Home & Garden

Where to get rid of building material, concrete slabs, small rocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2009 12:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 3, 2006
119 posts
3 upvotes

Where to get rid of building material, concrete slabs, small rocks?

Hi,

I have a small amount of building material waste, a few broken concrete slabs and a number of smallish (~5-10lb) rocks that I need to get rid of, and I'm wondering where I can take this stuff to do so.

I'm in Markham which doesn't have any transfer stations that accept these items, any suggestions for alternatives?

I don't mind paying a bit of money to do so and I don't want to do any illegal dumping.

Thanks!
8 replies
Nov 12, 2005
74 posts
Toronto
sfx wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 1:33 pm
Hi,

I have a small amount of building material waste, a few broken concrete slabs and a number of smallish (~5-10lb) rocks that I need to get rid of, and I'm wondering where I can take this stuff to do so.

I'm in Markham which doesn't have any transfer stations that accept these items, any suggestions for alternatives?

I don't mind paying a bit of money to do so and I don't want to do any illegal dumping.

Thanks!

Subject to confirmation, but my understanding is that at Lowe's, you can "purchase" a 4' x 4' x 4' cloth sack for $40 that can be filled with whatever you need to throw out. You'll have to determine if Lowe's picks it up or if you drop it off when finished, but for $40, that's a pretty good deal.

Other than that, try a disposal bin. Pricey, but effective. I used these guys before and had a good experience:
http://www.fairlightdisposal.ca/
Typically, bins will take most anything except asphalt. Concrete ok, just pricey as they charge you by how many days you have the bin and net weight of the contents. Don't go with GotJunk, since they REALLY hose you on price for a little convenience. Also, if you get together with neighbours/friends, you can split the cost of the bin (and get rid of alot of crap!)

Cheers
[OP]
Mar 3, 2006
119 posts
3 upvotes
The 4x4x4 sack thing from Lowe's sounds interesting, I'll definitely check that one out. I don't need a bin, I think I'd fill maybe 1/10 of one. :)

Thanks for the info.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Some people might be interested in that stuff to use as landfill, which they would then put dirt over top of. I've driven past peoples houses , mostly in ruralr areas with signs that said "clean fill wanted". Maybe keep an eye out for this sort of thing?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Nov 21, 2004
480 posts
7 upvotes
If the 4x4x4 is similar to the Rhino bag HD offers, you need read the fine prints. I think how it works is that you buy the bag for like $30 but when you call for pickup, they charge you $130.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
In Calgary you just drive it to a landfill and dump it there. The charge is 5$ for first 250kg. Did it myself for very similar stuff.

Another option is just hide it under the deck (if you have one) until you find what to do with them. I crashed several slabs on smaller pieces and used them as a back-fill when did a retaining wall (for drainage). Smaller rocks can be used for landscaping.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
I freecycle almost all of our leftover landscaping materials (right down to about 15 yards of fill!)

Try your local freecycle group.
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Dec 9, 2007
537 posts
13 upvotes
I am out in Oshawa and there are always a few places around with signs that say clean fill wanted. When I did my landscaping I took the excess earth, gravel and old padio stones/ concrete I got rid of it at one of these places. Check kijiji or something, they may have something posted there. Taking concrete to a transfer station will cost a fortune since they charge by the weight!
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
whodaphucru wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 9:08 pm
I am out in Oshawa and there are always a few places around with signs that say clean fill wanted. When I did my landscaping I took the excess earth, gravel and old padio stones/ concrete I got rid of it at one of these places. Check kijiji or something, they may have something posted there. Taking concrete to a transfer station will cost a fortune since they charge by the weight!
if you can load it into your car car it will probably be under flat rate threshold. As OP mentioned he has few broken slabs so it's very unlikely we are talking about tons. Check you landfill very likely you will be able to drive and drop it there and it probably gonna be cheapest option. As I posted above I paid 5$ flat for 100+kg of construction waste (drywall, broken patio slabs and retaining wall blocks).
× < >