Sports & Recreation

Where should i go to buy a adult bike?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 4:29 pm
Jul 3, 2010
111 posts
1 upvote
What used bike (brand name) can you get in $300-$500 and where do you go to buy it?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10231 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote:
May 30th, 2017 9:13 am
Sometimes a throw away bike is all that's needed. I recently bought one from Canadian Tire. The only time I ever use it is to put my son on the back in a carrier and ride around the area. The ride doesn't last long before he wants out. When the time comes that he can go for long rides on his own bike, then I will get a more expensive bike that will last longer, but for the time being, I don't even ride 5 KM's in a week, so cheap is perfect for me. Not everyone needs a $1000 bike.
nothing wrong with a throwaway bike, but I think the issue comes when they assemble those bikes. Quite often, they just don't do a good job (I've seen it firsthand several times), that's why I have a hard time recommending a Walmart or other cheap bike. My recommendation is always to get a bike inspected if you're going to go for a cheap Canadian Tire special. It could cost $50 but it's good insurance.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35996 posts
2098 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 8:06 pm
nothing wrong with a throwaway bike, but I think the issue comes when they assemble those bikes. Quite often, they just don't do a good job (I've seen it firsthand several times), that's why I have a hard time recommending a Walmart or other cheap bike. My recommendation is always to get a bike inspected if you're going to go for a cheap Canadian Tire special. It could cost $50 but it's good insurance.
Or if you're in Toronto... You could go to the many bike co-op's. I know only a little about mechanics, not a pro... But I love teaching noobs how to change tires and tune up their gears (I got a lot of practice b/c of my old bikes), and show them which parts to lube regularly to keep the bike in good shape. I just want to return the favor b/c there are lots of nice people there who have taught me.

Bike Sauce is my fav b/c I'm on the east end.
But Bike Pirates is cool too. Its on the west end.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2849 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 8:06 pm
My recommendation is always to get a bike inspected if you're going to go for a cheap Canadian Tire special. It could cost $50 but it's good insurance.
Paying $50 for someone to inspect a brand new $100 bike is a non-starter for me.

Bicycles are very simple machines. They are bicycles, not Lamborghinis. Any ass could go over a newly purchased Cantire/Walmat bike and correct all issues in an hour.

Even the most ham-handed non-mechanically-inclined newbie could do it. There are hundreds if not thousands of Youtube videos describing every possible scenario.

I am confident if I bought a $98 Walmart bike tomorrow, it would last for the rest of my life. And it wouldn't kill me, for those wags who are about to say my life would be shortened appreciably. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10231 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
makaturing wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 12:47 am
Paying $50 for someone to inspect a brand new $100 bike is a non-starter for me.

Bicycles are very simple machines. They are bicycles, not Lamborghinis. Any ass could go over a newly purchased Cantire/Walmat bike and correct all issues in an hour.

Even the most ham-handed non-mechanically-inclined newbie could do it. There are hundreds if not thousands of Youtube videos describing every possible scenario.

I am confident if I bought a $98 Walmart bike tomorrow, it would last for the rest of my life. And it wouldn't kill me, for those wags who are about to say my life would be shortened appreciably. :)
That's great that you can figure out how to set up a bike but I don't agree that everybody else can. Some people have no time and just expect the thing to work. Some people just have zero mechanical common sense.

Once, somebody at work bought a new Canadian Tire bike, and complained to me it didn't shift correctly. I went over to their house and I noticed several things wrong with it. The cables were too long, the derailleur set screw was stripped because the same "friend" used the wrong size screwdriver and tried to adjust it, the brake pads were rubbing and not centered, it squealed because there was no toe-in. The wheel was not perfectly true either. (he had watched a youtube video and tried to adjust the shifting but he didn't do it right)

I fixed the tension and limits of the shifting, but there was something odd about it, and it still didn't shift great (probably just bad quality control). The brake arms flexed a lot but I was able to reduce the noise by adjusting the pads correctly, but it still squealed if it got wet. I told them if the wheel got any worse, have a bike shop true it. In this case, he would have benefited from a bike shop looking over his bike and making those adjustments
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2849 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:05 am
Some people just have zero mechanical common sense..... In this case, he would have benefited from a bike shop looking over his bike and making those adjustments
Fair comment. I guess you're right, some people can view a perfect step-by-step on Youtube and still screw up the procedure. This defies all logic, but I know it to be true.

But honestly, how bad can the kids assembling bikes at Cantire and Walmart screw it up? It ain't rocket science. And I would like to think after assembling a few they acquire some skill.

Wouldn't any prudent person buying one of those cheapie bikes go over the nuts and bolts when they got it home?

I'll say this, I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone goes into a LBS and presents them with a brand new bike that came from Walmart. Ha ha!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10231 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought a $2500 Trek at an LBS and even that bike could have used a little more care during setup. I had to go and adjust a few things after I got it home.

So the likelihood of a Walmart employee who probably just spends most of his time stocking the shelves is going to do a good job can't be high. I'm not talking about gross errors like fork backwards and forgetting to tighten basic bolts, but basic things like making sure the chain has proper tension, and won't fall off and jam the drivetrain. You would think they know how to do it, but at the same time, when they get their spring stock in and they have to assemble dozens of bikes, I wouldn't put it past them to be a bit sloppy. I knew a guy who did work at a Canadian Tire sporting department and he was actually really good, but when he left I'm not sure anybody else in that department was going to be as careful as him.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2849 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Swerny wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 11:55 am
There are plenty of photos online of bikes being "assembled" with the forks backwards.
I am pretty sure the bikes sold at Walmart/Cantire arrive at the store with the forks already attached to the frame.

So who's mounting forks backwards? Must be the local bike shops. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9102 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
May 30th, 2017 9:13 am
Sometimes a throw away bike is all that's needed. I recently bought one from Canadian Tire. The only time I ever use it is to put my son on the back in a carrier and ride around the area. The ride doesn't last long before he wants out. When the time comes that he can go for long rides on his own bike, then I will get a more expensive bike that will last longer, but for the time being, I don't even ride 5 KM's in a week, so cheap is perfect for me. Not everyone needs a $1000 bike.
Nettles wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 7:34 pm
I'd check Pawn shops as well OP, better than Kijiji (unless it's a shop with a bunch of reviews saying it's a scam but they're usually decent). Also see if you can find a used bike sort of store that specializes in selling bikes to students.

Oh and the Canadian Tire bike I got back in 2000 still works lol, bit squeaky but still going, I guess they're weaker now.
When I was in Grade 3 around 1987, I got a SuperCycle bike from Cdn tire. It was huge for me, but I eventually grew into it. It was about $100 back then too. This thing was heavy but heavy duty. I rode everywhere, some off-roading (those who grew up in South Scarborough during this time might remember the Monkey Trails). I had it till highschool until it got stolen (didn't lock it up.. my fault). I rode it down stairs, in the winter, super hard acceleration, racing with friends, race the bus, etc.

Fast forward, and I hadn't biked in years. I was renting downtown short-term and decided to get a 'throwaway' bike. So naturally got the same Supercycle bike. Wow, talk about a difference. The gears kept 'popping', it felt like it was going to break, super flimsy, no 'speed' no matter how hard pedaled. I guess it's expected when you keep the price the same and ship it off over seas.
Jun 23, 2017
69 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
johnnycash10 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 11:52 am
What used bike (brand name) can you get in $300-$500 and where do you go to buy it?

Thanks
Trek and GIANT are perennial faves.

For $300 I bought my son a Trek front suspension mountain bike off kijiji. It was in excellent shape and the seller gave us a bunch of accessories with it..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9053 posts
1640 upvotes
Toronto
makaturing wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 1:11 pm
I am pretty sure the bikes sold at Walmart/Cantire arrive at the store with the forks already attached to the frame.

So who's mounting forks backwards? Must be the local bike shops. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
actually they aren't.

The hacks at the stores install them backwards
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2849 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Swerny wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 2:02 pm
actually they aren't. The hacks at the stores install them backwards
Hmm. I bought a cheap bike online from Sportchek. It was shipped to me in a box. I expect these boxes are standard practice in the bike industry, and I believe Walmart and Cantire receive their bikes in these same boxes. And inside the box was a bike with the forks attached to the frame. That is my experience.