• Apr 24th, 2018 4:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1232 posts
104 upvotes

Who can I contact to convert fireplace

Hi guys

I have a wood burning over style fire place which has a chimney and goes out the roof.

I want to convert it into a gas style fire place with a switch. Like the ones they have in new homes.

I’m not into getting firewood and lighting it up inside the oven.

Who can I contact to get it converted? And what’s the estimated price I should expect to pay? Also, anything I know about about prior to doing it?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
Any HVAC place. You will need an insert, gas line run, and a liner for your wood burner. Anywhere from 3-6k. I’d guess 4k but depends on a lot of factors.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2969 posts
751 upvotes
Ottawa
Go to any fireplace store. That's what they do. You can see all the various manufacturers and options as well. We used the Fireplace Centre here in Ottawa for our insert https://fireplacecenter.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1232 posts
104 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:39 am
Any HVAC place. You will need an insert, gas line run, and a liner for your wood burner. Anywhere from 3-6k. I’d guess 4k but depends on a lot of factors.
Hvac place? I swear they deal with furnace and stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4853 posts
1603 upvotes
Paris
snipe2014 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:34 am
The “and stuff” is fireplaces, ac units, mini splits
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
snipe2014 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:34 am
It is a common thing you are wanting, and there is much crossover between HVAC and fireplaces. (Frankly, a plumber with a gas fitter certification could install your fireplace.)

Both would have the knowledge and accreditation to run in a gas line in to, and venting out of, your existing fireplace.
I'd side with a reputable gas fireplace installer, simply because they know the product they are installing. Retrofitting is a skill onto itself.

Asking how much it will cost is like asking how long a piece of string is.
Jul 20, 2012
542 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Not knowing your location, but if you are in the GTA Marsh's Fireplace on Dundas St. West is probably your best bet. That's all they do.
Apr 27, 2015
163 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone had their fireplaces converted and would recommend a place in the GTA? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2863 posts
1925 upvotes
The places that sell and install gas fireplaces can give you a quote.

Things to consider:

- Where is the closest gas line to your fireplace? How far do they have to run the gas line, and through what barriers?

- You need an existing chimney big enough to run the intake and exhaust vents through it, then modification of the chimney cap. Alternatively you can vent through the wall, but requires more work/expense.

- What are the dimensions of your existing fireplace, depth/width/height. That will determine what you can fit in there. We had one fireplace with a brick arch, and it turned out to be problematic because the square area opening under the arch was too small, and removing the arch requires expensive masonry work because it's actually part of the supporting structure of the brick above it, not just decorative.

- If your gas fireplace has to stick out a bit onto the hearth, you may have to extend the hearth to meet building code about the non-flammable area around the fireplace.
Mar 8, 2016
21 posts
1 upvote
Hey we did ours last year, full job was near 5k, depends on the size of the insert though. I’d recommend Kastle Fireplace in ascarborough. Most professional shop I visited. That said I stuck to the east end close to home.
Dec 7, 2001
151 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
We did exactly what you are looking to do about 5-6 years ago.

We went with Ultra HAVC folks:
https://homestars.com/companies/2812674 ... oducts-inc

Great experience... We got a Regency L390E which we’ve been very happy with.

It’s been a while but I recall we got this specific model because of effeciency, and also because the window isn’t glass but rather ceramic glass, which has better heat distribution.
Apr 27, 2015
163 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you remember how much it cost you? I'm guessing the prices have gone up since then (like everything else). I guess there are never any rebates for these sort of things.

Thanks everyone for their responses!
Kat wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 6:43 pm
We did exactly what you are looking to do about 5-6 years ago.

We went with Ultra HAVC folks:
https://homestars.com/companies/2812674 ... oducts-inc

Great experience... We got a Regency L390E which we’ve been very happy with.

It’s been a while but I recall we got this specific model because of effeciency, and also because the window isn’t glass but rather ceramic glass, which has better heat distribution.
Dec 7, 2001
151 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
nkit88 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 12:49 pm
Do you remember how much it cost you? I'm guessing the prices have gone up since then (like everything else). I guess there are never any rebates for these sort of things.

Thanks everyone for their responses!
I'm afraid not off hand. We were just moving into the house, so we did A LOT of work with them, and all without issue/all good. I do remember this fireplace was a significant percentage more expensive than the "equivalent" non-ceramic version under same brand.
Regardless, like I was saying they did a lot of work for us:

* Drew gas lines around the house for fireplace, two outlets on either side of deck, and into kitchen for gas stove.
* Due to age both Heater and AC (which was also insanely loud) were replaced with high efficiency Carriers (with the Carrier Thermostat)
* Whole-house Carrier humidifier
* The fireplace as I mentioned.
Apr 27, 2015
163 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did you need a permit to make the conversion from wood to gas in Markham? thanks
Kat wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 9:04 am
I'm afraid not off hand. We were just moving into the house, so we did A LOT of work with them, and all without issue/all good. I do remember this fireplace was a significant percentage more expensive than the "equivalent" non-ceramic version under same brand.
Regardless, like I was saying they did a lot of work for us:

* Drew gas lines around the house for fireplace, two outlets on either side of deck, and into kitchen for gas stove.
* Due to age both Heater and AC (which was also insanely loud) were replaced with high efficiency Carriers (with the Carrier Thermostat)
* Whole-house Carrier humidifier
* The fireplace as I mentioned.