Off Topic

Locked: Where in the world is Eugene Kim?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 8:35 pm
Dec 25, 2007
672 posts
70 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:29 pm
this happens much more than you think. Often it's a 'surprise' Divorce or separation where the husband/father will plan it for months, or even years. All the time, on the outside, acting as normal as possible. Usually though the person lives a different life after that everybody knows about. So yes, this is baffling where they literally disappear including the car. But it's been said, the cultural (Korean family centric) expectations, strong Church Conformity expectations, other factors such as gambling, and believe me, if you have 2 young kids doing the whole daycare routine (both pick-up and drop-off is almost unheard of) while working a straining job, it's easier to see why someone would have planned and acted on this 'baffling' plan.

Really, don't think it's automatic that parents like their children (they may love them, but not like them). I could see the children not appreciating Eugene as much which could be the final straw. The oldest son may be at a age where he's like "Dad, not hugging please". 2.5 yr old daughter is also in a terrible 2 stage. Doing both drop off and pick-up, I can't imagine doing that. I know I would crack. But fortunately, I have a strong network, including a downward focus approach by my parents in helping me, which alleviates the stress of me being a parent and working professional (his parents are more focused on business and church activity which leads to even less general support of the daily stress to their own child). I have alot of male friends, same age group that are feeling the stressors and dreams of escape due to the daily grinding stress of 2 young kids, what can feel like a under appreciating wife, job strain and everything else.

So it may seem baffling to those on the outside (Church community has strong pressure to never show negativity), but those who know or are aware of this type of life stage and design and what it can do to one's insides, it is not that big of a surprise. In fact, I told my wife several times before this happened "You're going to see this alot more where the husband cracks and disappears in a way".
I got to agree here. What someone displays publically and how they actually FEEL are two totally diffrent things a lot of times,
especially in todays society. We cant make assumptions that he was OK and everything was rainbows and butterflies.

The whole daycare thing in this city is a mess too (speaking from experience). Government has utterly failed us in this regard
and seems to want to reward not going to work with 1 person staying at home. But thats a topic for another day.

I'm just baffled how they can't locate the car in this day and age. Only thing I can think of is it's in some ravine/ditch unfortunately :(
Mar 5, 2006
533 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
rage2021 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:44 am
I got to agree here. What someone displays publically and how they actually FEEL are two totally diffrent things a lot of times,
especially in todays society. We cant make assumptions that he was OK and everything was rainbows and butterflies.

The whole daycare thing in this city is a mess too (speaking from experience). Government has utterly failed us in this regard
and seems to want to reward not going to work with 1 person staying at home. But thats a topic for another day.

I'm just baffled how they can't locate the car in this day and age. Only thing I can think of is it's in some ravine/ditch unfortunately :(
From the point when we have an entire airplane that can go missing, I've come to realized how limited our technology really is. But yes, I still find it hard to believe.
Oct 16, 2017
9 posts
jasonchewy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:07 am
From the point when we have an entire airplane that can go missing, I've come to realized how limited our technology really is. But yes, I still find it hard to believe.
I often think of the Tim Bosma case where they stole his truck and hid it in a large hauling-type truck. It could be in someone's garage.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7772 posts
1941 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote:
Parts of the ocean are as deep as planes fly. Bits of planes are almost impossible to find. I don't think it's really a limitation of technology considering how far we have come in the last 50 years. I think it's more of how big the planet really is and how much little we really know. But that's just my opinion.

Obviously this guy doesn't want to be found or someone doesn't want him to be found. Either way, he isn't coming home otherwise, he would have already. Don't know why people cannot accept that as hard as it might be.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7358 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote:
It *is* hard to believe and I'm very cynical. Just now they're discussing how ppl were being meticulously traced via cellphones in the Laura Babcock case and they can't find a whole freaking plane? Never mind they have simple experiments of throwing a bottle into the ocean and following wave patterns to know where it'll end up. If ppl buy that, they might as well believe politicians work for commoners and that democracy exists.

No idea about this Eugene case though.
Mar 5, 2006
533 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:59 pm
Parts of the ocean are as deep as planes fly. Bits of planes are almost impossible to find. I don't think it's really a limitation of technology considering how far we have come in the last 50 years. I think it's more of how big the planet really is and how much little we really know. But that's just my opinion.

Obviously this guy doesn't want to be found or someone doesn't want him to be found. Either way, he isn't coming home otherwise, he would have already. Don't know why people cannot accept that as hard as it might be.
The how deep the ocean goes part I get it. It's more of you have a plane carrying hundreds of people, it has radars, gps, and whatever else used to track it (I'm thinking of those in-flight map showing where you are), yet none of those information are sent off real time to somewhere to track it??
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7772 posts
1941 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:07 pm
The how deep the ocean goes part I get it. It's more of you have a plane carrying hundreds of people, it has radars, gps, and whatever else used to track it (I'm thinking of those in-flight map showing where you are), yet none of those information are sent off real time to somewhere to track it??
Ok, well something tracking something else requires power. GPS, radar and the like all require power. If a plane blows up in the air, or breaks up, most of that power is gone if not all of it. The 'black' boxes use dc and ac juice from the plane. No plane, no power. The box is stored typically in the tail and has a battery. Air France Flight 447 is a fine example. So this is what you are relying on to find your plane/bodies after surely a violent crash.
If a plane crashes into the water, the beacon sends out an ultrasonic pulse that cannot be heard by human ears but is readily detectable by sonar and acoustical locating equipment. There is a submergence sensor on the side of the beacon that looks like a bull's-eye. When water touches this sensor, the beacon is activated.

The beacon sends out pulses at 37.5 kilohertz (kHz) and can transmit sound as deep as 14,000 feet (4,267 meters). Once the beacon begins pinging, it pings once per second for 30 days. This beacon is powered by a battery that has a shelf life of six years. In rare instances, the beacon may get snapped off during a high-impact collision.
Many parts of the ocean are more than 14000ft deep. Right away, you're in a losing situation. Same with cell phones as mentioned above. It's off, no tracky.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3897 posts
1101 upvotes
sandeeS wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:07 pm
I dont think so. I am afraid of some bad news. Hope outcome is good.
Given that neither the police or the family has said anything to the public pretty much seals it.

The public at large is rarely, if ever, told of a suicide of a non-famous person.
May 25, 2009
38 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
renoldman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:00 pm
Given that neither the police or the family has said anything to the public pretty much seals it.

The public at large is rarely, if ever, told of a suicide of a non-famous person.
Perhaps but if LE knew conclusively, they would be obligated to tell the public that the case was closed.

I had said to another member that seeing the personality/interaction dynamics of the family and the fact that they know he left by choice, would make it IMPOSSIBLE for him to come back voluntarily, or be found alive. He could be alive but would not be found easily. After leaving, he does not have the strength to face his family and their (unspoken) disappointment.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3897 posts
1101 upvotes
Sonababy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 4:15 am
Perhaps but if LE knew conclusively, they would be obligated to tell the public that the case was closed.

I had said to another member that seeing the personality/interaction dynamics of the family and the fact that they know he left by choice, would make it IMPOSSIBLE for him to come back voluntarily, or be found alive. He could be alive but would not be found easily. After leaving, he does not have the strength to face his family and their (unspoken) disappointment.
It's the family's choice to make the information public or private.

Ask yourself this: why would the family keep quiet beyond the first week?

I think people should respect the family's choice.

If they don't want to talk about it, that is their choice.

If people really wanted to help, they should contact YRP who would tell them whether the case is closed or not.
May 25, 2009
38 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
renoldman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:26 pm
It's the family's choice to make the information public or private.

Ask yourself this: why would the family keep quiet beyond the first week?

Not sure where in my comment, you saw anything that i said about the family sharing or not sharing

I think people should respect the family's choice.

If they don't want to talk about it, that is their choice.

If people really wanted to help, they should contact YRP who would tell them whether the case is closed or not.
You quoted my comment but I said absolutely NOTHING about the family sharing or not sharing, or what they should or shouldn't do.

I responded to another post and stated that if LE knew something for sure, they may not state what it is, but would tell the public their case was closed.

I for one, will not suggest that lots of people call LE for a status update, out of curiosity. They have limited resources and precious tax dollars, that need to be put to better use than giving status updates individually to 1000s of callers.
Last edited by Sonababy on Nov 4th, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2501 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
They could send out a Tweet...
Nov 3, 2017
1 posts
I think he was a spy from North Korea, and he sneaked into USA for his mission. and even his family does not know about this.
Oct 12, 2017
2 posts
If I were them I would have consulted a medium. I can speak from experience that the one thing mediums know for sure is whether or not a person is on the 'earthly side' or 'spirit side' of life as we know it. This would be a good step in determining whether or not he is still alive. If he isn't alive, the session would pretty much tell the family what happened. Wacky, yes, but is anything else working?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4833 posts
712 upvotes
Sonababy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:10 pm
You quoted my comment but I said absolutely NOTHING about the family sharing or not sharing, or what they should or shouldn't do.
Actually, you have:
Sonababy wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 10:20 pm
I wish the family would understand that many caring people, whose help they sought vigorously and who have offered immense kind hearted assistance in numerous ways, are worried. It would be considerate of the family to share what they know, and put everyone's mind at ease.
Last edited by peanutz on Nov 5th, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.