illegal. Same with Milton where it's by hospital heliports and Burlington airport, so again illegal. Oakville is partially illegal due to Trafalgar Hospital's heliport.