Pets

Where's the cheapest place to get dog food?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 7:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2011
158 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Where's the cheapest place to get dog food?

I was gonna buy Royal Canin mini puppy & mini adults
In the US it's $30 for 13 & 14 lb bags. In Canada it's $200 that's just from amazon.com instead of .ca

I was thinking of just shipping them to my address here but not sure on the rules. Do they have cheap places for this kinda stuff in Canada or is it best to just ship over the border.
13 replies
Feb 11, 2007
717 posts
208 upvotes
I feed my dogs Royal Canin and I buy at Petsmart but I usually take advantage of the $10 or $15 off when you buy online and pick up in store. It saves a bit of money that way. Sometimes Petsmart will have Royal Canin on sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Corneliuss wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 9:00 pm
I was gonna buy Royal Canin mini puppy & mini adults
In the US it's $30 for 13 & 14 lb bags. In Canada it's $200 that's just from amazon.com instead of .ca

I was thinking of just shipping them to my address here but not sure on the rules. Do they have cheap places for this kinda stuff in Canada or is it best to just ship over the border.
Perhaps I am reading this post incorrectly, but where do you get $200 from? We feed our dog Fromm Four Star (made in the U.S.) but we buy it in Canada. And, yes, it does cost considerably more than buying it in the U.S. (despite the Cdn. $ issues) - but in no way would it cost $200.

Royal Canin is sold in Canada as noted by other posters at PetValu and Petsmart and no doubt other stores - and not at the $200 mark. Your post would seem to indicate that the cost for 13 and 14 lb. bags is $200 Cdn. per bag or $30 U.S.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2011
158 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 9:47 am
Perhaps I am reading this post incorrectly, but where do you get $200 from? We feed our dog Fromm Four Star (made in the U.S.) but we buy it in Canada. And, yes, it does cost considerably more than buying it in the U.S. (despite the Cdn. $ issues) - but in no way would it cost $200.

Royal Canin is sold in Canada as noted by other posters at PetValu and Petsmart and no doubt other stores - and not at the $200 mark. Your post would seem to indicate that the cost for 13 and 14 lb. bags is $200 Cdn. per bag or $30 U.S.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0074JN05 ... ref=plSrch
It's $200 for the 13 lb
This Pet Valu site is awesome gonna order there
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1432 posts
493 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
There are far better quality foods than Royal Canin which are in the same price range.

Performatrin Ultra, Fromm, Acana, Orijen to name a few.

Research...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3274 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Corneliuss wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 1:44 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0074JN05 ... ref=plSrch
It's $200 for the 13 lb
This Pet Valu site is awesome gonna order there
That's just one of the ridiculous offerings on Amazon. For some things it is crazy, and I just ignore those ones. Any pet food store here in Canada will have it way cheaper.

PS - I wouldn't bother with Royal Canin anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1166 posts
230 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 4:36 pm
You can buy PC Nutrition First Puppy and Toy/Small Breed formula for about $23 for a 15lb bag. A 4.5 star rated food. Why would you buy Royal Canin, a 3.5 star at best, with inflated prices?

Royal Canin Mini Review
PC Nutrition Review
FWIW, my puppy started on Royal Canin from the breeder. I tried transitioning her to the PC Puppy food, but it gave her soft stool. YMMV.

PS> I kept her on Royal Canin for a while, then tried Acana. That worked well, but after a few bags, I got tired of the cost. I then went for the Kirkland Nature's Domain. The Kirkland product is working well for my dog, gets decent ratings, and seems to be a fair price.
Aug 1, 2006
54 posts
22 upvotes
Kirkland Nature's Domain only gets 3.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor, that's not great. Plus it's made by Diamond foods which has had a lot of recalls over the years.
There's lots of better Canadian made 5 star dog foods, but they are more expensive- eg. Horizon Legacy, Orijen, Go!, Now, Satori, Nutrience SubZero, Nutreco Wholesome Blend, Performatrin Ultra Grain Free etc.

If you want to try dehydrated raw, there's 4 main Canadian brands, Amore,NRG,Smack and Canisource Grand Cru, but the only one that is reasonably priced is the Grand Cru.
rkjredflag wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 4:21 pm
FWIW, my puppy started on Royal Canin from the breeder. I tried transitioning her to the PC Puppy food, but it gave her soft stool. YMMV.

PS> I kept her on Royal Canin for a while, then tried Acana. That worked well, but after a few bags, I got tired of the cost. I then went for the Kirkland Nature's Domain. The Kirkland product is working well for my dog, gets decent ratings, and seems to be a fair price.