• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 9:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7777 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
notfromqc wrote: Some years ago a friend of mine got tickets to the Rogers tennis tournament at York U and a drone came pretty much right over the stadium a few times. I don't think it was part of the official broadcast, those cameras are inside the stadium and some are on the high wires.
I was thinking how they stop drones from buzzing around large events.

So i google for the past Seoul Olympics and they had drones on guard with large nets to catch your non authorized drone.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
have you guys download the UAV app and change the distance setting. I changed the airports to 5.9KM and helicopers to 1.9km. seems like there are more places to fly in Toronto now
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Jan 13, 2019
1 posts
I live 10 km away from any airport and 6 KM away from Heliports - I don't understand why I'm still not able to fly my drone.
I live where the Star is on the map. this is so confusing .

5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from any airport listed in the Canada Flight Supplement
1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.45.18 AM.png
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
JoeI3485 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:56 am
I live 10 km away from any airport and 6 KM away from Heliports - I don't understand why I'm still not able to fly my drone.
I live where the Star is on the map. this is so confusing .

5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from any airport listed in the Canada Flight Supplement
1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
i think the website is not updated. Just use the UAV app and you should be fine.
Jan 10, 2009
822 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Bear in mind it's not 5.9km from the centre of an airport, it's 5.9km from any point of an airport. Additionally you're falling inside Hamilton's control zone, which you're also not allowed to fly inside. That's the light pink bit with the yellow boundary centred on Hamilton airport. So even though you're beyond the 5.9km from the airport, you're still inside it's control zone so yup, no fly.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:26 pm
Bear in mind it's not 5.9km from the centre of an airport, it's 5.9km from any point of an airport. Additionally you're falling inside Hamilton's control zone, which you're also not allowed to fly inside. That's the light pink bit with the yellow boundary centred on Hamilton airport. So even though you're beyond the 5.9km from the airport, you're still inside it's control zone so yup, no fly.
yup you are right. my mistake there. he is in controlled airspace.
Feb 14, 2007
18 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone suggest a beginner friendly flying club in Mississauga.
Thx
May 12, 2019
1 posts
So... if you can get your drone under 250g flight weight, it's technically just a toy and exempt from most of these. Right?

My Wingsland S6 manual says it's 230g. Weighed without battery, 189g. Weighed with battery 260g. (smh)
But remove just the plastic shell and I bet you could shed 10g.

Or just not annoy anyone with it and it should be okay.
Jun 8, 2019
1 posts
Hello! I am planning to bring my Mavic 2 Pro with me on my next trip to Toronto. Is there anywhere I can fly so I can take videos & photos of the Toronto skyline with the CN Tower? Using UAV Forecast app but looks like by reading older posts in this thread, that almost all of the surrounding city bylaws are No-Fly-Zones. What about school playgrounds outside the 5.6km new June 1st Transport Canada regulation?
Jun 24, 2018
2 posts
"Hello! I am planning to bring my Mavic 2 Pro with me on my next trip to Toronto. Is there anywhere I can fly so I can take videos & photos of the Toronto skyline with the CN Tower? Using UAV Forecast app but looks like by reading older posts in this thread, that almost all of the surrounding city bylaws are No-Fly-Zones. What about school playgrounds outside the 5.6km new June 1st Transport Canada regulation?"

UAV forecast is no good. check out airmarket.IO

No where in toronto can you fly, that you will get a decent shot with the CN tower, unless you used a drone smaller than 250G

Im legit considering leaving ontario with the changes to the rules, toronto refusing to let up on these insane bylaws (5 million dollar liability to even apply for a permit to fly in a city park) and with ford, driving this place into the shits, not much keeping me here.
Jun 24, 2018
2 posts
So, having spoken to more city officials, you can obtain permits to fly in certain parks. It's a process to do so. But still, nothing downtown. It's all in Scarborough.