Computers & Electronics

Where in the GTA can I get parts for this simple wire?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2016 12:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There

Where in the GTA can I get parts for this simple wire?

I need to extend these wires about 2 feet so I am wondering where in Toronto I can buy the connectors (male and female) and wire. I think they are just crimp connections.

Does anyone know? Preferably downtown but I can go anywhere in the GTA.

Thanks

14 replies
Nov 13, 2005
414 posts
432 upvotes
Calgary
Canadian tire or princess auto if you have one
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
Even home depot, lowes or Rona will carry those as well. Just standard crimp connectors.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4597 posts
1657 upvotes
Brampton
Aren't those called blade connectors?
I thought crimp connectors were round, and you crimped them tight with a tool.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
How do you connect these then? Don't you also crimp them?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
prod wrote: Aren't those called blade connectors?
I thought crimp connectors were round, and you crimped them tight with a tool.
You're talking about a butt connector. The blades you speak of (and pictured) still have to be crimped on one side of the wire--I think that's what he means.
eonibm wrote: How do you connect these then? Don't you also crimp them?
Well you crimp the female ends on the other wire and then you just push them together physically--one plugs into the other like all male/female pairs. Or you could just cut off the ends, re-strip and use butt connector crimps. OR you could just cut them off strip the wires and solder/heatshrink them (but this is only appropriate if you don't intend on disconnecting/taking the wires apart again).

What is this for, anyway?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
eonibm wrote: How do you connect these then? Don't you also crimp them?
Strip wire, stick on connector, crimp with wire stripper (some wire strippers have a hexagon section which is used to crimp this type of connector).

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
ES_Revenge wrote: You're talking about a butt connector. The blades you speak of (and pictured) still have to be crimped on one side of the wire--I think that's what he means.

Well you crimp the female ends on the other wire and then you just push them together physically--one plugs into the other like all male/female pairs. Or you could just cut off the ends, re-strip and use butt connector crimps. OR you could just cut them off strip the wires and solder/heatshrink them (but this is only appropriate if you don't intend on disconnecting/taking the wires apart again).

What is this for, anyway?
Thanks. Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant connect as in connect to the wire itself.

It's for a low voltage power supply I need to connect as the wire is too short.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
looks like insulated blade connectors. Princess Auto or Canadian Tire in the automotive elecrical section will have them. Buy some automotive wire and crimp. You'll want female to connect to your existing wires and male to connect to whatever it is these ones connect to.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Don't know what your application is or how pretty you want it..... but why not just cut off the blade end leaving enough wire (6-8 inches?) to be able strip down to the metal (only 0.5 inch needs to be exposed). Do the same on the other end. Insert cable of sufficient guage, electrical tape the two ends and be done.

(Blade)-----------X***********X------------------(Blade)

X = cut and splice and tape
****** = new wire inserted for added length.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
singhrh wrote: Don't know what your application is or how pretty you want it..... but why not just cut off the blade end leaving enough wire (6-8 inches?) to be able strip down to the metal (only 0.5 inch needs to be exposed). Do the same on the other end. Insert cable of sufficient guage, electrical tape the two ends and be done.

(Blade)-----------X***********X------------------(Blade)

X = cut and splice and tape
****** = new wire inserted for added length.
Thanks. It is for a product that I sell and the customer has to be able to press fit the connectors.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Okay, if it is for a customer you'll want it to look nice.

If you have a Princess Auto near you they sell the male and female versions of the spade plug and you can make up your own cables any length you need.

If I recall Home Depot even sells them in their electrical department.
Apr 19, 2016
17 posts
Markham,ON
What about The Source stores (aka Old Radio Shack)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Thanks everyone! I went to Home Depot and managed to locate the male & female versions of the plug. The (very unhelpful) electrical department store clerk said the wire was 18 gauge and 7 strands without even asking me the purposed of the wire or what voltage, but he did ask the wattage but I didn't know actually off the top of my head. I asked how he knew it was strands not solid, and that there were 7 and he said he knew it was not solid because it was very flexible (makes sense). I take it that's also why he didn't need to ask if it was low voltage, ie because solid conductor and therefore more inflexible wire is used for high voltage. As for there being 7 strands he said he just knew. I asked him why he asked the wattage if he didn't seem to need to know that to make his determination of 18 gauge or 7 strands but he would not tell me. (Everything I asked him made me feel like I was interrupting his evening). Anyway, he said they didn't have 18 gauge 7 strand wire and told me to go to Nedco but then suddenly rotated the big set of wire spools they have there and found a 2 conductor wire that he was able to split in half and show me that it was stranded and 18 gauge and so I bought some of that.

Can anyone explain why he asked the wattage and how he knew it was 7 strands without cutting my cable? I take it he knew the gauge by looking at the thickness of the wire but then couldn't the wire have had thicker insulation and actually be thinner gauge than 18?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Hmm, the problem with the ones I bought is that the plugs are not entirely insulated, only the part that connects to the wire. I don't know the effect of not being insulated but the cables we have are so I want to make them exactly the same. Anyone know where I can get the fully insulated ones?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)