Food & Drink

Are whipped/beated eggs in a carton good for you?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 12:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough

Are whipped/beated eggs in a carton good for you?

I've always been the type to just cook eggs from a shell and never from a carton, lately my in-laws have convinced me to try the carton versions but it's still confusing to fathom how the egg whites only turn out and taste exactly like regular eggs if they don't come with yolk? Then there's the version that has whole eggs in a carton too. When I research if I can store whipped/beaten eggs in the fridge they say maximum 3 days. How and what are in these cartons that make them look and taste like real eggs and most important, how can they last all this time?

Any pros and cons?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: it's still confusing to fathom how the egg whites only turn out and taste exactly like regular eggs if they don't come with yolk?
I mean... I can easily tell liquid egg whites from whole eggs.

Assuming scrambled it's harder to determine shell eggs and liquid whole eggs.
When I research if I can store whipped/beaten eggs in the fridge they say maximum 3 days. How and what are in these cartons that make them look and taste like real eggs and most important, how can they last all this time?

They are real eggs. Just cracked, sometimes with an acidifier, and usually pasteurized.
The pasteurization is key and why it can last a month in a carton but only lasts 3 days when opened.
Any pros and cons?
Pros: No cracking
Cons: Costs more
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6293 posts
2569 upvotes
Something about the eggs in a carton is not very appealing to me. I have bought them before and sometimes they have that eggy smell. I prefer to stick with the real, fresh eggs cracked myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3148 posts
992 upvotes
Mississauga
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa hmmmmmmmmmm.......... Neutral Face
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18183 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
OrangeBerry wrote: I've always been the type to just cook eggs from a shell and never from a carton, lately my in-laws have convinced me to try the carton versions but it's still confusing to fathom how the egg whites only turn out and taste exactly like regular eggs if they don't come with yolk? Then there's the version that has whole eggs in a carton too. When I research if I can store whipped/beaten eggs in the fridge they say maximum 3 days. How and what are in these cartons that make them look and taste like real eggs and most important, how can they last all this time?

Any pros and cons?
Liquid egg whites in the carton are just regular egg whites separated from the yolks, but they're pasteurized, which is why they last longer in a sealed container not exposed to air. Eggs you beat or whip yourself aren't pasteurized and are exposed to air and the germs in it, which is why they only last 3 days.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
Piro21 wrote: Liquid egg whites in the carton are just regular egg whites separated from the yolks, but they're pasteurized, which is why they last longer in a sealed container not exposed to air. Eggs you beat or whip yourself aren't pasteurized and are exposed to air and the germs in it, which is why they only last 3 days.
But the version I bought is liquid egg whites but it's yellow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6293 posts
2569 upvotes
They might also be adding colour to it to make it look more appealing.

Personally, I think it is always best to use "whole" foods when cooking from a health and nutrition point of view. "Whole" meaning closest to the raw state of the food. This would mean using a real egg instead of a processed egg. We really have no way of knowing how things are processed, if chemicals are used, etc. when it comes to food we purchase in packages or cartons. Similar thing goes with orange juice, for example. I realize it is near impossible to not buy some processed foods but the more you can get to preparing meals from scratch, the better I believe it is for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3148 posts
992 upvotes
Mississauga
OrangeBerry wrote: But the version I bought is liquid egg whites but it's yellow.
Did you buy egg whites (ingredients = egg whites) OR did you buy one of those egg white creations???
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1949 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
Does anybody remember the scrambled eggs in a carton? I don't think those are sold in grocery stores anymore. Maybe at least not in Canada. Or, maybe I just haven't noticed them.

I always wondered how the scrambled eggs in a carton could last for so long as well.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2868 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Pros: No cracking
Cons: Costs more
Cons: not fresh eggs, contains preservatives
ds2chan wrote: Does anybody remember the scrambled eggs in a carton? I don't think those are sold in grocery stores anymore. Maybe at least not in Canada. Or, maybe I just haven't noticed them.

I always wondered how the scrambled eggs in a carton could last for so long as well.
Scrambled.. as in pre-cooked?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
trane0 wrote: Cons: not fresh eggs, contains preservatives
Not that I've read every brand, but most of them are just pasteurized.
I haven't seen any one contain preservatives unless you count something like citric acid (or it could be another acid, I don't recall)
Some have nothing but eggs though.

What I wouldn't give for yolks at the consumer level though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
Alright look, this is what I purchased and this is why I am completely and utterly confused. Maybe someone can shed some light. This product states it's made completely with egg whites and it has no preservatives or artificial flavors and yet the liquid is YELLOW and you can clearly see a picture of an omelette burrito. We know that egg whites are transparent and when cooked turn out white. So my question is how can a product that states it's only egg whites come out as a finished product like if it had egg yolk in it?

Piro21 wrote: Liquid egg whites in the carton are just regular egg whites separated from the yolks, but they're pasteurized, which is why they last longer in a sealed container not exposed to air. Eggs you beat or whip yourself aren't pasteurized and are exposed to air and the germs in it, which is why they only last 3 days.
Well these seem to be regular egg whites but they are yellow
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3052 posts
1647 upvotes
GTA
Ingredients: Liquid egg whites, sea salt, gum blend, beta-carotene, mono and di-glycerides, vitamins and minerals

Lots of other stuff aside from eggs in there. The beta carotene is what makes it yellow I believe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
N8Magic wrote: Ingredients: Liquid egg whites, sea salt, gum blend, beta-carotene, mono and di-glycerides, vitamins and minerals

Lots of other stuff aside from eggs in there. The beta carotene is what makes it yellow I believe.
So they say after pasteurization the eggs can last a lot longer, is the case even if they are in liquid form or only when pasteurized with the shell? In other words, if I pasteurize my liquid eggs can they last as long as the ones I would buy in the carton?