None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6623 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto

White leather sofa: easy to maintain?

Im considering getting a white leather sofa set for my living room.
I would had thought it'll be easy to maintain and clean (wipe down, dust etc)

My wife says otherwise and it'llbe a pain to maintain.

We have a 4 year old son as well.

Just wondered if anyone that does have light colored leather sofas can comment.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10096 posts
956 upvotes
Brampton
Good luck especially with a 4 year old :cheesygri

We have light beige leather sofas & they stain very easily, not the 'slippery' kind of leather, so hard to wipe things off from. I can't imagine having a white one... :eek: We have 3 young kids, so the only leather sofa I would get next time would be dark chocolate colour with the 'slippery' kind of leather that wipes off easily.

So if it wipes off easily & you really like it & only have 1 child, then you might be ok.....
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3789 posts
235 upvotes
Calgary
Dont do it. Sweat dirt food coffee pop OJ blod ...... will not clean off.

If you insit on buying it then pay the $$$$ to have it scothchguarded.

We destroyed a high $ light leather (nubuck) sofa in four years.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6623 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the advice.

I will opt for a different color then. Perhaps a dark red. Just wanted soemthing other than brown or black to brighten up the room.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
we have a non-smooth white leather sofa...it's hard to keep clean! all of us are adult but we have a dog and occasional guests with kids...our dog is fine...in fact...it's one of his favourite sleeping area...but the kids can really mess it up...with the coke & chocolate and such....not recommended if you have a kid...
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14317 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
We have no kids,and we can't keep light coloured furniture clean.

guess you got your answer.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Apr 4, 2006
393 posts
13 upvotes
I too thinking about getting a white sofa from- http://www.lindfurniture.com/Home-563.aspx

I guess I better go with orange then. :twisted:

BTW, any comments of Lind Furniture? Thanks in advance
mlc2000 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2007 10:02 am
We have no kids,and we can't keep light coloured furniture clean.

guess you got your answer.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22721 posts
873 upvotes
Markham, ON
my off white sofa still looks news after a year...no problems whatsoever

but that could change in a few months...newborn expecting in late Aug :D
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2583 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
We got white/light beige color last year from choice furniture. It's a living room set, doesn't' get much use. We were wondering about hte same thing with kids eventually too... Ahh wel.. they probably won't be in the living room much :) I definitely wouldn't make it a family room set.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
I think you have to first make sure you are getting a good leather then colour isn't much of an issue as they all clean easily and well and really don't stain. The lesser stuff is up for grabs when it comes to how it will react and for sure if it isn't smooth you are in a different game all together. Better leathers also don't show scratches as much and just last longer so are well worth the investment.

I had a cream coloured set for about 10 years. It lived through a puppy who pretty much left behind any bodily fluid or function you can imagine and it all wiped right up, no stain, no problem. I even dropped an open bottle of nail polish on that set and it didn't damage it either (I'm not so sure a darker colour would have survived the polish remover as well as the cream did). No complaints about the colour at all in the end.

What light coloured leather does do is show the dirt earlier than a darker colour though. Throw down a newspaper and you will see the ink on the sofa if it's white or cream whereas you won't see it on a dark colour. It doesn't mean it isn't there, just that you don't notice it. I suspect it's much easier to get that sort of thing off right away so light can be an advantage in that regard.

I have a darker set now and have to actually remember to clean it. I am not sure that is a good thing as they do need to be cleaned/moisturized regularly to maintain the leather and I bet if I took the cleaner to it right now I would probably be grossed out at just how much stuff is on it. If it was white or cream I bet I would have been at it a few times by now so count that as lighter colours mean you are actually aware of the dirt and getting rid of it more often. So maybe a little higher in maintenance but not a worry as far as permanent stains. That cream set taught me just how tough leather can be as no other fabric would have survived what it went through and still looked fine after all those years.

BTW since you have a 4 yr old I'll tell you I also had paint, ball point pen, felt pen, wax, wine, shoe polish, and a few other nightmares fall on that cream leather and they all came off. Again part of the bonus of a white or light colour is I didn't have to worry too much about any cleaner I used taking the colour out of the leather.
× < >