Who are the best Condo Builders in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 11:15 pm
Tags:
May 12, 2009
99 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Homes were overbuilt before and will be built more efficiently in the future but right now it is in a weird area of being neither. Maybe i will just stick to renting for a few more years

For future of home building , builders should install a self diagnosing system for homes/condos showing how old certain areas or parts of the house is ie boiler, roof, what kind of condition they are in, if they are recommended to be replaced, the overall efficiency the home is running at (too much heat used could mean windows should be replaced).
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
There is no such thing as a good condo builder. There are only well built buildings or poorly built buildings.
Every developer uses contractors. Every contractor uses sub contractors. Both change from building to building.
Two buildings by the same developer can have completely different work crews.
Jul 18, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
Sierra Homes / Sierra Building Group: Very dishonest. We bought from this builder in 2007. We (neighbours and us) have yet to get our grading deposit back. Neighbours are now realizing there's something wrong. For all you first-time owners out there, do not buy from this builder if you have choices. The city is not assuming the development because this builder is ignoring its list of deficiencies (i.e., it's not fixing what it's supposed to fix above and below ground). The funds to the grading deposit is only released when the city assumes the development. We're all in limbo. As to why this builder is not holding up its end of the deal, there has been no explanation for that.

The list of things is just too much and there are much more honest people out there. This builder uses the cheapest or recycled building materials (on closing inspection, light fixture was broken, door was second-hand with repaired dents, rusted latches, those red and blue plumbing lines are hanging all over the place in the furnace room, upgraded for a fridge water and its guy drilled all the way around through the kitchen cabinets to under the kitchen sink instead of through the floor, carpet installation was not one big piece but several pieces with visible seams, visible popped nails everywhere, exterior cement workmanship looks like globs rather than smooth). Are these typical problems? It's how the builder deals with them that builds the reputation. It'll gladly fix easy things but not the real problems like a leaky window. Good luck trying to get things right when they know their mistakes or poor supervision on the job would cost them dearly later. This builder is more about getting away with a smile than doing its job right. The middle of one neighbour's garage frame sagged slightly. Unbelievable. Its repairs people appear nice and friendly but you know they've got an agenda to get away with things by using smiles. Action speaks louder than words, wouldn't you say, Sierra?

Sierra is building some condos in Markham.

Has anyone been able to find an updated Sierra website?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
All developers do about the same job. Remember that they build to code so you won't see much difference with the materials and techniques used between builders. The difference though is some builders have expertise in condo building and actually have their own group of workers. While others have to use construction companies who will take just about anyone who can hold a hammer. A builder like Tridel will have a higher standard than say....Urbancorp. But even Tridel has their own issues. They're one of the best, though.

In my experience (and I've had a lot of experiences with the different developers).

I would buy from the following:
Monarch
Menkes
Tridel
Daniels
Concert
Great Gulf
Pinnacle
Tribute
Aspen Ridge

I'd consider buying from:
Harhay
Plaza
Sobara

I would under no circumstances buy from:
Lanterra
Freed
Urbancorp
Lamb
Streetcar
Concord Adex
and pretty much any builder who wasn't around before the boom. There are exceptions of course

There are more but that's all I can think of right now.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Magoomba wrote: There is no such thing as a good condo builder. There are only well built buildings or poorly built buildings.
Every developer uses contractors. Every contractor uses sub contractors. Both change from building to building.
Two buildings by the same developer can have completely different work crews.
You're correct but some developers have a crew they tend to work with. Some construction companies employ just about anyone. You're right though. Just some devs tend to have more poorly built condos than others.
Aug 9, 2014
468 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hands down Solmar. The architecture in their condos are very European and modern. Downside is they seem to only build in Vaughan, but still in a good area.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
jdu0ng wrote: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/02/urb ... opers-2010

1. Tridel
2. Great Gulf Homes
3. Liberty
4. Concord
5. Graywood
6. Monarch
7. Menkes
8. Daniels

Of course, the top 10 can swap every year, depending on condo projects released.

I don't know about this list. Concord is a terrible builder. They have lawsuits all over the place for various issues and it stems from their shoddy construction. Terrible, terrible builder (in Toronto). The rest are all pretty good.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Um, condo developers build to the lowest possible standard they can without it being illegal and that standard is called The Building Code. What they do to the highest possible standard is the presentation centre, their website and their slick marketing materials to reel you in. They then wash their hands of the condo building once it is sold.

It's not too difficult to figure out who comes first and it's not you.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
newguy123 wrote: i'm not sure of risking my money into a condo
Then don't. Just rent and let others assume the risk. Of course if you spend the money you save at the restaurant, you won't really be further ahead, although you might be happier. It takes a lot of discipline to invest/save more than 10% of your income. Some people view a mortgage as a forced savings.

Condo fees are never fun, but houses are very expensive to maintain as well.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Aug 15, 2009
323 posts
108 upvotes
North America
JayLove06 wrote: Concord is a terrible builder. They have lawsuits all over the place for various issues and it stems from their shoddy construction. Terrible, terrible builder (in Toronto).
Humm, don't exclude Vancouver, which is Concord's headquarters. They build crappy stuff too in the GVR / Metro Vancouver.
Condo fees are never fun, but houses are very expensive to maintain as well.
This is so not true. You can fix and/or upgrade things at your leisure when you own a detached dwelling.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Best builders IMO are Tribute, Reliance, Lanterra, H&R and Tridel. And when I say best, I mean the least worst. Condos are all terribly built.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Aethean wrote: Best builders IMO are Tribute, Reliance, Lanterra, H&R and Tridel. And when I say best, I mean the least worst. Condos are all terribly built.
Lanterra? Really? Interesting.

What about Aspen Ridges?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
JayLove06 wrote: Lanterra? Really? Interesting.

What about Aspen Ridges?
If you're going to state somethings interesting you might as well state why. Never even heard of Aspen Ridges.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I worked for Sorbara back in the mid 90's. I was the project accountant for their very first build. Brewery Loft on Sumach. Converting a old warehouse into residential loft building, at the time, there were only handful of loft style conversion going on. In the end, the building turned out exceptionally good

JayLove06 wrote: All developers do about the same job. Remember that they build to code so you won't see much difference with the materials and techniques used between builders. The difference though is some builders have expertise in condo building and actually have their own group of workers. While others have to use construction companies who will take just about anyone who can hold a hammer. A builder like Tridel will have a higher standard than say....Urbancorp. But even Tridel has their own issues. They're one of the best, though.

In my experience (and I've had a lot of experiences with the different developers).

I would buy from the following:
Monarch
Menkes
Tridel
Daniels
Concert
Great Gulf
Pinnacle
Tribute
Aspen Ridge

I'd consider buying from:
Harhay
Plaza
Sobara

I would under no circumstances buy from:
Lanterra
Freed
Urbancorp
Lamb
Streetcar
Concord Adex
and pretty much any builder who wasn't around before the boom. There are exceptions of course

There are more but that's all I can think of right now.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Aethean wrote: If you're going to state somethings interesting you might as well state why. Never even heard of Aspen Ridges.
Lanterra just isn't a reputable builder in my opinion. Their buildings have too many problems. They also have some of the cheapest finishes out of all the builders.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Different perspectives then. From a construction standpoint Lanterra seemed to be on the ball compared to the others. Riverhouse for example was done exceptionally well since its a higher end building. I hope you're not expecting custom quality for mass produced cookie cutter condo's under 350k though, in that case all units from every builder will be terrible.
Aug 14, 2011
36 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Good Morning Red Flag Dealers!
Well its 2015 now anyone have any updates on who has better quality? or if any of the older developers have dropped in quality? or if any new developers are building beyond code?

I think you in advance, I am a new comer to GTA area and looking for a place that is reasonably priced and quality is a factor.

Regards,
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21357 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
They all pretty much have the same crappy quality. They use the same construction companies, same trades. Build to the minimum code. So, they all suck. The difference to me is..finishes, ability to finish the building relatively on schedule, with the least amount of headaches.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)