Home & Garden

Where to store propane tanks for the winter?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2010 3:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
49 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Where to store propane tanks for the winter?

I've read that its definitely not recommended to store propane tanks in the basement during the winter. I've also read that they should not be stored in garages or sheds. I don't want to leave it outside in the snow and ice as it could start to rust. Any other suggestions?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
When we had a bbq with an exposed tank, I was advised to leave ours with the bbq, covered outside over the winter, and did so for many years without any problems. Just disconnect the fuel line.

We currently have two tanks (for mosquito traps) that we store (empty) in a locked and unheated shed away from our house.
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes
Oh my - no BBQ all winter??? I'd never survive!!! Our just stays attached all winter. No cover, etc. as we were told that moisture gets trapped under the cover and causes it to rust more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6253 posts
244 upvotes
so if I have a BBQ where my propane tank is inside protected from the weather, do I leave it there and disconnect it? or leave it there connected and do nothing?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15146 posts
1581 upvotes
To cover or not to cover?

We've always covered our BBQ - no issues, but I see some people say it can cause more rust?

Maybe it makes no difference? heh.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
Never store indoors or in shed. Leave it outside. No dif from winter to summer. it gets wet, big deal! These tanks are bombs! storing indoors and if it leaks,, is trouble waiting to happen!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2359 posts
173 upvotes
susan123 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2009 9:03 am
Oh my - no BBQ all winter??? I'd never survive!!! Our just stays attached all winter. No cover, etc. as we were told that moisture gets trapped under the cover and causes it to rust more.
+100
I bbq all year around - I usually shovel the snow so I can get to my bbq.
Smaller tanks (singles for camping etc.) I store in my garage.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1591 posts
66 upvotes
I am sure it varies by region, but I do believe that storing a propane tank (attached to a BBQ or not) inside is a fire code violation in my area. I would assume this applies to garages as well.

I know of someone who was cited on a commercial fire inspection for having a propane tank inside of a bay (it was used for occasional employee BBQ's). They now have to store it outside.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2008
49 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
does anyone bring their bbq indoors for the winter to prevent rust and just general wear and tear? obviously would have to leave the tank outdoors...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7562 posts
149 upvotes
tanks expire after 10 years...so the by the time it rust to your "displeasure" you'll probably have to buy a new ones anyways..

ours is uncovered outside....we occasionally bbq in the winter.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3014 posts
1020 upvotes
I've always kept the tank outside, connected to the BBQ and I BBQ in the winter and have never had any issues.

You could keep it inside to prevent it from rusting, but then there is moisture out there when it's not winter...it rains afterall.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I have always left my tank attached and I also cover up the BBQ. Want to prevent rust on your burner---cover it with vegetable oil.
Aug 23, 2004
22 posts
i leave outside with a cover that is mesh holes for ventilation so it doesn't rust....cover can be found at costco!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
216 upvotes
Both tanks outside year round, one attached, one besides BBQ, which is covered.

re: covering causing rust...our BBQ is a cheapie, given as gift 8 years ago, and always kept covered, still has zero rust on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4610 posts
889 upvotes
Mississauga
New home owner .. and new to bbq .. currently i am keeping the tank in upright position in the backyard.. Now sun stays upto 1PM in the backyard. is that ok ? how much temp these tanks can hold before explode ? do i have to cover them ?
Currently GTA temps are around 25-30C ...
× < >