• Mar 19th, 2005 11:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
WTF? What do you needa guantor for? IT's a fricking passport not a credit application? Is this what I have to look forward to once I become a citizen? Even the US doesn't require any crap like that!
Feb 12, 2005
38 posts
My sister has the same problem ! These doctors are idiots!!
Oct 2, 2004
365 posts
2 upvotes
I'm having a similar problem with a guarantor. Does anyone know what's involved in the declaration in lieu of guarantor?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
You guys, if anyone is charging you any money to be your guarantor, tell them to read the form PPT 044A (04-10) M02 - page 3of4, under section 2 Declaration of Guarantor, which clearly states that "Your guarantor must perform free of charge the following THREE tasks:", etc etc.

You can download the application form here:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/pdfs/ppt044.pdf

I don't know why your family doc is refusing to be your guarantor, especially if they've known you for 10 years. They really don't have an excuse not to sign it for you, and certainly a simple call from the passport office to your MD to verify what they've signed is not out of the ordinary. Just keep harrassing them for it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7640 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Shadow_alucard wrote:I've known this doctor for 10 years
wow, do you rarely see your doctor?
insert witty comment
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
royaljelly wrote:You guys, if anyone is charging you any money to be your guarantor, tell them to read the form PPT 044A (04-10) M02 - page 3of4, under section 2 Declaration of Guarantor, which clearly states that "Your guarantor must perform free of charge the following THREE tasks:", etc etc.

You can download the application form here:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/pdfs/ppt044.pdf

I don't know why your family doc is refusing to be your guarantor, especially if they've known you for 10 years. They really don't have an excuse not to sign it for you, and certainly a simple call from the passport office to your MD to verify what they've signed is not out of the ordinary. Just keep harrassing them for it.
That might well be the reason they reject the signing out right. They have all the excuse they want to refuse signing it for you ... they are not willing to do that.

And the excuse can be as simple as "he does not know you well enough".

"have known you personally for at least TWO years and well enough to be confident that the statements you have made in your application form are true."
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
2 upvotes
Roninvancouver wrote:sign it your self; they never check :D

They will, if the passport is ever lost. A former co-worker of mine is a CMA, and she guaranteed a passport for a friend. When the friend's passport was stolen, the friend re-applied. The CMA was contacted by the government.
Apr 16, 2004
54 posts
:) I finally, after a whole week of trying, got my dentist to sign it for me. My doctor, accountant, bank, pharmacy all said no to me
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7640 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Shadow_alucard wrote: :) I finally, after a whole week of trying, got my dentist to sign it for me. My doctor, accountant, bank, pharmacy all said no to me
If your doctor, accountant, bank, pharmacy all meet the requirement but refuse to sign, then you should dump them if possible. Keep your dentist.

I still can't believe that your doctor won't sign for you even tho he is your doctor for 10 years. At the very least, you have probably seen him at least 10 times. And it really doesn't take long for him to sign it. When I ask my professor to sign it, he knows me for just roughly 2 years and he did it in less then 4mins (including photo). uhh, I"m just ranting now.
insert witty comment
Sep 7, 2003
106 posts
3 upvotes
I (P. Eng) signed many passport applications and maple leaf card applications for my friends and co-workers but I didn't charge for anything. Nor did my co-workers (P. Eng). I don't think that's the right thing to charge for a signature, as long as I know the people for more than 2 years.
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
3 upvotes
My boyfriend doesn't charge for it and he has been called by the passport office quite a few times. I don't charge either. Doctors charging for this are money hungry idiots in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2204 posts
227 upvotes
Topher wrote:WTF? What do you needa guantor for? IT's a fricking passport not a credit application? Is this what I have to look forward to once I become a citizen? Even the US doesn't require any crap like that!

The guarantor in this case (applying for a passport) is required to confirm the applicant's identity, not to guarantee the applicant's credit-worthiness (applying for credit).

Although I'm not certain, what with Sept. 11 and the terrorists out there, I'm quite sure that the US has similar if not more stringent requirements. This whole process of confirming identities could all be avoided if we as a society agree to have chips implanted in our brain to identify who we are upon entry or birth, but that would be giving up our privacy. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2358 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
manixc wrote:wow, do you rarely see your doctor?
Oh yes they do!

Several years ago, I had a friend of mine who is a PEng sign mine. She just got married about a month before and signed and identified herself using her married name. When I went to the passport office with the application, they initially checked and couldn't find my guarrantor. Once I have them her maiden name they found her, called her up, and verified the information.

I still think the whole thing is totally silly, though.

And for what it's worth, I just found the U.S. passport application and would you believe, you don't require a guarantor.

However, the Australian passport application process not only requires a guarantor, but the guarantor must be a passport holder.

Gotta love government beurocracy. :)

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.