Where would you start, what do you think is a fair price

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 8:39 am
Oct 11, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote

Where would you start, what do you think is a fair price

Hi All,

Looking at purchasing a 2015 Highlander XLE with low KM's.

Online Black book puts range at $32420 to $35260

From what I've found online MSRP brand new was $40,995 with invoice being $36,483

For under 40K KM's dealers lists are between $37,991 and $40,995, which seems crazy that they would have already leased for 2 years and are still listing above original cost.

Assuming middle Black book range + $500 reconditioning (don't think a newer model vehicle with low KM's needs much + $1500 profit for dealer seemed fair soI offered $35K to one dealer and was refused.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
Easy. I'd be buying new.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
^ I agree.
What's another few grand to get into a new one; unless you plan to pay full in cash.
Oct 11, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
With increased Invoice / MSRP it would be more than a few grand. I figure I'd let someone else eat the front end depreciation on the first 2 years / 20-30K KM's
Jun 1, 2008
721 posts
245 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Problem is that everyone wants a Highlander new or used. Dealers aren't budging on used Highlanders since they're popular and they never stay long on the lot. Good luck with your search.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
nmccolvin wrote: With increased Invoice / MSRP it would be more than a few grand. I figure I'd let someone else eat the front end depreciation on the first 2 years / 20-30K KM's
Dont know about current promo but another option is to lease and take advantage of high residual and low? interest rate which equates to low monthly payments then buy it out afterwards

Edit: just checked 3.99% lease rate is not the greatest and no rebates/credits currently
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
What depreciation you speak of in the first 2 yrs when dealer is practically asking near MSRP of new, well give or take a few thousands $ for a car that has been used and you would possibly facing some consumable items that will need replacing within first 12-24 months of taking possession, therefore, those pricey items such as brakes, tires would be near $2000+ need to be factored back into your used car buying equation . Lastly, you would be facing < 1 yr of orig factory warranty on the used car.

nmccolvin wrote: With increased Invoice / MSRP it would be more than a few grand. I figure I'd let someone else eat the front end depreciation on the first 2 years / 20-30K KM's
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Agree, go to the dealership, bring your invoice price. Buy a brand new one and pick up own color and options you want.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
That's the problem, there are SOOOO many people out there with this mentality nowadays (Buy a 1-2 years used car with low km and let someone else eat the depreciation), they are driving up the used car prices.
They dont' even bother checking what they could've gotten a brand new car for...they are just shopping similar used car pricing believe slightly used = good deal.

Example: Guys buy a slightly used (20K?) BMW for $38K with a MSRP of $45K + Freight PDI/Fees = $48K

They thought they saved $10K, but in reality, people aren't paying sticker price. With manufacturer rebate + dealer discount, a $45K MSRP = $40K + fees = $43K.
So they end up driving a used car for only $5K less....the worn brake, tires, and others parts prorated probably cost $2K+.
So in the end, the real saving is often very small.

But so many people have the "buy used" to save money mentality...they ignore the actual numbers.
Mar 4, 2013
671 posts
533 upvotes
deelogic wrote: Problem is that everyone wants a Highlander new or used. Dealers aren't budging on used Highlanders since they're popular and they never stay long on the lot. Good luck with your search.
Same experience here, sells like hot cakes! I've never heard anybody who could get 3k discount on a new one.
Jul 18, 2015
277 posts
92 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
How are the seats in the newer highlanders? I've been reading reports/reviews of them being hard and not too comfortable....
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
canny19 wrote: How are the seats in the newer highlanders? I've been reading reports/reviews of them being hard and not too comfortable....
With ergonomics, you personally should try it out yourself. No review can capture how you'd feel about it unless they're the exact same size with the same issues or lack of issues regarding comfort. Not too hard to find a Toyota dealer with the one you're thinking of in stock. For instance I hate Honda ergonomics, never felt comfortable in the majority of their vehicles for that reason and I've bashed my knee plenty of times when getting in and out of Civics due to my driving position. Another one was GM's seat cushion in the Buick Lucerne, its so massive that its longer than where my knee joint is making something that would be absolutely fine for a average height or taller person very uncomfortable for the shorter person.
- Jegan V

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)