Off Topic Archive

Locked: Where to get hair cut to donate to charity? (in TO?)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2011 1:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 20, 2003
281 posts
Mississauga

Where to get hair cut to donate to charity? (in TO?)

Hey guys

I havent been able to find a hair dresser that will cut my hair and donate it to charity (cancer charity) like Locks of Love (http://www.locksoflove.org/) or any other (I think they are the most popular)

Anyone here have experience and got their hair cut some where in Toronto? I have asked around and they are all like "i dont know how to cut it for that" and their website really doenst have much information other then braided and in a pony tail, but my hair is curly and not easily done, and as of jan 06 they took a list of hair dressors of their site saying a hair dressor will have a sign (i havent seen any)

Im just trying to do something good, but they are making it so hard

Any help would be appricaited and dont flame cause its for a good cause - thanks

PS. I'm a guy if that matters
Share:
48 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3066 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I'm actually going to get this done soon. Here is the info for organizations accepting hair donations in Ontario. I haven't decided which one to donate to (probably the first one). I once had an article from a magazine that said that a certain hair salon will cut hair for free; however I'm not sure if I can find it again. I'll let you know if I find it.

Angel Hair for Kids
Division of A Child
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I did quite a few of these when I was working as a hairstylist. All they have to do is to put in a ponytail and cut above the rubber band. It's not anything complicated, in fact I had one client that came in and her 4 yr old (a cancer survivor) actually cut the ponytail off for her. Once it's cut off you mail it to one of the charities as specified already. Any stylist or barber can do this...
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
Fiancee did this a year or two ago. She just went to our regular hairdresser and told them what she was doing and how much to take off (in her case it was 10 inches. Some charities ask for less, some more). He put it in a ponytail, elastics at each end, chopped it off, and gave it to her. He then proceeded to give her a very nice short hairstyle. When we got home we put the ponytail in an envelope and mailed it off to the charity.

Good for you for doing this -- Good luck with it.
Feb 20, 2005
647 posts
the UofT commerce program just did a cuts-for-cancer event couple of weeks ago where ppl go in to cut their hair and raise money for charity there, I know a lot of my friends who did it. Too bad it was couple of weeks ago already.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2003
281 posts
Mississauga
The problem is my hair is only like 12 inches, and its curly, so its hard to tie it up into a single pony tail and just cut it

The only way I think its possiable it to make smaller pony tails then cut from the my head in that area, bit harder, but hopefully can be done...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3066 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I finally went and got my hair cut. There goes 15" of hair! Maybe I'll take a photo of the braid and post it... :)

Edited: maybe I should find a short-haired avatar?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
3043 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
chococrazy wrote:I finally went and got my hair cut. There goes 15" of hair! Maybe I'll take a photo of the braid and post it... :)

Edited: maybe I should find a short-haired avatar?

Try this...

P.S... It is not very good.. but it will reflect your generous nature.. ;)
~~ Never argue with an idiot -- he will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.~~
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3066 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Cyber6 wrote:Try this...

P.S... It is not very good.. but it will reflect your generous nature.. ;)
Cyber6, you rock! I think I'll use it! :lol: That about the length I have it at now.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3066 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Here's the photo.

Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18557 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
chococrazy wrote:Here's the photo.

At first glance, i thought that was some sort of animal :lol:

nice of you to do that for charity though.
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
I've always wanted to donate my hair to charity, but I could never grow my hair 10". At max, I let my hair grow 4 or so inches before I have it cut.
Jun 23, 2005
150 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty sure that W salon on Queen West and Palmerston/Tecumseth does this for free. sorry I dont have the number
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2005
2445 posts
1 upvote
crabby1997 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2006 2:09 am
the UofT commerce program just did a cuts-for-cancer event couple of weeks ago where ppl go in to cut their hair and raise money for charity there, I know a lot of my friends who did it. Too bad it was couple of weeks ago already.
I vaguely remember Life-sci also had something like that few years ago.
LOL, I hope they do a lice check before using those hair.
现实的社会,毁了我一个做好人的机会。
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
spygurl13 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2007 8:36 pm
I'm pretty sure that W salon on Queen West and Palmerston/Tecumseth does this for free. sorry I dont have the number

You do know that the OP asked this question over a year ago? I would assume he got his hair cut by now........
× < >