Off Topic

Locked: Where in the world is Eugene Kim?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 8:35 pm
Oct 15, 2017
16 posts
Keep in mind also, there are LOTS of things that cannot be revealed due to it being a police investigation. That will obviously create the illusion that there are a lot of "HOLES" and a lot of missing info that doesn't make any sense to the things we already know. That's the nature of police investigations unfortunately. We are only privy to know certain things. I'm sure this is still being investigated, and once they know something, we will be told that the investigation is over. Or, once we are privy to any more info that LE is willing to give us, we will know.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36659 posts
2532 upvotes
Toronto
InternetHusband wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:31 pm
she's clearly acting. Watch the videos again it's very clear she's in on it.
My nephew always seemed "ok". He never did anything out of the ordinary. Had tons of friends, popular guy, definately not a bullied nerd/outcast.
He drove his car into a tree @ 150km/hr.
Toxicology... no drugs, no alcohol in his system.
No medical emergency. No history of medical problems.
He always seemed "okay".
He was NOT okay.
Oct 16, 2017
7 posts
They did it for the money watch it will eventually come out.
Oct 15, 2017
16 posts
InternetHusband wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:56 pm
They did it for the money watch it will eventually come out.
I know you're entitled to your opinion, but to crowd fund for all that money (to supposedly 'pay off' these bookies), and then be charged for public mischief. How is that worth it? Seriously, just think about that for a minute.

These are hard working people. I think the issue with you is, you can't possibly wrap your head around the fact that this person took off and is possibly dead somewhere by his own hand, and ONLY because this person disappeared without a trace.

Tons of people have disappeared without a trace. TONS. It's because they made it so. It IS very possible.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
CP1976 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:50 am
I know you're entitled to your opinion, but to crowd fund for all that money (to supposedly 'pay off' these bookies), and then be charged for public mischief. How is that worth it? Seriously, just think about that for a minute.

These are hard working people. I think the issue with you is, you can't possibly wrap your head around the fact that this person took off and is possibly dead somewhere by his own hand, and ONLY because this person disappeared without a trace.

Tons of people have disappeared without a trace. TONS. It's because they made it so. It IS very possible.
He's a troll. I wouldn't waste too much time or thought responding to him.
Oct 16, 2017
7 posts
at1212b wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:34 am
He's a troll. I wouldn't waste too much time or thought responding to him.
I'm no troll. I am entitled to my opinion. And let's be REAL here - where did the 45k go? Did they use it to hire a private investigator? Woudlnt' that be the FIRST step if you REALLY wanted to find your loved one? Come on ppl open your EYES!!! the family isn't trying to find him, they clearly used the money for something else! After the initial red flags raised in the media they've gone totally silent. What are their efforts to find him now? Does anyone know? wouldn't you still be searching after making such a HUGE fanfare initially if you REALLY thought he was out there? They know he's hiding and doesn't want to come back, even if it was suicide, wouldn't they want to find out? It's FISHY. Use your reasoning skills- you guys like deals, you are on RFD to save money - how can you reconcile the fact that the 45k has just gone "missing" the same as Eugene Kim himself? Police won't waste their time charging them, they defrauded the public and will get off scott free. You dont' believe me? Google SHERRI PAPINI. No charges have been laid for her crowdfunding scheme and she faked the whole thing!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7964 posts
2804 upvotes
Toronto
$45,000 vs ruining your reputation.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
InternetHusband wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:31 pm
I'm no troll. I am entitled to my opinion. And let's be REAL here - where did the 45k go? Did they use it to hire a private investigator? Woudlnt' that be the FIRST step if you REALLY wanted to find your loved one? Come on ppl open your EYES!!! the family isn't trying to find him, they clearly used the money for something else! After the initial red flags raised in the media they've gone totally silent. What are their efforts to find him now? Does anyone know? wouldn't you still be searching after making such a HUGE fanfare initially if you REALLY thought he was out there? They know he's hiding and doesn't want to come back, even if it was suicide, wouldn't they want to find out? It's FISHY. Use your reasoning skills- you guys like deals, you are on RFD to save money - how can you reconcile the fact that the 45k has just gone "missing" the same as Eugene Kim himself? Police won't waste their time charging them, they defrauded the public and will get off scott free. You dont' believe me? Google SHERRI PAPINI. No charges have been laid for her crowdfunding scheme and she faked the whole thing!
New user.. only one sided opinion = troll.

I'll bite this time. Many of the people that donated were church people. They LOVE donating to causes like this within the community. i.e. Who donated more. So it's not a 'loss' for them. Friends that donated, ok, well I guess it's up to them to decide if they believe it's faked. Those that donate via GoFundMe have to also sharpen up what's a scam or not.

It was specifically said that the money was going to be used to support her as she's having a difficult time by herself. Anybody can read between the lines that this means a) loss of income b) potentially leave of absence and more reduced income. You think you can just go to work and take care of two kids after a spouse disappears? There was some money used in the search effort. So many more time off from others and compensate them, hired help, PI, who knows. One can burn through that easily with all that.

Nobody has reported the $$ missing nor is there a audit function or accountability section for GoFundMe. I have no doubt they know more than they're letting on. Sure it's probably messed up as this is not normal. At the end of they day, she's living through it and dealing with the consequences of single motherhood. So sure, go ahead and beat your macho chest and your macho opinions.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19165 posts
121619 upvotes
GTA
InternetHusband wrote:
Oh please - you cannot point to one case and say this is just like that one. Of course, there have been tons of scams with respect to crowdfunding and so forth, but by all accounts, this seems to be a legitimate missing persons case. As for where the money went, it was clearly mentioned in the campaign that it would not just be used for the expenses related to the search, but also go towards helping his family. So what do you expect? When something happens to someone, life still has to go on, there are still bills that need to be paid, etc. Would you be offended if the money was used for something like that? Also, who ever said it was 'missing'? Is that an assumption on your part, because no one has provided detailed receipts for you?

As for why there has been no update on the search, the family is not obligated to provide updates, etc. I can imagine the mental anguish that a spouse would be going through if their loved one went missing. Initially, of course, you will be frantic, grasping for any leads, asking if anyone had heard/seen anything. But as the days go on with no word, you can imagine family members being very depressed about the situation, and they may not want to appear before the media.

For a well-employed, church-going family to be pulling off something like this for $45K, doesn't make sense whatsoever. *Maybe* for a few million stashed in offshore accounts, but even then, it's a hard sell for me, given what we have seen/what we know of the family.
Oct 15, 2017
16 posts
InternetHusband wrote:
Youre internalizing your feelings towards the Sherri Papini incident and now you have trust issues to that regard. This may very well be something serious, but you can't wrap your head around it. You don't need to come on here and tell us to use our reasoning skills when you can't grasp the idea that this **IS A POLICE INVESTIGATION*** AND WE ARE NOT PRIVY TO EVERY DETAIL. We just aren't. Plain and simple. No police force will fill you in on details that are 'ongoing'. It's all under investigation and when it's completed we will know IF we are lucky. But we will receive some form of conclusion.
May 25, 2009
38 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
at1212b wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
New user.. only one sided opinion = troll.

I'll bite this time. Many of the people that donated were church people. They LOVE donating to causes like this within the community. i.e. Who donated more. So it's not a 'loss' for them. Friends that donated, ok, well I guess it's up to them to decide if they believe it's faked. Those that donate via GoFundMe have to also sharpen up what's a scam or not.

It was specifically said that the money was going to be used to support her as she's having a difficult time by herself. Anybody can read between the lines that this means a) loss of income b) potentially leave of absence and more reduced income. You think you can just go to work and take care of two kids after a spouse disappears? There was some money used in the search effort. So many more time off from others and compensate them, hired help, PI, who knows. One can burn through that easily with all that.

Nobody has reported the $$ missing nor is there a audit function or accountability section for GoFundMe. I have no doubt they know more than they're letting on. Sure it's probably messed up as this is not normal. At the end of they day, she's living through it and dealing with the consequences of single motherhood. So sure, go ahead and beat your macho chest and your macho opinions.
Hello my friend, this is lady_columbo.
The gofundme money was clearly stated to be to search for Eugene. The target was 10k, but donations grew close to 45k before they were no longer accepted. One of the Korean papers stated that this money would be used to support the wife and children. The family corrected that in the same paper to state it would only be used to continue the search.

I had read that 200k was collected through the church group but do not know the reliability or accuracy of the source. It may have been a Korean newspaper. That money may have been to support the family.

Each person is entitled to their opinion, provided it is stated respectfully. Ganging up on one person is bullying.

If this is money related, and I do not know that it is, it would be a shame to have taken advantage of the goodness of kind hearted people. Those people would be less likely to help someone else.

I hope the children get their father back. Young children blame themselves for everything. The 6 year old must be in great anguish.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)