Off Topic Archive

Locked: Where to get pepper spray? is it legal in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2006 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2005
835 posts
15 upvotes
Gta

Where to get pepper spray? is it legal in Ontario?

As title says, looking for a place to get pepper spray and also wondering if it's legal to use as a self-defense tool in ontario

thanks.
Share:
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6845 posts
394 upvotes
pretty sure that legally the only stuff you can buy is animal-grade (stuff they use on dogs). The stuff police carry can't be bought by the public b/c its too powerful, and if you get caught with it you can be charged. That said, you can probably find some useable stuff on the net somewhere.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#g6
Q. Is pepper spray allowed in Canada?

Criminal Code Regulations prohibit Mace and similar products designed to injure, immobilize or incapacitate a person. Bear sprays and similarly devices clearly designed for protection from wild animals are allowed.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5022 posts
6 upvotes
But what about using pepper spray for wildlife on people? Legal? :idea:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3613 posts
49 upvotes
EH100501AC wrote:But what about using pepper spray for wildlife on people? Legal? :idea:
:arrowu: As legal as using bear traps on people.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2005
835 posts
15 upvotes
Gta
hmm i don't understand why it should be illegal...
it's a tool for self-defense and it isn't lethal
sure there may be dumb@ss ppl who might abuse it but one can abuse other things like knives more so than a pepper spray and it'd be more dangerous than that
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
2518 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
You can get bear spray from Le Baron
Feb 2, 2005
910 posts
123 upvotes
You can get bear spray from Mountain Equipment CO-OP in Calgary. Not too sure about other stores in other cities.

When you buy it, you must show ID and you sign a contract saying that you will not use it on any person, only as self defense against wildlife.

So even if you used it against a mugger, the mugger might sue you for assult. -- What a great justice system!
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
ask jean cretian where to get it.. apparently some citizen was peppersprayed to protect the safety of jean, he made a statement following the incident about putting the pepperspray on your meals to avoid explaining to the media what it was all about.. i could use a bit of pepperspray on my bbq sausages..
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1126 posts
56 upvotes
It is illegal to use or carry pepper-spray in Ontario.

But the anti-animal spray isn't.

You can try to find pepper-foam... it comes outta the can like shaving cream so the risk of getting other people exposed is less than the spray. Laws on the foam is still up in the air.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Pepper Spray/Mace is considered a prohibited weapon and grounds for you to be arrested if caught with it.

Bear/Animal Spray is not not prohibited, however, depending on the circumstances if you use it on a person it could be considered a weapon.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34257 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
self defence is practically illegal in canada.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:self defence is practically illegal in canada.
It's legal, there's just too fine of a line between aceptable and excesive use of force that sometimes gets people in trouble.

I also shake my head when I see people wanting to carry OC Spray/Mace. Most people who carry it for "self protection" have zero formal training on how to use it properly.

So think of this way. I try and attack you, I see you pull out your little can of pepper spray that has 5 seconds worth of spray. You unload all of it at me and get it all over my hands and clothes and completely missing my face/eyes/mouth/noise....... OC Spray and Mace do NOTHING when they come incontact with skin. Ergo, as a result of you getting my clothes all wet, I'm even more pissed off at you and I continue to attack you while you wonder why I didn't run off when you sprayed me.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34257 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
cwb27 wrote:It's legal, there's just too fine of a line between aceptable and excesive use of force that sometimes gets people in trouble.

I also shake my head when I see people wanting to carry OC Spray/Mace. Most people who carry it for "self protection" have zero formal training on how to use it properly.

So think of this way. I try and attack you, I see you pull out your little can of pepper spray that has 5 seconds worth of spray. You unload all of it at me and get it all over my hands and clothes and completely missing my face/eyes/mouth/noise....... OC Spray and Mace do NOTHING when they come incontact with skin. Ergo, as a result of you getting my clothes all wet, I'm even more pissed off at you and I continue to attack you while you wonder why I didn't run off when you sprayed me.
I remember hearing one time... that a guy broke into someones house and smashed the owners head with a brick... then when the owner woke up he stabbed the trepasser in the neck causing severe life threatening injuries.

The homeowner ended up getting a yr is prison b/c knife>rock....
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5022 posts
6 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:So even if you used it against a mugger, the mugger might sue you for assult. -- What a great justice system!
If the mugger actually tracks you down or something. Who would just run away after someone trying to mug them and they pepper sprayed them?
× < >