Food & Drink

Where to get cream to make a double double coffee?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 7:53 am
[OP]
May 15, 2015
2 posts
Brampton, ON

Where to get cream to make a double double coffee?

Sorry for this extremely stupid question but I recently started drinking coffee and instead of constantly purchasing it I plan to make it at home.
I will be buying grounded coffee from the local supermarket
I was wondering what type of cream do mcdonalds/tims put in their double double or something I can use to replicate it similarly.

Is this the cream they put in their coffees?

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-2 ... lsrc=aw.ds

I'm just trying to find out what cream type they put in their coffees when you ask for a double double.

Thanks!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
563 upvotes
Aurora
No! That's powdered coffee whitener.

Coffee shops (and I'm sure McDonalds included) typically use 10%, aka "Half and Half" cream, like this available at any grocery store:
Though 5% "Light cream" can also be used.
Apr 28, 2014
164 posts
54 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If you've just started drinking coffee, consider trying not to acquire the taste many Canadians have for tonnes of cream and sugar in it. It's a small thing on its own, but a cup of coffee a day at either a bit of milk or cream, or two creams and sugars, is a big difference in fat and sugar intake over the course of a year or decade.

That's not at all what you asked, though, so I shall shut my yob now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6117 posts
931 upvotes
Mississauga
If you've been drinking Tim Hortons double double coffee, they use 18 percent cream (table cream).

Last edited by Raggie on Dec 5th, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36814 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
SouthOnt wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:09 pm
If you've just started drinking coffee, consider trying not to acquire the taste many Canadians have for tonnes of cream and sugar in it. It's a small thing on its own, but a cup of coffee a day at either a bit of milk or cream, or two creams and sugars, is a big difference in fat and sugar intake over the course of a year or decade.

To be fair... coffee has full flavor when not a lot of sugar and cream masking the flavors!

However a bit of cream is okay as it gives a lovely smooth texture.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4808 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
Like mentioned earlier, I also thought TH and McDs used 18% table cream and not HH like more conventional cafes often have.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3812 posts
535 upvotes
Regina
i like a spot of hazelnut creamer in my coffee if it is run of the mill coffee
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
DiceMan wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:33 pm
...Coffee shops (and I'm sure McDonalds included) typically use 10%, aka "Half and Half" cream, like this available at any grocery store:
Ingredients:
Milk, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
563 upvotes
Aurora
Becks wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:11 pm
Ingredients:
Milk, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan.
Yeah, I know. But what are you going to do besides churn your own cream? Here's the ingredient list from another brand: Natrel Half/Half 10%: Milk, cream, mono and diglycerides, disodium phosphate, sodium citrate, carrageenan. http://www.natrel.ca/en/node/3358
Maybe places like Nature's Emporium or Whole Foods might sell cleaner cream but that's not used at the big coffee shops.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1281 posts
350 upvotes
London
DiceMan wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:06 pm
Yeah, I know. But what are you going to do besides churn your own cream?
I don't think you understand churning.
Churning doesn't produce cream. It is a process applied to cream.
If you churn your own, you'll just end up with butter and buttermilk.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
563 upvotes
Aurora
arisk wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:42 pm
I don't think you understand churning.
Churning doesn't produce cream. It is a process applied to cream.
If you churn your own, you'll just end up with butter and buttermilk.
You're right. I have no idea. Point was just that most of the creams available at the store appear to have additives.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5711 posts
278 upvotes
BC
DiceMan wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:45 pm
You're right. I have no idea. Point was just that most of the creams available at the store appear to have additives.
I just looked at mine and ingredients are: milk, cream
Thats for Half and half 10%

Every grocery store sells cream, like others have said its normally 10% or 15% cream, try one of each and see what you like best. Whipping cream is 35% cream and I have to admit when I have it in the house I sometimes indulge and put a bit in my coffee, super rich flavour!

Dont try to skimp and buy milk... I wont even drink coffee if the option is milk.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:50 pm
I just looked at mine and ingredients are: milk, cream
Thats for Half and half 10%

Every grocery store sells cream, like others have said its normally 10% or 15% cream, try one of each and see what you like best. Whipping cream is 35% cream and I have to admit when I have it in the house I sometimes indulge and put a bit in my coffee, super rich flavour!

Dont try to skimp and buy milk... I wont even drink coffee if the option is milk.
I was like that once... Now down to 1 sugar. I don't even like any milk or cream in it... except in ice cream form. Can't shake that last sugar from going completely black.
Oct 23, 2017
60 posts
14 upvotes
Burlington ON
SouthOnt wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:09 pm

I was at a Timmy's in Hamilton downtown one morning and a ragged looking couple ahead of me both ordered a "triple-triple". The server didn't bat an eye. Is that what you call a healthy breakfast in Hamilton? LOL
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5711 posts
278 upvotes
BC
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:47 pm
I was like that once... Now down to 1 sugar. I don't even like any milk or cream in it... except in ice cream form. Can't shake that last sugar from going completely black.
I'm the opposite, I could easily do just cream, no sugar... but I do put in a bit to sweeten as I like my coffee strong.
That's my 2cents worth