Off Topic Archive

Locked: Where to watch planes take off and land?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2010 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 30, 2005
273 posts
20 upvotes
Brampton

Where to watch planes take off and land?

hey as the title says, where can you go to park and watch planes take off and land by Pearson airport?
Share:
54 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1534 posts
30 upvotes
airport road.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2005
2445 posts
1 upvote
All three terminals got a decent view of the runway, as long as you don't mind the expensive parking.
现实的社会,毁了我一个做好人的机会。
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1472 posts
39 upvotes
Scarborough
a1cd wrote:
Aug 28th, 2008 11:25 pm
Well, not at pearson.. But I would recommend..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo
St.Maarten
I like how the pilot clears the fence with about 2 metres to spare. Landing on that runway sure takes some balls. Standing that close on the beach must take even more balls. :eek:
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20370 posts
1594 upvotes
Watch out for the police/airport security. I have heard reports where they have asked photographers to leave, simply watching them maybe allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9468 posts
396 upvotes
Mississauga
Phungula wrote:
Aug 28th, 2008 11:16 pm
hey as the title says, where can you go to park and watch planes take off and land by Pearson airport?
There's a Wendy's on Airport Rd. that's pretty popular for airplane watching. There's a big grassy area next to it. I had lunch there once and the hardcore fans had notepads documenting what kinds of planes were landing.
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 28th, 2008 11:56 pm
There's a Wendy's on Airport Rd. that's pretty popular for airplane watching. There's a big grassy area next to it. I had lunch there once and the hardcore fans had notepads documenting what kinds of planes were landing.
Oh really?
Nice i want to go watch some planes too...
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 28th, 2008 11:56 pm
I read somewhere on these boards that area has since been closed off though. My friend took his gf there years ago in the evenings and he's told me the same that its been closed off?

Anyone confirm?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3390 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
CSAgent wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 12:47 am
I read somewhere on these boards that area has since been closed off though. My friend took his gf there years ago in the evenings and he's told me the same that its been closed off?

Anyone confirm?
I don't recall any large grass area there , but you get a good enough view from the Wendy's parking lot itself.
The best place to see touchdowns was the roadway where the FedEx building is. There is a small mound where one can get a great view, but unfortunately that's been closed off for a while now.

If the planes are coming from the West, look for the Wendy's on Airport Rd; if the planes are coming from the East, look for the Wendy's on Dixie Rd. You'll usually see a few cars parked on the soft shoulder of Dixie Rd near the runway thresholds.
May 16, 2007
731 posts
8 upvotes
May I personally ask what enjoyment you get from watching planes take off and land?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4468 posts
69 upvotes
London
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 12:54 am
The best place to see touchdowns was the roadway where the FedEx building is a few cars parked on the soft shoulder of Dixie Rd near the runway thresholds.
I went earlier last year to watch planes land near there. There's an industrial zone full of non-descript brown-brick buildings near one of the runways. I was going there at night and just drove to the back of one of the buildings. It had a perfect view of the runway and all night long we sat on the roof of my car, watching Fed-Ex planes land. We're not enthusiasts in any way; we just went for the novelty of it. :lol:

I'd be more compelled to look up where I was exactly, but it's too late at night and I need to hit the sack.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4668 posts
83 upvotes
Oakville
The people tracking plane fin numbers are plane spotters. Others like me like the roar of huge aircraft flying overhead.

I use to double park on Dixie but there are signs posted for no stopping.

In Vancouver, there was a great spot for plane spotters off of Grant Mcconachie Way.

Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1863 posts
2 upvotes
How about being on the plane?
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Error916 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 1:05 am
May I personally ask what enjoyment you get from watching planes take off and land?
Airplanes are a technological marvel, irregardless of the fact that it's been more than 100 years since the first. It is still very impressive if you can wrap your mind around it. Like the internet!
× < >