Computers & Electronics

Where to get the best price for a Xbox 360® Wireless N Networking Adapter?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2011 11:58 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 1, 2010
231 posts
66 upvotes
Hamilton

Where to get the best price for a Xbox 360® Wireless N Networking Adapter?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where the best place is to get a Xbox 360® Wireless N Networking Adapter or something similar that works?
My PC is too far from my xbox to run a direct cord, so I would like to find a wireless adapter.

Here's what I found at Warlmart, but there's no way I'm paying $100! I would be better off spending an extra $200 and getting a PS3!

The only game I play is NHL, so save the you should have got a PS3 comments, haha... Xbox = greater for NHL!

Thanks!
WTF REF
10 replies
Feb 28, 2009
134 posts
14 upvotes
There's a $30 solution. Buy an 802.11N router, configure it to standard bridge mode and plug this into your xbox. eg. NCIX has a Linksys WRT310N on sale today for $29.99: ncix-12-days-christmas-1119213/?prefixid=Comp9

A Google search will show you dozens of tutorials on how to do this. Good luck :)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Yup. Or even if you look on kijiji sometimes, you can find cheap wrt54g's (make sure you get the version with 16mb RAM and 4mb flash!) or similar, which can be configured to client bridge, for $10-$15.

The upside is, of course, other computers in your living room can plug into it as well, instead of being limited just to the XBox360 itself.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
Too bad you missed the Dell Days of Deals sale on the Trendnet TEW-640MB for $39.99. I have the TEW-647GA which is essentially the same but with only a single port and it works a treat.

NCIX seems to have the lowest price right now: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... e=TRENDnet
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Sep 1, 2010
231 posts
66 upvotes
Hamilton
blainehamilton wrote: Clearance at Staples for $69.96 right now. Several local locations to me have 50% off last ticketed electronics clearance, so $35.

Can anyone else confirm this in their area?

Also, with the router suggestion, is it pretty straight forward?

*edit*
I found this... http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... 05807E425D would it work?

Or this.
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=2513534
WTF REF
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Stay away from the USB solution.

I would recommend a "pocket router" (PR), such as Trendnet or D-Link.

Both of these units operate in any one of three modes - router, access point, or client. In "client mode" (aka bridge mode), you will be able to connect the PR to the XBox via the existing Ethernet interface. The PR can be USB powered, which may be convenient (but it is not using USB for network connectivity).

Or connect the PR to an Ethernet switch and network the XBox, your TV, or anything else in the vacinity.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
blainehamilton wrote: Clearance at Staples for $69.96 right now. Several local locations to me have 50% off last ticketed electronics clearance, so $35.

I saw that at the Oliver Square location today, but they only had 20% off. Which location(s) have 50% off?
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Sep 1, 2010
231 posts
66 upvotes
Hamilton
Agh, so many options... I'm guessing buying another router is the most cost efficient eh?
My router I use right now is... http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=2513543
Should I just buy another one of these and connect it to the Xbox?

I'm looking for the cheapest and most reliable way.

Thanks for all the feedback!
WTF REF
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
With the factory firmware, I do not think the 615 will support a bridge connection. You would have to flash with an open source version - but maybe you have already done this.

The pocket routers (as mentioned above) or some of the Asus routers can be configured for bridge mode (connecting back to your existing router).

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)