Art and Photography

Where and how do you store your pictures/videos?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 1:29 pm
Aug 17, 2014
98 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Where and how do you store your pictures/videos?

So our iMac, Macbook and 2 iPhones are full of pictures and videos. It' something we should have figured out earlier...but I suppose better late than never. To my question, where do you store all your photos and videos?

Is an external hard drive best? Or somewhere online like the Cloud or Google photo? We want something simple, safe and easy to use.

Help?! Suggestions!?

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Depends on your purpose. If they are all simply family pictures and not meant for professional or hobbyist purposes, Google Photos has unlimited photo and video storage (at compressed but still good quality). You also have iCloud which is relatively for 50gb, and since you are in the Apple ecosystem, it's very simple to sync. Both are as simple as it gets.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1588 posts
1599 upvotes
Montreal
Crashplan if you want unlimited cloud backup.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
You like to live life dangerously?

Backing up should be an obsession!

I have backups for my backups for my backups. After I take photos, i load my memory card into an external drive that also gets copied to another external drive. Photos then also get backed up to Google Photos. Naysayers will say "quality reduction!" and I say, "better than nothing!"

When I have all those steps completed, that's when I delete/format my memory card.

Over my life time I've had so many hard drives fail for various reasons, some from power surges, some from who know what, and some started to make funny noises!
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
192 posts
44 upvotes
I store my photos and videos on my hard drive AND in Flickr. Flickr got 1TB space for free, that's very very helpful.
Oct 29, 2016
98 posts
9 upvotes
I'm not that good with photography. And I try not capture too many photos for a single scene. In short, I'm not a pro. I don't have a huge collection. I store my photos on Flickr. And I keep some of them (not all of them) on my computer.
Banned
May 11, 2017
26 posts
10 upvotes
backup two cards and one hard drive.
For good ones I always print out or write a disc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
Smugmug for the family and kids shots I keep in private galleries. Flickr for my public show-off shots. A hard drive dock and multiple hard drives to back up all the edited and original images. One drive gets swapped out periodically to a bank deposit box where I also keep a thumb drive with a reasonably current video of the contents of our house for insurance purposes.

I use one of these lay-flat designs because I got tired of knocking over the upright model I used to have and all the angst that would occur if there was a powered up drive in a slot.

http://plugable.com/products/usb3-sata-uasp1/

I bought this particular model because at the time it was one of the first I could easily obtain that had UASP support with the Asmedia 1053e chipset and this really allows USB3.0/3.1 transfer rates to max out.

Here's a copy & paste of a comment I've made in the past on this model.

"On my 8 year old system it was about 35% faster than what I'd seen with a Thermaltake unit that claimed to support USB3.0 but with my new i7-6700K system that has USB 3.1 ports it simply blows away anything I have used to date. Somewhere between 180 and 190 MB/s transfer rate with my photo & video folders, consistently! With folders having lots of smaller files it usually transfers at about half that rate."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)