Whistling/Howling Sound from Skylight

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 5:25 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
16 posts
2 upvotes

Whistling/Howling Sound from Skylight

It's been quite windy the last few days and I am getting a whistling/howling noise from my skylight. I have a sound clip of it, but can't upload it here on redflagdeal.

What options do I have to solve this issue? Can I caulk the skylight from the inside? Or do I have to go out and caulk around the exterior of the skylight?

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2820 posts
1023 upvotes
There have been extreme high winds, and the whistling may be caused by the external shape of the skylight.

Honestly, there is not much to bother with doing, provided there are no leaks.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1442 upvotes
SW Ontario
Shape, roof angle, roof flashing around the skylight, wind direction, style of skylight will all play apart in the noises you hear ... even snow/ice around it will play a major factor.

I've had Velux skylights in my home now for 20 years, and have heard all sorts of strange noises often unique to that storm.

Unless you have a leak, water staining, or condensation problem, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
138 upvotes
Comox Valley
It may be possible that a new gasket did not go on the top of the skylight box (if you have a box instead of Velux) A gasket is not used every time, and if a roofer does not have it with him, he is unwilling to go to the lumber store to pick up.

I would prefer to have one on, to safe on energy cost.