Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA

Who Buys Used Lenovo's from IBM?

My employer provides me with high-spec'd Lenovo's (T & W series) for work. I've purchased a T430 for home use in the past and am in the market for a new or used one.

When I look at the prices of used Lenovo's from the following website, why would anybody buy them vs new?

IBM used Lenovo's:

1. Have less warranty - 3 months used vs 1 yr new
2. Batteries may be questionable though IBM may give you a new one if you complain enough
3. Offer some upgrades like SSD or more RAM but you can buy aftermarket pretty cheap and install yourself
4. Old technology
5. Are used

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/we ... langId=124

So IBM offers PCs that are used and typically 3-5 years old but prices are only about 50% or more of a new price.

Obviously the PCs are market-priced, but is the used market really that expensive? They don't seem like a great deal to me, though IIRC the IBM site sometimes has some sales for around $100 off.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I wouldn't either at these prices. I've purchased a few things in the past and they're hundred bucks cheaper than what's listed now.
I think I picked up a T420S a while back for just under $400 and not close to $500.

-Warranty isn't really an issue to me. Thinkpads are usually built pretty well. Any issues that are going to pop up are probably going to be visible within 3 months.
-It's a used notebook. I'm expecting a crappier battery. The ones I've received are still pretty good though, 70-80% capacity. I'm not concerned anyway since I always keep a battery pack with me because new notebooks have crap batteries.
-I strip RAM/HDD and replace in every notebook I buy.
-I don't really need new technology. The only real upgrade between a T440s and a T420s is the CPU. There's no reason for me to pay $500 for an upgraded CPU. For me an i5 2520M is PLENTY powerful enough.
-As long as it's in good condition I don't mind used. Mine came pristine.

For $400 I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. $500 I'd probably think twice. If I needed it badly I'd still buy it again.
Considering the top end model containing a 128GB SSD is $1100 vs $400, I can easily take the $700 difference, but a bigger SSD, brand new battery, and some RAM and still come out $400 ahead with basically a CPU downgrade.
Even at listed prices of $500 I'd still be saving $300 (plus taxes) at the end of the day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Probably sole proprietors who don't have time to shop and wants more consistent experience from the vendor.

Agree with everything death_hawk said, plus:
1. If you plan on repeatedly buying used and save money while having the most performance, the warranty from Lenovo would increase the cost of the machine. If the machine is off-lease and worked on the spot, it should be fine. The saving can be used to buy parts to replace or upgrade. These machines are meant to be taken apart and put back together with basic tools. The risks to me is worth it.
2. Wireless modules are also upgradeable, BT and Wifi, possibly cellular 3G or 4G with SIM
3. I would opt for USB 3.0 when I can (availability and price). I got X220T with USB2.0, and when I needed to transfer files the most, I also needed speed the most.
4. Many of the original owners on Kijiji really babied their business machines, it's probably less risky to buy from them than from a huge pool of corporate users. You can tell visually from the type of wears on the machine. Condition of the CPU fan was my only concern, it's not cheap and a lot of work to replace. Other than that, if something worked for 3yrs, it would probably work another 3. I worked my 10yr old T43 and it still refuse to have even a bad sector, let alone dying. My HP was different story in a year, screen went black, possibly soldering issues as I never turn it off.

So if I can source locally, I would not go IBM. If I had to source online, I probably win rolling the dices going for B grade off-lease off ebay.

EDIT: What I don't understand is, there seemed to be a jump in price from last November. Did people run out of money and all decided to get business grade machine? or it's the strengthening USD?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
Thanks for the responses so far.

death_hawk wrote: -I don't really need new technology. The only real upgrade between a T440s and a T420s is the CPU. There's no reason for me to pay $500 for an upgraded CPU. For me an i5 2520M is PLENTY powerful enough.
I'm not usually one to be at the front of the performance curve either but I currently use a W540. It's blazing fast even burdened with company bloatware, but what's really impressive is how cool it runs (and by extension the battery lasts a long time). My previous W510 got very warm at the heat sink when running CPU-intensive apps.

aviador wrote: [OP] might want to check DFS CA outlet at ebay, if price is the main concern.
Price isn't really a big concern but I like to get value for my $. I'm partial to Lenovos and although my W540 performs very well, I absolutely hate the user interface. I'm considering older models b/c of the UI, but the new 450/550 models (soon to be released) may bring back some of the features that were removed in the 440/540 iteration.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)