Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2596 posts
31 upvotes

Where to get Canon Camera in US

My lil sis is in USA and wants to get a good camera.

I'm trying to find her a good price for the SD700IS / SD850IS or perhaps the SD800IS.
I know there are a lot of scammer sites in the US but I don't know who's good or not.

Any suggestions on where to look?

I found TigerDirect US has it for $309:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 59&CatId=7

I know TigerDirect.ca is a bit notorious but how is the US store?
Any other stores that might be good?
My Heatware
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2954 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Best Buy? Circuit City?
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Chrispy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 1:12 am
Best Buy? Circuit City?
Not much of a point to go across the border to those two big-box stores :confused:
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4682 posts
144 upvotes
Winnipeg
Majoram wrote:
Sep 4th, 2007 4:04 pm
My lil sis is in USA and wants to get a good camera.

I'm trying to find her a good price for the SD700IS / SD850IS or perhaps the SD800IS.
I know there are a lot of scammer sites in the US but I don't know who's good or not.

Any suggestions on where to look?

I found TigerDirect US has it for $309:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 59&CatId=7

I know TigerDirect.ca is a bit notorious but how is the US store?
Any other stores that might be good?
Just beware that most companies in the US will ship to Canada via UPS. If it's shipped via UPS ground, you need to clear customs yourself or else you'll end up paying an extra $50 or more for UPS to clear customs for you.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
cipher wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 8:50 am
Amazon will not ship Canon products to Canada.
The first sentence in this thread:
"My lil sis is in USA and wants to get a good camera."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2596 posts
31 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 7:31 am
Not much of a point to go across the border to those two big-box stores :confused:
Any particular reason why not?
My Heatware
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Majoram wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 9:01 am
Any particular reason why not?
Other than the minor price difference between two similar cameras? The selection is nowhere near as good in the big-box stores than in a more specialized camera shop. Best Buy won't carry the Nikon D200 or the Canon 5D, for example. Plus, Nikon Canada will not cover the warranty on a camera that was bought in the USA. They'll tell you to ship it across the border.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2596 posts
31 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 10:53 am
Other than the minor price difference between two similar cameras? The selection is nowhere near as good in the big-box stores than in a more specialized camera shop. Best Buy won't carry the Nikon D200 or the Canon 5D, for example. Plus, Nikon Canada will not cover the warranty on a camera that was bought in the USA. They'll tell you to ship it across the border.
Oh, thanks for the info but as per my post, I'm buying it in the US for my sister who is in the US and I'm specifically looking for the Canon SD series, so selection is not really a concern.
My Heatware
Sep 9, 2003
761 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
B&H is your main US camera site, users on fredmiranda.com and other photo forums always quote it, mention it, and buy from it.
adorama.com is another big name US online sales site, well regarded as well.

Either of those will do, whichever one gives you the best deal. (I see on amazon.com adorama has the 850is for 309 plus free shipping right now, so same as TD but from a better reputed dealer)
Signs you're a postwhore:
1) You say "I got that cheaper", but don't say where, or when.
2) Your post contains less than 5 words.
3) Your post contains more than 5 words, but none of them are about the topic of the thread.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1216 posts
140 upvotes
Burnaby
malbadon wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 12:39 pm
B&H is your main US camera site, users on fredmiranda.com and other photo forums always quote it, mention it, and buy from it.
adorama.com is another big name US online sales site, well regarded as well.

Either of those will do, whichever one gives you the best deal. (I see on amazon.com adorama has the 850is for 309 plus free shipping right now, so same as TD but from a better reputed dealer)
i'm looking for the same thing. heading to portland on end of this week. Not sure if i want a canon again, considering mine crapped out after a few years.

There's Costco (there price includes shipping and they include a few 2gb SD card) and Fry's (never been there myself, but hear they're pretty cheap)