• Sep 10th, 2012 11:35 am
Tags:
None
Jun 12, 2009
217 posts
82 upvotes
Hamilton

Where to start - Investment Properties?

I'm trying to educate myself on investing in properties, but most of what I read online is American (foreclosed houses, different tax laws, ect).

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of material to educate myself on investment properties in the country.
6 replies
Sep 6, 2012
8 posts
VANCOUVER
Arbucks wrote: I'm trying to educate myself on investing in properties, but most of what I read online is American (foreclosed houses, different tax laws, ect).

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of material to educate myself on investment properties in the country.
are you planning to DIY?

you can simply invest in a Real Estate Investment Trust
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
One way to do it is buying a condo and renting it out. Maintenance fees (which you pay for) will take care of any building problems, etc. Something you'd have to do on your own if it was a house. Fixing and cleanup after a tenant is easier in a condo. Up to you.

Remember, LOCATION is the most important in buying any rental property. Also, the higher the condo above ground = more valuable. Look for locations thats right at a subway, or near a good school, or downtown if you want to rent to young professionals.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
rfdrfd wrote: One way to do it is buying a condo and renting it out. Maintenance fees (which you pay for) will take care of any building problems, etc. Something you'd have to do on your own if it was a house. Fixing and cleanup after a tenant is easier in a condo. Up to you.

Remember, LOCATION is the most important in buying any rental property. Also, the higher the condo above ground = more valuable. Look for locations thats right at a subway, or near a good school, or downtown if you want to rent to young professionals.
Maintenance fees cover the general building (ie everything OUTSIDE your unit). Ultimately, the owner (ie you) has to pay for a bad tenant trashing your unit and/or being late on rent.
💡😃😂😄
Oct 13, 2011
853 posts
714 upvotes
This may be a different perspective, but I think it is a more comprehensive way of understanding exactly what you're into when you hear from what existing landlords/investors have to say.

http://ontariolandlords.org/