Off Topic

Where to fly drones in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 3:38 pm
Tags:
Jul 1, 2018
6 posts
In regards to your question, all you need is permission from a property owner.

I flew out mine at my local golf club with no issues (recreationally), as I had permissions. Not allot of people are that fortunate. Gone are the days of just throwing a drone in the sky.

Furthermore, due to there being several airports in the GTAA flying with out an SFOC becomes an issue (As you can't). I would like to note during your SFOC Transport Canada requires you to provide the permission you get from the property owner to fly. I would start asking myself these questions if I were you: 1) If I can't fly at parks where can I fly? 2) If Toronto has so many airports where can I fly? 3) If I have to get a property owners permission, what is the purpose of my drone activity? 4) If I am going through all of this hassle: a) I can't fly near an airport (without any chance) b) I need property owners permissions. Why not increase just get an SFOC. 5) Lastly if I can't fly near airports, or if I can't with out permissions (the owner denies it) Where can I fly? Let's do our own deducing here....... 6) If an SFOC slightly increases my odds of getting approval to fly within a control zone (although slightly), why not do it?

Here are some airports in the GTA:
Pearson
Billy Bishop (Island Airport)
Downsview
Buttonville
Oshawa

As for your example I have a house near London airport CYXU . Seeing that I wanted to fly my drone for rec purposes I couldn't do so. Nevertheless, once I obtained my SFOC I was able to fly within the control zone and shoot video for my family. In regards to having issues with ATC, I never had an issue. Yes the approvals (flying in the control zone) are subject to ATC approval, but if you have a great track record (chances are?). Anyways enough talking for me. Pleasure meeting you all, stay safe and happy drone flying.

Helpful Tip:
If your purpose is to fly recreationally, and you don't want to put in the work of knocking on a few farmers doors (to get permission). then your best friend is the local MAC club. Or if you have a nice big cottage take your drone there ( or if you know a friend with one), the same applies to a rural area if know a friend with a house near a rural area (not near airports like the GTA).
Jul 13, 2018
1 posts
to use these exemptions you need $100,000 liability insurance. If you don't have that you're in violation.
Aug 29, 2018
1 posts
As a huge enthusiast of visiting shooting locations, I am considering to buy a drone and get some footage like in the images. This was shot in Port Hope for the Stephen King movie IT, and shot with drones. If I were to replicate these shots when I visit this town next year, am I allowed to do so? If not, will it be difficult to get permission when I ask for that? I did read all the linked to rules, but I am sitll not entirely sure if this falls under the 30 meters away from public rule or not.

Thanks for listening and helping!
Images
  • 01 - Derry (Walton Street, Port Hope - Drone shot).jpg
  • 02 - Derry (Queen Street, Port Hope - Drone shot).jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3663 posts
1385 upvotes
Have any of you ever lost a drone worth over $500?
May 9, 2015
200 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON

I have been flying my mavic pro at bluffs lately and it seems like the staffs dont give a damn there, so i guess its either a hit or miss? and plus, ive checked the radar where it shows a clear zone of flying a dron at bluffs?

I saw on instagram some people flew over cne and managed to capture a kickass pic..no idea how they managed to bypass the no fly zone since billy bishop is beside cne..
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10716 posts
3665 upvotes
Toronto
msiboy wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 3:55 pm

I have been flying my mavic pro at bluffs lately and it seems like the staffs dont give a damn there, so i guess its either a hit or miss? and plus, ive checked the radar where it shows a clear zone of flying a dron at bluffs?

I saw on instagram some people flew over cne and managed to capture a kickass pic..no idea how they managed to bypass the no fly zone since billy bishop is beside cne..
they clearly didn't have permission
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1646 posts
462 upvotes
Some years ago a friend of mine got tickets to the Rogers tennis tournament at York U and a drone came pretty much right over the stadium a few times. I don't think it was part of the official broadcast, those cameras are inside the stadium and some are on the high wires.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1527 upvotes
Space for rent
Anyone getting the magic pro 2? Would be a major bummer if you just bought it and got it confiscated minutes after taking its maiden flight.

$2000 usd for the goggles kit.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4177 posts
1096 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 1:27 am
Anyone getting the magic pro 2? Would be a major bummer if you just bought it and got it confiscated minutes after taking its maiden flight.

$2000 usd for the goggles kit.
They can't just confiscate it, just place a fee on you.

A lot of people fly them without abiding to rules in Toronto, but it's risky.

I've been contemplating it.
May 9, 2015
200 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
LOL is he mad??? you know how low the airplanes are above york u? LOL
May 9, 2015
200 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
I was curious the other day at cne and brought my drone along with me. The DJI app says if I want to fly around that billy bishop area I would have to pay a fee either through credit card or phone number LOL

so...does that means I am allow to fly if I pay? or is it still against FAA regulations??
Jan 10, 2009
673 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
msiboy wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 6:17 pm
I was curious the other day at cne and brought my drone along with me. The DJI app says if I want to fly around that billy bishop area I would have to pay a fee either through credit card or phone number LOL

so...does that means I am allow to fly if I pay? or is it still against FAA regulations??
That’s odd and doesn’t gell with the law. Plus the FAA has nothing to do with it, this isn’t America.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1507 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
msiboy wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 6:17 pm

The DJI app asks for a credit card or phone number for self unlock (when you're in a restricted zone) in order to verify your identity and for you to download an unlocked license to fly. This I think is really more for traceability purposes. Should anything happen while you're flying in that zone the authorities will be able to check with DJI to see who was registered to fly in the restricted zone. There is no exchange of funds for this transaction.

Funny though because the ex grounds should be outside of the restricted zone... maybe yellow zone at the worst so as long as you stay outside of the red restricted zone it shouldn't have asked you for self unlock. However if you took off in the yellow zone and then tried to enter the red restricted zone without unlocked license apparently the drone will automatically start to land and if it happens to be over water, kiss the drone goodbye.

Also the FAA does not have jurisdiction in Canada so flying near YTZ isn't against FAA regulations. It's against Transport Canada regulations.
Oct 9, 2018
1 posts
You are NOT allowed to fly a drone over the CNE. It's illegal to fly over any Midway rides and illegal to fly without Federal jurisdiction.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9274 posts
981 upvotes
Toronto
My buddy flew his DJI drone (inspire 1) as high as it could go at a place I was previously renting. It blew my mind the view you got from it and even more so because you couldn’t even see it anymore. And it’s not like an inspire is a tiny drone.

I then learned about the laws on them.

As a consumer, there’s almost no point in purchasing one as there’s so many laws in place basically making it illegal to fly them.

For the safest option, way the hell up north at a cottage, that’s the only way I’d feel fine flying one.