Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2006
296 posts
215 upvotes
Brampton

Where have the deals gone

Is it just me or are there less deals appearing on RFD. I've been a member for almost 10 years and the volume/% discounts has diminished. There used to be 9-10 pages of new threads in the Hot Deals section each time I checked. Today only 6 pages of bold threads on a Fri.

Hope it's just a seasonal anomaly.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6945 posts
1685 upvotes
T dot 6
I totally agree but there are so many factors. Currency changes. The rise of online shopping. The rise of cheap shipped from China goods. Better inventory management. RFD effect which kill good deals very quickly, like dead the same day if its really good.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4105 upvotes
Ottawa
Nah it's people who have stopped caring and sharing. Everyone will come in this thread and blame the $CAN but it's all a bull***** excuse because I'm finding just as many deals as before. I just don't post them for a few reasons; too much of a pain to post on mobile. The day the site finally makes it to this decade and has an app that lets users take a pic of an item in store with a price and upload it directly to the forums you'll see 5x as many deals. Also the thread crapping and bad deals are getting out of hand. If someone posts a *****ty deal they'll get a ton more dumb replies than a real deal, so the best deals I find end up on pages 4 or 5+. If these bad deals were nipped in the bud (thread deleted/closed) you'd finally see the better deals on the first few pages.

I stopped sharing because it's too much of a hassle to post deals. I've also spoken to someone who was pretty much top 3 HOT deals poster who says he doesn't post anymore for those reasons...

but yeah it's the exchange rate *eye roll*
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10812 posts
1348 upvotes
Edmonton
Best deals are clearance items for the last couple years. As the op mentioned, lack of competition and better inventory management results in less regular bargains from the day to day flyers.

Hence the flyers are all pretty much 'regular price'.

Clearance is seasonal too. Lots of clearance at Staples, RCSS and Home Depot right now, but you got to stroll thru a few stores and look for the tags. I blame the lazy not wanting to drive around and look, they just want it posted and ready to pickup in stock.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12931 posts
4009 upvotes
Ottawa
I know, for me, the threadcrapping really discourages me from posting anything. Unless it’s a clearance deal with stacked coupons which can be PM’ed to a price error that occurred 5 years ago, then it’s not a hot deal.
[OP]
May 6, 2006
296 posts
215 upvotes
Brampton
Agreed the clearance deals are the best. Last summer I found 10 lb spools of welding wire on clearance from $50 each to $1.96 at HD in London. The last few times I went to grab hardware store deals the stock was zero or could not be found. Very disappointing.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17472 posts
5410 upvotes
Toronto
Yes less deals because of the weak Canadian Dollar.