Boxing Day 2012 Deals Archive

[Home] Whirlpool frontload washer/dryer?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2012 6:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4463 posts
166 upvotes
Burnaby

Whirlpool frontload washer/dryer?

So I'm looking to get a whirlpool frontload washer/dryer set this boxing week, and HD has a set for $945 this week:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/35-cubi ... her/812046
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/67-cubi ... yer/812641

However, the brick also has a set for $945 as well:

https://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/ ... ction=jump

Now the model numbers are prety much the same, except for an additional letter in the HD versions (YWFW9050XW vs YWFW9050W, and YWED9050XW vs YWED9050W)

HD claims it's a 3.5 cuft washer, while the brick has it as 4.0 cuft.

Are these two truely two different models? Everything I've seen from google makes me think it's a 4.0 cuft and not 3.5 cuft, but because of the slight different model numbers, I'm getting confused.

Also, does anyone know if you need a special kit to stack these or can you just put them on top of each other without anything special?
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
16 replies
Mar 29, 2007
63 posts
19 upvotes
Just a friendly word of warning. Google 'frontload washer smell' before deciding for sure. My wife and I have a whirlpool WFW9550WR00, to be honest I'm just waiting for it to break cause the smell it makes is gross. Love the look of the front load but trying to prevent the smell takes too much work and money IMHO.

Cheers.
Jun 8, 2012
5 posts
37 upvotes
Sherwood Park
howitzer wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 8:48 am
Just a friendly word of warning. Google 'frontload washer smell' before deciding for sure. My wife and I have a whirlpool WFW9550WR00, to be honest I'm just waiting for it to break cause the smell it makes is gross. Love the look of the front load but trying to prevent the smell takes too much work and money IMHO.

Cheers.
I also bought a front load washer last summer, and I am looking at top loads now. We've had a lot of problems with ours.
Aug 24, 2009
374 posts
60 upvotes
We just leave the washer door open a crack, and we don't have the smell problem, but it's only been 9 months or so. We have the Samsung WF511s.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8217 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
CadillacJack wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 9:27 am
We just leave the washer door open a crack, and we don't have the smell problem, but it's only been 9 months or so. We have the Samsung WF511s.
I was just about to write this. We've had our Frigidaire laundry pair for over 6 years and had the smell problem early on. I read online to never close the door shut when it's not being used because the stagnant water collects in the big rubber gasket that seals the door shut. Haven't had smell issues in over 5 years now.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Jan 16, 2006
232 posts
27 upvotes
Fredericton, NB
The Samsung and LG models now have a small door at the bottom of the units that allow you to extract the water from the bottom of the tub. Apparently, it kills the smell completely, as long as you take the water out every couple weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4463 posts
166 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks for the replys. I've read about the smell problems, as well as leaving the doors open as the solution.

It's not an option to get a top loading (I currently have one) since it's for a small suite renovation and the space only allows for a stackable front loading set.

Anyone have the Whrilpool set(s) in question and can chime in?
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

Mar 29, 2007
63 posts
19 upvotes
We learned to leave the door open and the smell is fine when not in use. When you actually use it the laundry room reeks. Don't know if it's just whirlpool or the age ~3 years old. Maybe the new ones are better now. We use the affresh tablets which helps but they aren't cheap.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2228 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
i have front load, just leave door open a crack and you should never have smell problems
Feb 20, 2011
459 posts
87 upvotes
gheart008 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 5:24 am
So I'm looking to get a whirlpool frontload washer/dryer set this boxing week, and HD has a set for $945 this week:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/35-cubi ... her/812046
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/67-cubi ... yer/812641

However, the brick also has a set for $945 as well:

https://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/ ... ction=jump

Now the model numbers are prety much the same, except for an additional letter in the HD versions (YWFW9050XW vs YWFW9050W, and YWED9050XW vs YWED9050W)

HD claims it's a 3.5 cuft washer, while the brick has it as 4.0 cuft.

Are these two truely two different models? Everything I've seen from google makes me think it's a 4.0 cuft and not 3.5 cuft, but because of the slight different model numbers, I'm getting confused.

Also, does anyone know if you need a special kit to stack these or can you just put them on top of each other without anything special?
I have the same exact set, and I think spending a bit more on a better set might be a better choice. The washer has very little cycle options and the normal wash cycle take for ever (Approx. 1h30). I've also leveled the darn thing to perfection and it still shakes so bad that it moves around on spin cycle.(I have the pedestals so that might make it worse). As for the smell if you leave the door open you wont have any issues. No issues with the dryer.
Jun 12, 2008
611 posts
60 upvotes
Ripley
You do need to buy the special stacking kit. Usually $30-50 depending on the brand. The units move around too much to stay together without it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9652 posts
451 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> I've also leveled the darn thing to perfection and it still shakes so bad that it moves around on spin cycle.

Did you install it yourself? Maybe someone forgot to remove one of the bolts at the back that secures the drum for transport. My uncle installed mine, and the washer used to buck around, until I saw that he forgot to remove all of them.

As others have already mentioned, leave the door open. I've also been wiping the excess water from the rubber lip, as well as leave the detergent tray open to try. No smells here, and haven't neede to buy one of those cleaning kits.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4463 posts
166 upvotes
Burnaby
bobbyg9 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 4:15 pm
I have the same exact set, and I think spending a bit more on a better set might be a better choice. The washer has very little cycle options and the normal wash cycle take for ever (Approx. 1h30). I've also leveled the darn thing to perfection and it still shakes so bad that it moves around on spin cycle.(I have the pedestals so that might make it worse). As for the smell if you leave the door open you wont have any issues. No issues with the dryer.
Is yours the one from HD where the model number has the "X" or the brick one without? I still can't tell if it's the same model or not.

afshaikh wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:33 am
Why not buy this Maytag set from Home Depot instead ?

grey/silver set front load for $1096......is this not a better deal ?

I need to get a pair myself

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/40-cubi ... her/952853
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/67-cubi ... yer/952855
Because it's $200 more. Thr brick actually has their Whirlpool set for $899 on boxing day. This is for a rental suite, so don't need anything fancy.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
I have a whirlpool FL for 6 years now, but not this model. I always leave the door open after a wash. Never had a problem with smell. Then one day I forgot I washed a load and left the wet clothes overnight and the next day there was a musty smell that wouldn't go away despite multiple hot washes with bleach. Even my clothes washed thereafter would smell like it. On YouTube there are "lessons" that tell you how to open the bottom front panel of the washer to drain a hose and how to clean it put. For someone as unhandyman as me, I was able to follow the video and cleaned and drain the washer. Since that day(about two years now) we had no smell issues again if we keep the door open , wipe the inside door and once I awhile wipe the inner rubber rim. To note, I also found a couple of baby socks inside the rim, which probably contributed to the smell.
× < >