Off Topic Archive

Locked: Where to watch planes take off and land?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2010 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12426 posts
1104 upvotes
Mississauga
The pic above has a naked person on the right..
hahahaha
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
IBOPM wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 1:34 am
Airplanes are a technological marvel, irregardless of the fact that it's been more than 100 years since the first. It is still very impressive if you can wrap your mind around it. Like the internet!
irregardless isn't a word

but i agree with you on the point. i went on a plane last weekend for the first time in 6 years, i had forgotten how awesome planes are.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2087 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
bokep wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 2:03 am
irregardless isn't a word

but i agree with you on the point. i went on a plane last weekend for the first time in 6 years, i had forgotten how awesome planes are.
I actually stopped and thought whether or not I should use that word, honestly I did. I wondered if it would trigger the spelling nazis, and it did :D .
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2766 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Error916 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 1:05 am
May I personally ask what enjoyment you get from watching planes take off and land?
IBOPM wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 1:34 am
Airplanes are a technological marvel, irregardless of the fact that it's been more than 100 years since the first. It is still very impressive if you can wrap your mind around it. Like the internet!
Well said! I love airplanes. I think they are amazing. I love the technology, they way they look, their sound, and the fact that something weighing 44 tonnes can actually fly. They are very impressive.

One of my favorites from airliners.net
[IMG]http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 091105.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1098 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Back in High School..just before 9/11 actually..I did a 1 week co-op with Air Canada following around the techs at night in the hangars. Needless to say, they don't do this program anymore. Got to see a 747 the first night and I was so amazed at its sheer size. It could barely fit the hangar, only about 5-10 ft clearance on both sides. Doesn't look so big when you're looking from inside the terminal (actually it still does...compared to other planes) but when you're on the ground looking up at this huge beast, you really do wonder how its able to stay in the air.

Anyways, to stay on topic, in prep for this co-op, Air Canada gave us a tour of Pearson while laying out safety procedures and such. We sat in a bus (with windows open of course) at the end of one of the runways (still on the service roads though) and just watched planes land for a good 30 minutes. Damn it was loud, but I loved every minute of it.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10601 posts
967 upvotes
Mississauga
Error916 wrote:
May I personally ask what enjoyment you get from watching planes take off and land?
You get a closeup view to witness one of the greatest inventions in human history. Flight has been one of humanity's dreams since ancient times and since it was invented a mere century ago, it has completely transformed our society. So to see the the modern day incarnation of this dream and feel its power closeup can be awe-inspiring, although not to you I guess.

Sitting in the plane in cattle class isn't nearly as much fun. Takeoff and landing are always the best parts. The in-between is pretty ho-hum.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
173 upvotes
North York
Plane spotting is a huge thing for many people. Some of us (myself included) have radios we use to listen to air traffic control so that we know which planes are arriving next and which runways are being used. Pearson has 9 different runways that could be used. Depending on which one is in use, there are different areas to go. The Wendy's on Airport Road is good for runway 23 arrivals and runway 05 departures (05/23 is 1 strip, both ends are numbered). Dixie Road is good for runway 05 arrivals and 23 departures. If you go further down Dixie or Airport road you can see arrivals on runway 24L and 24R.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2006
3821 posts
61 upvotes
infinite.chaoz wrote:
Aug 28th, 2008 11:25 pm
All three terminals got a decent view of the runway, as long as you don't mind the expensive parking.
+1

Just remember to leave your copy of the Quran at home :lol:
You're not funny.
Nov 5, 2006
20 posts
i work right beside the airport on britannia in mississauga (remember that air france incident a few years ago? it landed next to our fence). the best place, imo, is on silver dart drive ... easiest way to get there is to get off the 401 at dixie road, go north, hook a right onto britannia road, travel down britannia (it eventually turns into convair drive). when you get to the first stop sign, you go right (if you go straight you go into the airport). convair drive travels parallel with the 401, along the north side (many people probably see cars on a service road just north of the 401 near the airport, thats convair drive). keep travelling past renforth drive and the road turns north. you will eventually pass renforth drive again. immediately after that, you can pull over on the other side of the road (west side of the road). there are no parking signs, however, on the east side of the road. me and a few buddies have gone there several times with our slr's and havent occured any problems with gtaa personnel. the planes are super low there and you can even feel the draft once the plane passes you (its pretty strong, it shut our car doors several times).
i know this may be confusing to some people, but i dont know how to upload images. you can go to google maps and search "international blvd mississauga", and scroll just a bit to the left and you will see what i mean.
enjoy.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
If you don't already know this, then Google map this. I don't think it gets much better unless you are airport personnel

43.675384,-79.634035
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1580 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Error916 wrote:
Sounds boring but I was at Ontario Place the other day and it was pretty exciting watching Porter Airlines land pretty close.
Nov 5, 2006
20 posts
dgmorr wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 2:06 pm
If you don't already know this, then Google map this. I don't think it gets much better unless you are airport personnel

43.675384,-79.634035
i pass by there everyday (see above post) and i didnt think the public could drive down that street because there are warning signs saying saying authorized authority only .. and theres even a little booth with access barriers ... am i allowed to drive in there? If so, Im definatlely going to stop by there on my way home from work
btw, seeing as how the airshow is happening this week at the CNE, there's several fighter jets flying around today over my work ... its pretty sweet ...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
dalinkwent wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 3:01 pm
i pass by there everyday (see above post) and i didnt think the public could drive down that street because there are warning signs saying saying authorized authority only .. and theres even a little booth with access barriers ... am i allowed to drive in there? If so, Im definatlely going to stop by there on my way home from work
btw, seeing as how the airshow is happening this week at the CNE, there's several fighter jets flying around today over my work ... its pretty sweet ...
The gatehouse is never occupied, the gates are always up, and I have never been kicked out or questioned....ever. Just act like you should be there ;)