Sports & Recreation

Where to get CSA approved hockey helmet for my petite daughter?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2009 7:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34362 posts
6270 upvotes

Where to get CSA approved hockey helmet for my petite daughter?

My daughter will be taking some skating lessons at the community center and I know that the hockey helmet we got at [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] for her was too big and heavy and I think one end broke off.

Are there hocket helmets that are smaller and fit little girls better and where can I buy them in the GTA? A quick check on [rfdlink=1]canadiantire.ca[/rfdlink] only yielded those big and round hockey helmets.

Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1297 upvotes
Best bet is to try and go to a store that deals with hockey equipment on a regular basis all year round like National Sports or Just Hockey...and have someone who knows how to fit a helmet properly do it for you.

Usually ( though not always ), they have staff that have has some basic training in how to fit all hockey equipment properly - including helmets.

You basically want a good ' YOUTH ' hockey helmet - they come in Toddler, Small / Medium, Medium / large sizes - of a major brand like CCM, Bauer, Mission, Nike etc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34362 posts
6270 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2009 10:20 am
Best bet is to try and go to a store that deals with hockey equipment on a regular basis all year round like National Sports or Just Hockey...and have someone who knows how to fit a helmet properly do it for you.

Usually ( though not always ), they have staff that have has some basic training in how to fit all hockey equipment properly - including helmets.

You basically want a good ' YOUTH ' hockey helmet - they come in Toddler, Small / Medium, Medium / large sizes - of a major brand like CCM, Bauer, Mission, Nike etc.
Thanks Poedua for the great response. I'll be heading to Vaughn Mills today and will see if there are stores that sell the helmets. Have brought up the websites of National Sports and Just Hockey so we can also check them out.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1297 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2009 10:54 am
Thanks Poedua for the great response. I'll be heading to Vaughn Mills today and will see if there are stores that sell the helmets. Have brought up the websites of National Sports and Just Hockey so we can also check them out.
Go to the " Pro Hockey Life " store at Vaughn Mills - reportedly the biggest hockey store in Canada - their trained staff should be able to easily ' fit ' your daughter's helmet properly IMO.

And if you buy the helmet at Vaughn Mills, be sure they make any adjustments right then and there in front of you when while your daughter has the helmet on .........again, they should adjust and fit the helmet for you at the store...this ( fitting / adjusting ) isn't something you should have to do on your own when you get home. In fact, I'd ask the staff to fit at least 2 or 3 different brands of helmets. Then ask your daughter which one ' feels ' better on her head - she'll inevitably pick one that ' feels the best '.

Make sure your daughter tries on 2 or 3 different brands of helmets will also help her to get used to the feeling of simply having a helmet on for about 10 minutes or so till she gets used to how it feels - it'll make it easier to decide on one brand over another. There's no need to get sold on the first helmet the staff member shows you either for fit or price ( i.e she doesn't need the most expensive helmet ) - take your time to get the right fit for your price range.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34362 posts
6270 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2009 11:17 am
Go to the " Pro Hockey Life " store at Vaughn Mills - reportedly the biggest hockey store in Canada - their trained staff should be able to easily ' fit ' your daughter's helmet properly IMO.

And if you buy the helmet at Vaughn Mills, be sure they make any adjustments right then and there in front of you when while your daughter has the helmet on .........again, they should adjust and fit the helmet for you at the store...this ( fitting / adjusting ) isn't something you should have to do on your own when you get home.

Make sure your daughter tries on 2 or 3 different brands of helmets as each may feel sightly different. There's no need to get sold on the first helmet the staff member shows you either for fit or price ( i.e she doesn't need the most expensive helmet ) - take your time to get the right fit for your price range.
Thanks again. It's good I checked back on this thread.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1297 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2009 11:37 am
Thanks again. It's good I checked back on this thread.
No problem. :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1297 upvotes
cata2you wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2009 11:14 pm
I've been in Sportinglife today and saw couple nice helmets for little ones for 69.99 and 99.99. (size Small 49-54) Here is the link to store locator:

http://www.sportinglife.ca/sportinglife ... E4B3FBB76F

Cheers,
Cata
FYI ...the " Pro Hockey Life " website has some BAUER / NIKE HELMET helmets a bit cheaper starting at $39.99 and a number of others at the $45 +/- price point.

Not sure if these include YOUTH sizes though ( but I think the sizes DO include Extra Small )
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34362 posts
6270 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2009 10:20 am
FYI ...the " Pro Hockey Life " website has some BAUER / NIKE HELMET helmets a bit cheaper starting at $39.99 and a number of others at the $45 +/- price point.

Not sure if these include YOUTH sizes though ( but I think the sizes DO include Extra Small )
Hi Poedua, we ended up buying the Nike Bauer helemet at $40. Thanks again. I couldn't believe it being so light weight compared to the earlier one we bought from Walmart two years ago.
× < >