[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1437 posts
286 upvotes
North York
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 10:51 am
Stoufville doesn't need bylaws because it's by Markham airport and therefore federally illegal. Same with Milton where it's by hospital heliports and Burlington airport, so again illegal. Oakville is partially illegal due to Trafalgar Hospital's heliport.
The law states the following:
at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
So as long as we're 5.5 km away from the airports and 1.8 km away from the hospital, I think we're ok. My question in this post is mostly about the city park areas, which are definitely covered by the municipal bylaws.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
115 upvotes
TORONTO
That's exactly why we do it at Stouffville Road/Highway 48/Mcowen/Bloomington Road

If you go to east part of Stouffivlle, it will be within the 1.8 km range of the heliports for Markham-Stouffville Hospital

if you west of Warden, it will be too close to Buttonville Airport.
enigma0t2 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 11:16 am
The law states the following:

So as long as we're 5.5 km away from the airports and 1.8 km away from the hospital, I think we're ok. My question in this post is mostly about the city park areas, which are definitely covered by the municipal bylaws.
Jan 10, 2009
647 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
gimegime wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 10:56 am
The place that a lot people fly drone is near Spring Lake Golf, that is 15 km away from Buttonville airport. Without munipal by-law, I think it is definitely legal to do that in Stouffville.
Spring Lake Golf Club is less than 5.5 km from Markham Airport, and therefore illegal. Also less than 5.5km from Stoufville Airport CBB2 and again...
Jan 15, 2017
209 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
this is why I haven't bought a drone even though it looks fun. seems like you can't fly it anywhere and the laws are only going to get more restrictive.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31939 posts
8258 upvotes
GTHA
digger314 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 1:58 pm
this is why I haven't bought a drone even though it looks fun. seems like you can't fly it anywhere and the laws are only going to get more restrictive.
Canada's drone laws could be relaxed in near future

Canada's drone laws could be relaxed in the near future, paving the way for recreational users and first responders to reach new heights. CBC News has obtained a briefing note for the transportation minister through a freedom of information request — it suggests the government come up with new regulations using information it learns from a pilot project that will allow Canada's first responders to fly drones farther than current laws allow.
Apr 3, 2004
217 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I flew my drone out at the bluff's last year. It has a nice view of the skyline. There were few others flying drones out there anytime I went there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1437 posts
286 upvotes
North York
nxkev wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:23 am
I flew my drone out at the bluff's last year. It has a nice view of the skyline. There were few others flying drones out there anytime I went there.
I'm pretty sure the bluffs are covered by the Toronto bylaws though, as it's technically a city park "Bluffers Park". So, I think everyone who is flying drones there is just taking a chance that they don't get caught.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6683 posts
1245 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anybody ever been stopped or ticketed. I figure as long as you guys respect the people around you should be fine. Years ago there was a RC plane flying area at the north end of i think Kipling or martin grove where it ends at the north. I wonder if its still there or they are flying drones now just a thought.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1437 posts
286 upvotes
North York
antigua1999 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:05 pm
Has anybody ever been stopped or ticketed. I figure as long as you guys respect the people around you should be fine. Years ago there was a RC plane flying area at the north end of i think Kipling or martin grove where it ends at the north. I wonder if its still there or they are flying drones now just a thought.
I was @ the Bluffs a few weeks ago. And we were just holding the drone in our hand asking for directions on how to get to the higher parts of the bluffs (ie: not flying it at the time). And this city park official in a truck came to us and warned us about drones being prohibited.

I honestly don't know how seriously drone flying is enforced. But clearly if park officials are around and they see it, they will shut you down. Whether they fine you or not is probably at their discretion. While I'm pretty sure I could "get away with it" at various places in the city, I really would rather just fly it where I don't have to constantly look over my shoulders.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6683 posts
1245 upvotes
Mississauga
enigma0t2 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 12:35 pm
I was @ the Bluffs a few weeks ago. And we were just holding the drone in our hand asking for directions on how to get to the higher parts of the bluffs (ie: not flying it at the time). And this city park official in a truck came to us and warned us about drones being prohibited.

I honestly don't know how seriously drone flying is enforced. But clearly if park officials are around and they see it, they will shut you down. Whether they fine you or not is probably at their discretion. While I'm pretty sure I could "get away with it" at various places in the city, I really would rather just fly it where I don't have to constantly look over my shoulders.
What is this world coming to. You cant play ball hockey in the street and now you cant fly drones in a public spaces.
Dec 15, 2017
604 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Just go and buy submarine drones..... they are underwater drones and they are fun to use in ponds and lakes!
Apr 3, 2004
217 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I am curious about this one, and I did a little bit more digging.

It seems like Toronto Park does have a by-law that prevent people from operating or launching any powered model aircrafts in a park. Airspace is not regulated by the park. So that means if I launch the drone away from the park and still adhere to the Transport Canada laws you should still be able to fly over it.
The Toronto Municipal Code is a compilation of administrative by-laws organized by subject. Toronto Municipal Code - Chapter 608, Parks - regulates and promotes the responsible enjoyment and use of City parks and facilities. Currently the Toronto Municipal Code does not address the specific use of drones in Parks however, it does indicate:
• 608-19. Model aircraft and rockets.
While in a park, no person shall operate powered models of aircraft, rockets, watercraft or vehicles unless authorized by permit.
• 608-20. Gliders and hot air balloons.
Unless authorized by permit, no person shall tether, launch or land a hot air balloon, hang glider, ultra light aircraft or similar conveyance in a park.

enigma0t2 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 12:35 pm

Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1473 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
nxkev wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:26 pm
I am curious about this one, and I did a little bit more digging.

It seems like Toronto Park does have a by-law that prevent people from operating or launching any powered model aircrafts in a park. Airspace is not regulated by the park. So that means if I launch the drone away from the park and still adhere to the Transport Canada laws you should still be able to fly over it.
Interesting. So if I live next to a park but I launch the drone from my backyard (my property) and I fly into the park, as long as I don't land in the park and take off again in the park I'm clear? Since I am physically not in the park it reads as if that would be legal and they couldn't fine you.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7607 posts
3440 upvotes
Toronto
im flying my drone down the rail corridor to the CN tower right now.
I spray painted middle fingers on it for the on lookers.