Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 2, 2008
71 posts
L5B

White Out vs Correction Tape

Which do you prefer?

I like the ease of use of correction tape, but I find that it rips because of my speed and pressure when writing. White out doesn't usually come off, but it smells and you have to wait for it to dry.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2100 posts
7 upvotes
i have a cisco switch wrote:
Aug 27th, 2008 3:50 am
Which do you prefer?

I like the ease of use of correction tape, but I find that it rips because of my speed and pressure when writing. White out doesn't usually come off, but it smells and you have to wait for it to dry.
how old are you?

I have seen students use these in grade 9/10. Otherwise no one bothers, too time consuming, its better to just scratch it off with your pen.
Banned
Apr 28, 2007
1206 posts
12 upvotes
heat wrote:
Aug 27th, 2008 3:59 am
how old are you?

I have seen students use these in grade 9/10. Otherwise no one bothers, too time consuming, its better to just scratch it off with your pen.
haha yea, at the college/university level, no one bothers with these things. for assignments, you either write carefully (not have mistakes) or type out your work and for quizzes/test/exams, there is simply no time and these things take up much more time then needed.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 2, 2008
71 posts
L5B
heat wrote:
how old are you?

First-year college (wanted Uni, got into 3 AMAZING programs, including one with an 80 cut-off when I had a 72.6 average, but family insists on me doing College :( )

I usually just scratch it out, but i like having a nice, clean piece of paper.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20228 posts
1496 upvotes
If I have the time Ill use white out. The Pilot G2 tends to shred the tape.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2005
2445 posts
1 upvote
Not sure if OP is doing lab report. But TAs and profs insist that you cross it out rather than white it out, for obvious reasons.
现实的社会,毁了我一个做好人的机会。
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Pencil all the way, I have always resisted the mighty pen.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2480 posts
38 upvotes
heat wrote:
how old are you?

Seconded.

I used to be pencil only... but traded it in for the pen due to less friction
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2100 posts
7 upvotes
Aug 27th, 2008 4:02 am

When you're sitting in a lecture, it's not gonna be possible. Your mind will be focused on clearing out that mistake you made, and you may miss out on key points of that lecture.

If you want a clean piece of paper, write it neat lol, title, lecture # and date. Thats all that I need to make me feel good about my papers :lol:
Nov 14, 2004
702 posts
61 upvotes
Aug 27th, 2008 4:02 am
First-year college (wanted Uni, got into 3 AMAZING programs, including one with an 80 cut-off when I had a 72.6 average, but family insists on me doing College :( )

lol

Unless they are paying for your college I don't understand how they could prevent you from going to university.

I also agree with everyone else. Just cross it out, there's no time to make your notes pretty.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1472 posts
39 upvotes
Scarborough
Pencil for everything I do unless otherwise instructed, in which case I type it out. For stuff that must be done in pen (like lab reports done in the lab notebook), I simply cross out any errors. This way, if you need to get something remarked, there's no way for a TA or prof to claim that you edited it after the fact. Always gotta look out for your interests...
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Aug 6, 2008
136 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I always use pencil, but some profs want everything in pen. White Out and correction tape take too long to use - especially when you're scrambling to finish an exam.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
1791 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I use pencil for most of my notes and stuff and only pen when necessary. If you're writing an exam or taking notes though, crossing stuff out is a better option than whiting it out.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2007
1145 posts
41 upvotes
All my profs preferred that we didn't use white out/correction tape on exams or tests. Even on assignments, they preferred that we crossed out our mistakes rather than using white out. Crossing out is a lot easier, faster especially on exams/quizzes.

Writing in pen is always a must (except in multiple choice questions) because if any liquids get on the exam papers, pen will always stick out more than pencil because the lead rubs off easily.

When I was in third year, my prof's new puppy ate some of our exams when his back was turned, then his puppy barfed up the exams that she ate a few moments late. The prof had to gently rinse off the exam booklets and blow it with a hairdryer. And there was no rewriting the exams since most of didn't want to rewrite it again but the exam only counted for 15% of our grade so it really wasn't huge deal. He marked our exams based on the remaining parts of the exams that the prof could read and marked really lenient. Thank goodness all of us wrote in pen because ink can still stand out when wet while pencil can rub off when wet.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1777 posts
71 upvotes
This should be a no-brainer.

Don't use anything, just cross it out. There shouldn't even be an opportunity for you to use any correction tool. Essays/papers should be typed up and you won't have time to use it on exams.

I was a TA for a bit and I absolutely hated marking anything with white out or correction tape on them. I hate the smell and the texture it gives to the paper plus it makes it harder for us to give you part marks for whatever you covered up.
× < >