Whey Protein Deals: MyProtein Impact Whey 11lb@$75

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2024 7:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
mikka1989 wrote: is it just me or not, as i always get the 'runs' when i take protein shakes? :cry: maybe user error huh

i think when i was on alot of protein, i did find i had better muscle mass/definition, im currently OFF protein supplements
You might be lactase deficient/lactose intolerant. A surprising number of people are. I thought I was till a few years ago.

If you think you are, send for the Canadianprotein samples mentioned above and check for "results" between the ultra-isolate-whey and the concentrate-whey (which has more lactose).

Or ask your GP for advice.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
Some whey protein blends come with enzymes (including an appropriate dose of lactase., among other digestive enzymes) Actually, only the high quality whey blends from good brands, which are thus the more expensive ones. Whey blends from el cheapo brands contains lots of lactose (high whey content) and no digestive enzymes.

I used to use isolate (iso93) without taking lactaid (lactase) or whey blends with lactase already mixed in, but now I'm looking for a blend or isolate without sugar nor flavor -not for muscle or exercise, but as a zero-carbs nutritional supplement for shakes.
mikka1989 wrote: imo protein in a bottle is OVERATED!!! is it just me or not, as i always get the 'runs' when i take protein shakes? :cry: maybe user error huh

i think when i was on alot of protein, i did find i had better muscle mass/definition, im currently OFF protein supplements
Grumbling guts? discomfort? the runs? (extreme case) as Nikhilvoid said you might not be able to digest lactose. Ask your general physician to have you take a hydrogen breath test for lactose intolerance (lactase deficiency.) You can always take lactase (OTC), but is kind of a guess work about the dose and timing (20-30 min. before taking any food you know/suspect contains lactose) and is expensive (lactaid ultra or act fast, regular is too slow/weak, some generics are less expensive.)
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
4672 posts
1941 upvotes
YWG
I tried some of this and it doesnt seem to great. The taste really doesnt intrigue me as well as lots of fillers.
Pass.
Better to hope for a costco sale and pick up 20 buckets of kaizen.
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Okay. This is purely speculative. You are making three presuppositions (any or all three may still be false):
Private testing may be skewed but we have to give the benefit of the doubt to those who initiate these tests. There's nothing to lose here.
1. Whey manufacturers are lying/have poor quality control/are out to get you.
Whey manufacturers are in the business to make profit. If there are unscrupulous ways to increase profit then we can assume some manufactures would put these procedures into practice. The problem here is there's no federal dept. that constantly ensures these supplements are what they claim. It is up to the public to investigate these claims.
2. This person is able to accurately measure protein content.
The person doing the test is an experienced lab technician. Of course one cannot say there will be no margin of error but we have to start somewhere. There are just not enough testing being done on supplements to confirm the ingredients on the label matches up with the contents of the product. The person doing the testing posted an interesting point. We all review benchmarks for computers and peripherals from many different sites in order to make an informed choice. How can we do that with supplements if there is NO public source of laboratory testing of supplements? It would be nice if different (independent non-profit)fitness & health sites would regularly test supplements at accredited labs and have the results publicly displayed.

It was funny that a couple of the companies in the test publicly came forward to dispute the results. That was fine until they presented their own independent lab results. This was laughable and useless since they could have ensured the sample they sent in would have met or exceed their claims on the product's label.
3. This person does not have his own personal agenda that goes beyond wanting the best for himself and his fellow consumers...
I can't see any obvious agenda here except if there's a discrepancy between the products that score positively high on his tests compared to other independent tests on the same products. Unfortunately there isn't any other tests unless people start coming forward and paying for these test at accredited labs and sharing the results. Even better if an outfit like Consumer Reports would step in and tests these supplements regularly.
A further problem is: look at the test on Kaizen: 78% of the advertised value. Even ON is "lying."

I am not one to side with Big Whey (lol) but even with a healthy amount of scepticism, this deal is a good deal for Whey till Whey prices swing back in 3-6 months based on a recent fall in the price of milk (i.e., if they swing back at all).
The closer you get to the claims on the label the more forgiving is the public. It goes without saying this effects other products even when gov't regulations are involved. Take the case of fuel mileage with automobiles. People understand they can't achieve the exact results from lab tested cars but know that it's an form of evaluating a manufacturer's claim. If real world results were consistently and grossly different from said claims then an investigation can be brought forward.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1752 posts
1902 upvotes
seems like a good deal but cant risk spending that much on something i've never tasted before. I've had some really bad whey before and it's not worth the risk for me....regardless, thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
DanP wrote: seems like a good deal but cant risk spending that much on something i've never tasted before. I've had some really bad whey before and it's not worth the risk for me....regardless, thanks OP!
Someone posted earlier in this thread a link -from the same company- to order 3 samples for CAD2, free S&H. One can select the products to sample.

Again, http://www.canadianprotein.com/samples.html#
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Beradon wrote: Private testing may be skewed but we have to give the benefit of the doubt to those who initiate these tests. There's nothing to lose here.

Whey manufacturers are in the business to make profit. If there are unscrupulous ways to increase profit then we can assume some manufactures would put these procedures into practice. The problem here is there's no federal dept. that constantly ensures these supplements are what they claim. It is up to the public to investigate these claims.

The person doing the test is an experienced lab technician. Of course one cannot say there will be no margin of error but we have to start somewhere. There are just not enough testing being done on supplements to confirm the ingredients on the label matches up with the contents of the product. The person doing the testing posted an interesting point. We all review benchmarks for computers and peripherals from many different sites in order to make an informed choice. How can we do that with supplements if there is NO public source of laboratory testing of supplements? It would be nice if different (independent non-profit)fitness & health sites would regularly test supplements at accredited labs and have the results publicly displayed.

It was funny that a couple of the companies in the test publicly came forward to dispute the results. That was fine until they presented their own independent lab results. This was laughable and useless since they could have ensured the sample they sent in would have met or exceed their claims on the product's label.

I can't see any obvious agenda here except if there's a discrepancy between the products that score positively high on his tests compared to other independent tests on the same products. Unfortunately there isn't any other tests unless people start coming forward and paying for these test at accredited labs and sharing the results. Even better if an outfit like Consumer Reports would step in and tests these supplements regularly.

The closer you get to the claims on the label the more forgiving is the public. It goes without saying this effects other products even when gov't regulations are involved. Take the case of fuel mileage with automobiles. People understand they can't achieve the exact results from lab tested cars but know that it's an form of evaluating a manufacturer's claim. If real world results were consistently and grossly different from said claims then an investigation can be brought forward.
I understand your concerns and share them.

But it is still only one person whose exact agenda is his own to know. It could be to discredit Gaspari/American Pure Whey/etc. because he may be a former employee/has some previous beef with them/etc.

The list of things companies can do to aggravate us individuals is endless.

I am saying I would rather put my limited faith in a professional group-of-critics whose paycheques depend directly and explicitly on their credibility. I would really really like something like Guru3D and Anandtech and etc. I'd like even more to have many reviewers and a Metacritic to assimilate all their findings and opinions.

Instead what we have is one person.

All that this one person can be useful for is to point out we need credible reviewers of supplements and a whole lot of them.

His actual findings cannot possibly be taken seriously by hundreds of thousands (millions?) of whey-users.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10908 posts
1061 upvotes
Mississauga
Are people still talking about those flawed Reddit tests? The so called lab technician was a physicist... Not only that, but he used a method that involved estimating... I have no doubt some companies don't meet label claims... but you have to do it right..
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
DanP wrote: seems like a good deal but cant risk spending that much on something i've never tasted before. I've had some really bad whey before and it's not worth the risk for me....regardless, thanks OP!
aviador wrote: Someone posted earlier in this thread a link -from the same company- to order 3 samples for CAD2, free S&H. One can select the products to sample.

Again, http://www.canadianprotein.com/samples.html#
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I think DanP is referring to the IST protein deal shared by OP, while aviador is linking a different company (the one offering three samples at $2 + free shipping) called CanadianProtein.com. I'll keep you guys appraised when I receive my three samples, either in this thread or in a new thread in the Sports & Fitness subforum.

Wish that IST offered samples to try, but alas, looks like even the 10lb bags offered in OP are sold out. The links say that the product cannot be found. Only the 5lb tubs are available now.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1752 posts
1902 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Correct me if I am mistaken, but I think DanP is referring to the IST protein deal shared by OP, while aviador is linking a different company (the one offering three samples at $2 + free shipping) called CanadianProtein.com. I'll keep you guys appraised when I receive my three samples, either in this thread or in a new thread in the Sports & Fitness subforum.

Wish that IST offered samples to try, but alas, looks like even the 10lb bags offered in OP are sold out. The links say that the product cannot be found. Only the 5lb tubs are available now.
Yes indeed you are correct. But i do intend on trying the canadianprotein samples. for 1.99, that's worth it. I personally drink muscle milk as a meal replacement but am looking at getting some real true whey protein.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4482 posts
2024 upvotes
CollageStudent wrote: not good. no taste. no flavour. Dont think theres 25g protein either. not by the way it tastes anyways
Isn't the bad taste a good sign?
less flavor for more protein...
Zephyranthes wrote: Hasn't happened since Janurary this year? (I'm pretty sure that's the case)

Trying to call and get my IST order cancelled... no customer service on the weekend -.-
I just called 5min ago because y'all made me doubt of my order :P
anyway, cancelling was very fast and easy (btw my order was made on the 15th)

CS: 1-888-974-4722
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1313 posts
398 upvotes
Winnipeg
just an update for all the kaizen fans awaiting the Costco sale,nothing this week agian..... :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
sixshot28 wrote: just an update for all the kaizen fans awaiting the Costco sale,nothing this week agian..... :facepalm:
facepalm indeed.

Another update: 10lbs IST whey back in stock but at $69.99. A new flavour in 5lbs: banana-strawberry.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1313 posts
398 upvotes
Winnipeg
that banana/strawberry sounds actually tempting...
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10908 posts
1061 upvotes
Mississauga
Ya'll should avoid this like the plague. Cheap protein is cheap...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Tijuana wrote: Ya'll should avoid this like the plague. Cheap protein is cheap...
I'm thinking this may be the best advice. I can't find a single English-language review of this product online...positive or otherwise. I think that's probably a very bad sign.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
sixshot28 wrote: just an update for all the kaizen fans awaiting the Costco sale,nothing this week agian..... :facepalm:
Why would it be? For the last 5 years (literally) it goes on sale 2nd week of September (back to school, back to regular routine) and 1st week of January (new year's resolution crowd).

Not sure why people are saying it won't go on sale anymore...
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10908 posts
1061 upvotes
Mississauga
Russell wrote: I'm thinking this may be the best advice. I can't find a single English-language review of this product online...positive or otherwise. I think that's probably a very bad sign.
With 1.5g of fat per serving... yeah no.... It appears as it doesn't meet label claims meaning, the label is made up :) They are missing cholesterol and 1.5g of fat is just too low...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
I see OP has updated post #1 with price calculations and links to competitors! Very nice!
Nikhilvoid wrote: (Canadianprotein's 3 samples for $1.99+FS)
Don't forget that you can also apply the CanadianProtein 5% off coupon code CP102 or CP123 to these samples too. ULTRA CHEAPSKATE MODE ENGAGED for those who are absolutely wary of trying CanadianProtein and want to get three small portions of their products for under a dollar each. When I applied one of those two codes, my $1.99 order (free shipping) got a discount of TEN AMAZING RED CENTS and then sales tax of $0.26 was added on top for a total order of $2.15. HARDCORE! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Tijuana wrote: Ya'll should avoid this like the plague. Cheap protein is cheap...
Yes. OK. I am cheap. I like my protein cheap.

Your point is?
Russell wrote: I can't find a single English-language review of this product online...positive or otherwise. I think that's probably a very bad sign.
That sounds a lot like xenoglossophobia (or even xenophobia).

Ask your GP for advice.
Cas77 wrote: Why would it be? For the last 5 years (literally) it goes on sale 2nd week of September (back to school, back to regular routine) and 1st week of January (new year's resolution crowd).

Not sure why people are saying it won't go on sale anymore...
Read the previous posts. It might not. We hope it will. This deal is a good stop-gap solution iff whey prices come down instead of going up further.
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: I see OP has updated post #1 with price calculations and links to competitors! Very nice!

Don't forget that you can also apply the CanadianProtein 5% off coupon code CP102 or CP123 to these samples too. ULTRA CHEAPSKATE MODE ENGAGED for those who are absolutely wary of trying CanadianProtein and want to get three small portions of their products for under a dollar each. When I applied one of those two codes, my $1.99 order (free shipping) got a discount of TEN AMAZING RED CENTS and then sales tax of $0.26 was added on top for a total order of $2.15. HARDCORE! :lol:
lol. Will update the OP right away.