• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 4:29 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
94 posts
13 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Where should i go to buy a adult bike?

hi, im considering to buy a bike for riding with my son.
it doesnt matter mountain or hybrid... etc.
budget around $100-150.
just checked Kijiji, Sportcheck, canadian tire, walmart.
but i dont know which brand makes better and reliable.
please recommend the best one within $150!!!
thanks
27 replies
Jul 5, 2004
22137 posts
2058 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:59 pm
there is nothing available new for $150.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/officia ... t-1165940/
Sure there is. Canadian Tire sells crappy Supercycle mountain bikes for $109. If that's the budget then that's what you get, a crappy bike that won't last. If it's just occasional use, it might do the trick though
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36357 posts
2370 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 8:46 pm
Sure there is. Canadian Tire sells crappy Supercycle mountain bikes for $109. If that's the budget then that's what you get, a crappy bike that won't last. If it's just occasional use, it might do the trick though
Walmart has a brand new cheap ass mountain bike for $99.99

Then you take that $15 you save to the dolla store and buy some front & rear lights for safety. The remainder you spend on a coconut to cover your head.

Just kidding. Seriouslt wear a approved helmet. It doesnt have to look nerdy. I have a bern that looks like a stylish hat.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2071 posts
1101 upvotes
ddash80 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 1:14 pm
hi, im considering to buy a bike for riding with my son.
it doesnt matter mountain or hybrid... etc.
budget around $100-150.
just checked Kijiji, Sportcheck, canadian tire, walmart.
but i dont know which brand makes better and reliable.
please recommend the best one within $150!!!
thanks
$150 is literally a throw-away bike that you don't mind tossing in the trash after a year or two. Brand won't matter at all. It's pretty much the same as asking "What's the best dress shirt I can buy with $10?" - the answer is the same too

If the budget is truly $150 and not a cent higher, go to any Canadian Tire or WalMart and just buy any bike that's the right size and price.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2883 posts
985 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
No no no, go to your local bike shop and tell them your budget is $150. Be sure to take a camera so you can record their reactions. Will they be polite and try to stifle their giggles, or will they fall to the floor in uncontrollable spasms of laughter?

They will be happy to sell you a set of plastic tire levers, a bottle of cleaner, and some chain oil for $150.

I went to a LBS in Collingwood to get a tire for my Schwinn. Every bike on the floor was $3000 plus. Asked the nice lady for a tire, she said, "what train are you running?".

Train?? What is she talking about? Via Rail runs trains. GO Transit runs trains. What the hell do trains have to do with bicycles? :D

Well, they got my tire for me, but they had to order it because they didn't stock any tires that would fit something unusual like a Schwinn. When I went back to pick it up, I parked at the back and snuck in the side door so the other customers wouldn't see me. Ha ha!
Jul 31, 2016
193 posts
93 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 10:11 am

I went to a LBS in Collingwood to get a tire for my Schwinn. Every bike on the floor was $3000 plus. Asked the nice lady for a tire, she said, "what train are you running?".

Train?? What is she talking about? Via Rail runs trains. GO Transit runs trains. What the hell do trains have to do with bicycles? :D

Well, they got my tire for me, but they had to order it because they didn't stock any tires that would fit something unusual like a Schwinn. When I went back to pick it up, I parked at the back and snuck in the side door so the other customers wouldn't see me. Ha ha!
Cool story bro, tell it again.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1019 posts
197 upvotes
Canadian tire or walmart is fine.

When you are done riding it and it rained, get a bar twel and just give a quick wipe to the rims and the bottom of the frame. Probably be good to put some grease on the bottom of the frame where the pedals connect, it will repel water.

If the gears don't seem to change very will or the brakes aren't very sharp just take it to a place for a tune up, otherwise the bikes are fine assuming you aren't planning on putting 500 km on the bike each and every week for 2 or 3 years.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
walmart & crappy tire are the only stores that sell cheap cheap bike. don't expect awesome performance from these steel bikes. you have to get mechanic adjust it before you ride because the walmart people don't know how to assemble bikes.
for example, the steering column or handle bar might not tighten up properly. you can crash and get serious injuries from using un-adjusted bike
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2883 posts
985 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
TicoGato wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:05 pm
Cool story bro, tell it again.
Why, did you have trouble understanding it the first time?

I encourage everyone to go to their Local Bike Shop and tell them their budget is $150 for a bike.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3523 posts
981 upvotes
Toronto
makaturing wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:39 pm

I encourage everyone to go to their Local Bike Shop and tell them their budget is $150 for a bike.
I'm not sure why you need to be so snobby about this? Why do you want people to laugh at him?

OP - you need a bike that you can ride with your son - you don't need a performance ride so yeah, just look at Walmart or Canadian Tire and buy one you can afford. I rode into work for years with one of those 'crappy' bikes and while it had its issues (gears mostly!) - it got me from A to B every time. I have since 'upgraded' and its a much smoother/easier ride but for what you need, pretty much any of those bikes will do. May not last forever but if you only ride occasionally you should be fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
superfresh89 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:05 pm
$150 is literally a throw-away bike that you don't mind tossing in the trash after a year or two. Brand won't matter at all. It's pretty much the same as asking "What's the best dress shirt I can buy with $10?" - the answer is the same too

If the budget is truly $150 and not a cent higher, go to any Canadian Tire or WalMart and just buy any bike that's the right size and price.
Agreed. If you go into a real bike store, $125 will get you a low to mid-range helmet. My pedals are $140 retail.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jul 5, 2004
22137 posts
2058 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:39 pm

Sometimes a throw away bike is all that's needed. I recently bought one from Canadian Tire. The only time I ever use it is to put my son on the back in a carrier and ride around the area. The ride doesn't last long before he wants out. When the time comes that he can go for long rides on his own bike, then I will get a more expensive bike that will last longer, but for the time being, I don't even ride 5 KM's in a week, so cheap is perfect for me. Not everyone needs a $1000 bike.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4383 posts
234 upvotes
I'd check Pawn shops as well OP, better than Kijiji (unless it's a shop with a bunch of reviews saying it's a scam but they're usually decent). Also see if you can find a used bike sort of store that specializes in selling bikes to students.

Oh and the Canadian Tire bike I got back in 2000 still works lol, bit squeaky but still going, I guess they're weaker now.
It takes an ocean not to break