Pets

Locked: Where is a good place to find a mate for my dog?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2018 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1171 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Where is a good place to find a mate for my dog?

So, my dog is approx 2 years old, he's not fixed yet...
We are trying to find him a mate, and maybe breed once before fixing him..

Where should I look to find him a good mating partner?
Share:
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4237 posts
800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Crisqo wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 12:02 pm

Unless you're fairly knowledgeable with breeding, I don't think you should do this. Are you also prepared to support the pups afterwards and provide them a good home?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11028 posts
1714 upvotes
Very bad idea. There are too many unwanted pets in this world, why intentionally bring in more?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1171 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I can provide the new puppies with good home...

and would rather intentionally bring one in thru my own dog, and keep it within family..
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
Another fool thinking his dog should mate because it's a "pure bred", right?. http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/byb.htm
And since you have the male, it would be the female's owner that would be dealing with the pups, and no respectable breeder is going to let their ***** breed with just any dog.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
110 upvotes
Crisqo wrote:

What? I don't think that's a good idea to be honest...

The dog will feel terrrrribleee and emo after.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17638 posts
2341 upvotes
Langley
Bad idea. Every puppy that is bred intentionally takes up a spot in a household that should be used for animals in shelters.

Also, it's the female that gives birth to puppies, not the male. Mating him isn't going to get you any puppies anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7739 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga
You may want to call up a professional breeder (of your dog's type) and get their opinion and advice.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 26, 2010
895 posts
1190 upvotes
Crisqo wrote:

Have you done enough research on this before asking this question?

If you truly love your dog, I don't think you should breed him and get him neutered asap.

You know that neutering your dog will greatly reduce the chance of cancer, right?
(especially Testicular Tumors, Perianal Tumors and other related medical issues)

You know that neutering your dog as early as possible will decrease aggression, roaming and many negative behaviors, right?

You know that neutering your dog will reduce the chance of him getting Prostate Problems, right?

You know that breeding a dog might probably cost you more than buying another puppy from a breeder, right?

Nevertheless, regarding to your initial intention to breed your dog ...

You know that most animal, especially the male (that you own) probably won't recognize its own young, nor they really care if the other dog presented in the household is blood-related, right ?

I really hope that you'd consider all those questions before making your decision. Don't say it like you are trying to make your dog happy by breeding him, it's your own want/need.
Apr 24, 2018
1 posts
I'm looking to breed my Bishon Frise. She is a pure breed. I am sure that if you were to breed your dog, after the puppies reach 8 weeks, sell them cheaper than a pet store. Puppies sell so quickly.
May 18, 2018
1 posts
In what area are you located. I have a Bichon male that can breed.