• Sep 1st, 2007 6:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
1122 posts
39 upvotes

Where and how to buy futons in the GTA

We've been looking for futons in the GTA lately, and it doesn't seem like there are many options available. When I was in Waterloo for school, there were definitely more options and better pricing...

Does anyone have any advice when buying futons in the GTA?

Where did you buy it?

What sort of pricing are we to expect?

And tips and tricks?

What's the RFD approach to Futons?

Thanks!
8 replies
Apr 5, 2006
393 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought my futon at a Futon store on Kennedy Road (somewhere south of Steeles - forget the intersection where the furniture stores start - but it's pretty easy to see them all if you drive down) a couple of years ago. There are tons of Futon/Furniture stores there. I was able to haggle a good price on a futon by going back and forth between two stores.

I don't recall off hand though the amount I paid, but it was a significant discount off the listed price.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
I recently bought a futon. I went to a few stores on Bloor St, west of Spadina. There are two stores within a block of each other.

This was one of them.
http://www.thefutonstore.net/

I think they target the U of T crowd.

I wanted something cheap for the second bedroom. I found the cheapest was about 300 to 400 with frame and mattress. The mattress cover was roughly 100 to 150 more.

I set my budget at 300 max, so I ended up going to Ikea which has a futon for 300 including frame, mattress and mattress cover.

If you want the cheapest thing, Ikea has a futon called the EXARBY which is only $150, but its pretty ghetto looking and the mattress isnt very good. You wouldnt want to sleep on that everyone night, but its ok for occasional use.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
1122 posts
39 upvotes
thanks for the replies folks. I have visited the Kennedy store before, but their prices just seemed a bit high. Do you recall how much of a percentage you were able to take off? The salesman offered me something that was 800+tax for 770 all in, but I think we can do better.

And about the bloor street futon places, maybe I should check out - I automatically ruled them out because it was on bloor (so I figured prices would be high because of high rent).
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Decided to bump this thread rather than start a new one.

We would like to buy another futon bed, simple wood frame a few inches off the ground type. The place I bought all three previous futons ( Queen and Bathurst area) is gone, so I'm looking for any others. I know of the two on Bloor St. Any others? West of TO would be great.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
daverach wrote: Just bought one, along with some bedroom furniture. I went to the Mississauga location and got excellent customer service.

http://www.bedroomandfutonshop.com/
Thanks. Came across that one on Google, good to hear a comment about it. How are their prices?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
Here are some of my futon tips:
- don't cheap out and get a thinner futon matress thinking you'll save a few bucks.
- invest some extra money to get a thicker quality matress that suits your needs, either firm or soft matress. When I got my futon i was offered an option to upgrae to from an 6'' to 10'' matress. For around $50-$75 More.
- do clean your matress cover regularly a few times a year at least. Many people just leave it on and don't bother and leave it on.
- many times the matress will outlive the frame.

Good Luck!
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
daverach wrote: Just bought one, along with some bedroom furniture. I went to the Mississauga location and got excellent customer service.

http://www.bedroomandfutonshop.com/
Went today and bought a simple frame and 8" mattress. Nice place, good selection and friendly staff. I foudn the prices quite reasonable too.

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)