Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
440 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Where is my Number Portability?

Back in April, a news item hit the wire that cell number portability was coming to Canada. According to the article , the cell companies were supposed to put out a plan on Sept. 1. So what up with that?

Spread the word, start asking your cell provider, make them back up their words with real action!
Share:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
Ditto... my contract is just about up and I need a new phone... would be glad to have the option of dumping Bell if a better deal was out there and I could keep my number...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3361 posts
34 upvotes
you should visit howardforums.com to find out more about number portability.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
i don't think it's going to happen any time soon (as soon as soon gets with government regulation and technology) Look how long it took to get HDTV and dvd.

i'm waiting to, but I'm not holding my breath.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2738 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't expect it until at least the beginning of next year...it has to be coordinated among all cell providers, all the bigwigs will have to sit down at dinner one night and agree on a date
Witty Comment
"I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
440 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
FYI, I emailed the contact listed on the press release and this was his reply:
We are expecting PricewaterhouseCoopers to complete their report shortly. After a review of the report, the WNP Task Force expects to be able to offer some preliminary implementation guidelines in the next few weeks. Because of the complexity of this undertaking, it is not possible to offer a timeline just yet. Thanks.
Banned
May 23, 2005
3038 posts
...over here!
I'll second (or third) that!

There's probably just a delay while all the bigwigs are scooping up all the easy to remember #'s...
"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note." -Doug Floyd
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1308 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
They won't offer this until they are forced to in court!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
60 upvotes
even with lnp, where are you going to go if you want to be on the gsm network?
Back for a limited engagement.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
440 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I'd switch to GSM today if they gave us number portability. Must wait a few more weeks....
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
680 news today reported that it wont be available until 2007.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
440 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Noticed that myself this morning. Not going to happen until September 2007, two more years...

Guess now is as good a time to dump Telus as any.

Announcement is posted at:
http://www.cwta.ca/CWTASite/english/wha ... 12_05.html
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
With the number of people who relying on cellular service, this is just too important to be leaving this up to the private sector to implement. Like national daycare, pensions, medical and, soon, the oil industry, we should just nationalize this ... one source, one set of phone numbers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
The simple fact is, cell phone companies resist this because it (a) costs money to implement (b) will increase their customer churn. They have every disincentive to resist.

Practically speaking, a portable number system could be rolled out in months were the stakeholders motivated.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
440 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I think it resulted from a threat to legislate it from the government. They were told do it yourselves or we'll do it for you.
× < >