Wheels and Tires

Where to get cheap jack / wrench to change my tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 1:24 pm
Jan 17, 2009
887 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto

Where to get cheap jack / wrench to change my tires?

Hi all, I have a MB CLA 250 and 4 winter tires on rims. I'm tired of trying to find an appointment to change tires so looking to do it myself.

From my research I need a couple of things
- Jack to lift the vehicle up
- Jackstands to hold the vehicle up (maybe not needed for tire change? But needed for oil change?)
- Breaker bar to undo the lug nuts
- Torque wrench to torque the lug nuts into place

Is my shopping list correct? Where can I find cheap but good equipment to buy? Seems like there are a lot of different jacks and stuff at PA/CT/wherever. Don't know which is good to buy.

Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Princess Auto for most of it (breaker bar, sockets, jack stands and jack). As for the Torque wrench check out Amazon. The Tekton 24335 unit I bought a few years ago got rave reviews on Garage Journal. I've never had an issue with it and torque specs are basically perfect (Verified with a very expensive Snap-On unit) For $64 you cannot get anything better for the price.
Nov 10, 2015
386 posts
400 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Breaker bar - cdn tire
Torque wrench - cdn tire
Socket(s) - princess auto, cdn tire.
Jack - look for a sale. Get minimum 3 ton jack
Dont NEED a stand... But would def recommend especially if its your first time working on your car.

Dont waste your $ on a "cheap" jack. If its just that car you are working on,you can be cheap and buy one socket. Probably a 17mm for a MB.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Breaker bar -- not strictly necessary if you have a torque wrench. But cheap and you can put a cheater pipe on unlike a torque wrench if need be.

Definitely agree with the recommendation for a 3 ton jack. Consider it an investment. Make sure you get a low profile one.

Buy a set of 1/2" *deep* sockets, metric, that are *impact* rated. And of course a 1/2" torque wrench. 3/8" stuff just isn't robust enough for this application.

Princess Auto will have the 4 jackstands you need. If you intend to change tires on anything bigger than a car, get the heavier duty ones. If not, then you can stick with the smaller ones.

Future purchases can include an electric (or air) impact gun, which will make the process of removal even faster and less tiring (never use an impact gun to torque wheel bolts though!).

(if shopping at Princess Auto -- all this stuff goes on sale, BTW, so watch the flyers unless you have to purchase immediately):
tools.png
Jan 2, 2012
74 posts
32 upvotes
I loaned a torque wrench from Canadian Tire and used the jack that came with the car. The only thing I bought was a 19mm deep socket for the lug nuts. It takes me about 45 minutes to do all four wheels.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
First time I changed over my wheels I did not have a proper jack, so I used the included scissor jack that comes with the car. It's usable if it's your only option, which is the intended use, otherwise It makes the process much more involved, potentially dangerous, and time consuming than it needs to be.

Otherwise solid advice here, you have done your homework.

As far as jacks, the 3 ton arcan jack from Costco has served me well. I believe they sell another 3 ton jack, it's blue and heavier compared to the arcan.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18180 posts
14180 upvotes
Toronto
Check your trunk
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget tire compressor so you can inflate your tires properly. They'll usually lose some air storing it for a season or 2.