None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2006
1768 posts

Whey Protein = Insomnia

Well, after three months of constant experimenting/testing I have
definitely concluded that whey protein powder causes severe
insomnia/excessive energy in me and my girlfriend.

Any ideas WHY we are so sensitive and what it could be that we are
sensitive to? I have also read a few cases of this on T-Nation.

I used different brands but for the most part unflavoured, unsweetened whey isolate from TrueProtein.com

I guess i'll have to steak with meat, eggs, and cottage cheese for
protein.
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
7854 posts
48 upvotes
Anyone notice what whey protein mutates into when you pour hot water to mix it?

Lumpy, rubbery stuff...
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
Not really, I always take my last shake before bed and fall right to sleep or shortly afterwards. And this is even after walking the dog for 45 minutes.

Maybe take it with water instead of milk, yeah it initially taste gross but you get use to it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
7854 posts
48 upvotes
phd1969 wrote:Not really, I always take my last shake before bed and fall right to sleep or shortly afterwards. And this is even after walking the dog for 45 minutes.

Maybe take it with water instead of milk, yeah it initially taste gross but you get use to it.
I took it for a few months last year but I stopped....

I wanted to make a milkshake with milk + ice cream today but I couldnt make the powder dissolve fast enough..... so I tried mixing it with some boiling water to speed up the process.. what I got instead was a huge, hard, sticky, lumpy thing.. it looked gross and it stuck to my kitchen sink... it reminds me of what I read somewhere, that if you microwave meat (protein) too much and too high and eat it, it becomes the exact same thing as I described and STICKS to your stomach...
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
That's why you use a blender, hand blender is the easiest.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4535 posts
137 upvotes
Are you drinking it at night or something why would it give you insomnia. I use Allmax Isoflex and I have no problems.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36343 posts
2363 upvotes
Toronto
You do know that whey is the EXACT same stuff thats found in milk right?
When they purify milk it leaves this film on the side... when they scrap it off thats "whey".

Its really gota be something else b/c essentially all your having is a extra shot of "milk protien". Its no different from adding an extra 2 or 3 chicken breast into your diet.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1311 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:You do know that whey is the EXACT same stuff thats found in milk right?
When they purify milk it leaves this film on the side... when they scrap it off thats "whey".

Its really gota be something else b/c essentially all your having is a extra shot of "milk protien". Its no different from adding an extra 2 or 3 chicken breast into your diet.
Good point.

Better yet, if you want extra protein, simply pour a huge glass of skim milk and just fire in a couple of scoops of skim milk powder that you can get from Bulk Barn or any grocery store. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
MtX wrote:Anyone notice what whey protein mutates into when you pour hot water to mix it?

Lumpy, rubbery stuff...
Ever notice what happens to egg when you cook it? ;) Protein coagulates in acid too, so orange juice is not a good idea for a shake mix. Anyway, I think what you're observing is pretty natural.
UrbanPoet wrote:When they purify milk it leaves this film on the side... when they scrap it off thats "whey".
I always thought it's the stuff that's removed from milk when they make cheese (or is this what you mean when you say "purify milk"?). Given the cost of milk and how its protein is 80% casein and 20% whey, I think the only reason it's so cheap is that cheese manufacturers would throw out the whey if they couldn't sell it to nutrition companies. Supply greatly exceeds demand because people eat mountains of cheese.

paleo, personally I think you should be happy it gives you insomnia. After I have a hard workout I just want to flop down on my bed and sleep. Need to force myself to eat and shower before doing so. If I had your affliction I could work out in the morning without consequence.

Just think about how you can drink protein instead of coffee to perk you up on demand. Sounds healthy to me!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
38 upvotes
Milton
doesnt affect me

look into other lifestyle habits, drinking, smoking, working out before bed, etc.
whey is simply protein, no reason for it to boost your energy levels or cause u to stay awake
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1742 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about you people, but I have two kinds of protein powder; the regular whey powder, and an ISO whey powder. My friend told me it's best to drink the ISO whey powder after a workout since it's more efficient than regular protein powder to send nutrients and protein to your muscles. I usually drink the regular whey powder for a meal replacement or to meet the daily protein requirements. If you're not drinking the ISO whey post or pre your workout within an hour, it's just a waste of the higher cost and qualities of the ISO whey powder IMO.

And yeah, I try not to drink any protein powder anytime near when I'm about to go to sleep; too much energy is going to digesting the protein drink in my body (which keeps me a bit aggitated and awake), I just stick with milk.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36343 posts
2363 upvotes
Toronto
causes of insomnia.
-Stress
-Diet
-health

Mainly..
MIND BODY SOUL.
Is work stressing you out? Friends pissing you off? ****** family members? MAybe your gf is giving you a hard time...
Everyone goes through ****** times in life.

Maybe even overexcitement is getting you to stay up. MAybe its your incraesed energy from your new habit of excersize and fitness. I know that after i have a good game of pick up bball im always PUMPEd.

Btw...
No1 here is a Pro Bodybuilder... so any regular Whey Protien w/ water is good after a work out.

Before you sleep its better to have slow digesting protiens in your body. so a glass of milk (altho not optimal) will be profecient. Something better would be a bowl of cottage cheese
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1311 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote: I don't know about you people, but I have two kinds of protein powder; the regular whey powder, and an ISO whey powder. My friend told me it's best to drink the ISO whey powder after a workout since it's more efficient than regular protein powder to send nutrients and protein to your muscles.
Your friend is mistaken. This idea that you need to down a protien shake on the heels of a workout to " boost " muscle growth.......is a myth.

Particuarly if you're under the false impression it will ( i.e a shake immediatley after a workout ) magically somehow maiximize or " boost " building muscle due to when it's taken. So while it's a myth for enhancements in building muscle - it does apply maximizing the replacment of muscle glycogen stores for energy.

Having a morning shake or just before a workout will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis ( building muscle ) - if not more - as one following your workout. So, it's better to have a shake sometime BEFORE the workout, not immediatley after. Taking a liquid pre-workout shake dramatically increases muscle blood flow and protein synthesis This bump in muscle growth is at least TWICE as good as that you'd get with the same shake taken post-workout . In fact, this effect even lasts for an hour after the workout, so it
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13413 posts
283 upvotes
Midland
I bought some Whey Protein Isolate (unflavoured) with no aspartame because of the health benefits - not for bodybuilding.
I didn't find it to keep me awake or anything.
I heard that you should mix it by hand or shake it in a bottle, not mix it with an electric mixer.
It's good to eat a well balanced diet as well.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge