Personal Finance

Where in the GTA can I buy $$$ British pounds ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2005 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10397 posts
1468 upvotes
Toronto

Where in the GTA can I buy $$$ British pounds ?

Need some money or traveller checks in british pounds. Actually, it s for a friend who had a family emergency and will be flying tomorrow.

Any location in the GTA (preferably west end) ?? Do the major banks (Scotia, CIBC, TD, etc....) keep british pounds in cash ?

Thanks.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
8 replies
Feb 3, 2005
408 posts
1 upvote
laptop-tech wrote: Do the major banks (Scotia, CIBC, TD, etc....) keep british pounds in cash ?

Thanks.
Yes
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
any bank.
any thomas cook
some places like western union etc.

if u'r looking for a few hundred or so, no probs.

west end GTA? Square one has a few money exchange places.
--
There is no happy ending
Aug 10, 2005
538 posts
22 upvotes
Airport? If it's an emergency, airport is probably the most convenient place, you have to be there anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
cloudycanada wrote:Airport? If it's an emergency, airport is probably the most convenient place, you have to be there anyway.
You'll get a better rate pretty much anywhere that isn't the airport. Check your local yellow pages under 'currency exchange' or 'foreign exchange'. Local bank branches might have the GBP you're looking for, but I'd call ahead to be sure. Also, bank rates sometimes aren't quite as good as specialty exchange houses but you're in a hurry so it probably isn't a big deal... good luck.
Dec 28, 2004
17 posts
I know when I lived in Halifax the only bank that kept British Pounds on hand was the Royal Bank main downtown branch, most likely in TO all banks would, but if Hali had it I'd guarantee the Royal main branch TO would
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
calforex or guardian fx currency

they're both downtown

both are excellent.
Mar 28, 2005
111 posts
Before my trip to Europe, i wanted to have some pocket cash before i arrived. At TD, they did not carry any foreign currency. You had to order, which may take a couple of days. They mentioned that there was some type of law against keeping it in branch. so I just went to the mall, where they had a exhange booth, and got it there, right away.
laptop-tech wrote:Need some money or traveller checks in british pounds. Actually, it s for a friend who had a family emergency and will be flying tomorrow.

Any location in the GTA (preferably west end) ?? Do the major banks (Scotia, CIBC, TD, etc....) keep british pounds in cash ?

Thanks.
Apr 21, 2005
396 posts
33 upvotes
Milton
Check out:

Coin & Currency Exchange
(905) 949-2646
1100 Burnhamthorpe Road West
Mississauga, ON L5C 4G4, Canada

It's in the large plaza at Creditview&Burnhamthorpe. I buy all my foreign currency there - you'll save at least 1% over banks...often much more. You can also use your debit card to 'pay' for the money.

-Andy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)