9058 posts
7345 upvotes
Markham

Where is the outrage?

Crude Oil per Barrel: $53
Diesel per Liter: $1.05
Unleaded Regular per Liter: $1.21
Unleaded Premium per Liter: $1.38

Those prices are going to skyrocket as we get closer to the Summer.

Back when Crude was $100 a Barrel, gas prices were similar. We were told over and over that gas prices are highly dependant on fluctuating oil prices. Well that certainly isn't the case anymore.

No outrage?
84 replies
Mar 28, 2017
44 posts
20 upvotes
My understanding (at least on the west coast) is that two of four Washington State refineries have been doing maintenance. The lowered output has spiked prices.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13350 posts
13694 upvotes
Oakville
What good will being outraged do? We're in no position to influence as all stations are the same due to price collusion, so you can't take your money elsewhere. The only thing consumers can do is buy electric cars.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4615 upvotes
Montreal
Anikiri wrote: Crude Oil per Barrel: $53
Diesel per Liter: $1.05
Unleaded Regular per Liter: $1.21
Unleaded Premium per Liter: $1.38

Those prices are going to skyrocket as we get closer to the Summer.

Back when Crude was $100 a Barrel, gas prices were similar. We were told over and over that gas prices are highly dependant on fluctuating oil prices. Well that certainly isn't the case anymore.

No outrage?

Yeah that extra 10 cents a liter is outrageous when the average home in the GTA is up 33% to just under 1 million dollars in one year
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9800 posts
6226 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What's the point? Is anything going to change? Is Kathleen Wynne going to reverse her stupid taxes?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3849 posts
1220 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: What good will being outraged do? We're in no position to influence as all stations are the same due to price collusion, so you can't take your money elsewhere. The only thing consumers can do is buy electric cars.
Pretty much.... not like you can just boycott and not buy gas. Maybe that works for a day or two for some people, but not enough to matter. There needs to be a higher up power that can oversee these rates. Oh, and it's a long weekend so of course prices go up as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30950 posts
16719 upvotes
Ottawa
Less vehicles on the road this weekend...blessing in disguise; as I'm heading down to your neck of the woods.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20480 posts
4553 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Send a message to the oil companies by buying an electric car.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2227 posts
1778 upvotes
Montreal
Anikiri wrote: No outrage?
This is neither "for" nor "against", just FYI:

You do realize that when Trudeau implements his carbon tax/Paris accord, gas prices will skyrocket due to taxes, right?

This is a democracy, and this is what Canadians voted for.
Sep 21, 2004
10131 posts
4208 upvotes
Calgary
sandikosh wrote: Send a message to the oil companies by buying an electric car.
LOL I'm no longer outraged by these price gouging after placing the deposit on the Model 3.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13124 posts
7432 upvotes
Toronto
Meh, I just suck it up, and it doesn't help that I just bought a new ride that burns more than my truck and uses premium... Not complaining, there are bigger issues with the world today than gas.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 21, 2015
758 posts
358 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Possibly the only thing that might work short of govt intervention (like that will happen) would be if all drivers boycott Petro Canada completely and not just for a few days or weeks but a concerted effort lasting a full year or more. No retail sales whatsoever, go elsewhere, even out of your way if you have to as best you can. Don't go even if they reduce their prices or make special points offers to woo people back. There'll be a breaking point eventually and the message to the other retailers will be made as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30950 posts
16719 upvotes
Ottawa
Beneful1 wrote: Possibly the only thing that might work short of govt intervention (like that will happen) would be if all drivers boycott Petro Canada completely and not just for a few days or weeks but a concerted effort lasting a full year or more. No retail sales whatsoever, go elsewhere, even out of your way if you have to as best you can. Don't go even if they reduce their prices or make special points offers to woo people back. There'll be a breaking point eventually and the message to the other retailers will be made as well.
Why Petro?
Dec 28, 2010
550 posts
231 upvotes
oil production is higher than ever, a higher gas price either means higher taxes or more demand. The oil price will never go as high as it was. Ever.
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2092 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This carbon tax makes me mad every day. Unfortunately, car drivers tend to bend over and take it, me including.