Page 1 of 2

Who can sign my passport?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 3:16 pm
by Shadow_alucard
I'm currently filling out my passport application and I need a "guarantor" to fill in the remaining information. I tried my family doctor, pharmacy, bank and all of them said NO.

So I would like to know who else is qualified as a "guarantor" because it doesn't say on the application form.

I really can't beleive something simple like this can give me so much trouble. Wasted so much of my time

Re: Who can sign my passport?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 3:18 pm
by wanna_be
Eligible persons

* Chiropractor
* Judge, magistrate
* Lawyer
* Mayor
* Medical doctor or dentist
* Minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
* Notary public
* Optometrist
* Person occupying a senior administrative position in a community college (includes CEGEP)
* Pharmacist
* Police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP)
* Postmaster
* Principal of a primary or secondary school
* Professional accountant (member of APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)
* Professional engineer (P.Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
* Senior administrator or teacher in a university
* Veterinarian

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/passports/get_guar ... asp#CANADA

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 4:49 pm
by manixc
why did your doctor say no?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 5:06 pm
by swifferman
manixc wrote:why did your doctor say no?
I know some doctors require a $20 fee for something like that. Maybe he wanted money?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 7:08 pm
by royaljelly
Your doctor shouldn't be charging you any cash to sign this form (it should be written right on the form).

If you really can't get anyone to sign it for you that has known you for more than 2 years, then you can fill out another form that's something like "in lieu of a guarantor", which I believe you can also get from the passport office.

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 7:21 pm
by HighFlyer
manixc wrote:why did your doctor say no?
Based on his 'rejected' list above, I'd hazard to guess that he didn't meet the 'known for 2 years' rule.

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 10:50 pm
by Shadow_alucard
I don't know why he said no but I"m guessing he doesn't want anybody calling him to confirm.

Or maybe he's afraid I might fly to another country to plant a bomb and afterward have the police question him.... Joking

I know there's a fee to it but that's not the reason as he said, "We don't sign passports"

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 10:52 pm
by Shadow_alucard
HighFlyer wrote:Based on his 'rejected' list above, I'd hazard to guess that he didn't meet the 'known for 2 years' rule.
I've known this doctor for 10 years

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 10:59 pm
by gman
Shadow_alucard wrote:I've known this doctor for 10 years
I wonder it is because you were not sick enough. :)

Anyway, do you have any relative who is CA? Are you working? Probably, somebody in your accounting department can help you out.

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 11:08 pm
by Shadow_alucard
gman wrote: Anyway, do you have any relative who is CA?

unfortunately no
gman wrote: Are you working?
no.... I'm a first year university student but I do have a part-time job

Can I get my prof to sign it even though I have only knew her for a few months?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 11:11 pm
by gman
Well, you can use the bottom of the page .

[QUOTE]Declaration in lieu of guarantor

If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPT 132 "Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" available from any passport office.[/QUOTE]

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 11:20 pm
by HighFlyer
Ok, how about your dentist? previous school principal?

Posted: Mar 5th, 2005 11:37 pm
by Shadow_alucard
HighFlyer wrote:Ok, how about your dentist? previous school principal?
I have not tried my dentist but I only go to him when I need to clean my teeth so that's about only 2 or 3 times a year. I'm not sure if he is willing to go through all the trouble for just 10 or 20 dollars. It seems like everyone is trying to avoid it. As for the principal, I don't know him personally so I'm pretty sure he won't sign it.

Posted: Mar 6th, 2005 10:53 am
by peppy5
do you go to church, your pastor can do it if they are able to perform marriages

Eh?

Posted: Mar 6th, 2005 11:13 am
by Gee
Shadow_alucard wrote:I've known this doctor for 10 years
That is stupid, I would get another doctor. He is obviously not looking out for your better interest.

I would sign it for you. But, I don't know you.

Posted: Mar 7th, 2005 1:55 am
by mma
Gee wrote:That is stupid, I would get another doctor. He is obviously not looking out for your better interest.

how many passport signing requests do you get a month??

Posted: Mar 7th, 2005 2:24 am
by StarStrike
Gee wrote:That is stupid, I would get another doctor. He is obviously not looking out for your better interest.

Are you a Doctor Gee? If so, WICKED! :razz:

Posted: Mar 7th, 2005 4:48 am
by peroxide8888
A guarantor should not be asking for any type of fee to sign your passport application and picture.

My Dr. has known me for more than 10 years, and he signed mine no questions asked (took him all of 30 seconds). Tell your Dr. he's an idiot...

Posted: Mar 7th, 2005 9:52 am
by gman
peroxide8888 wrote:A guarantor should not be asking for any type of fee to sign your passport application and picture.

My Dr. has known me for more than 10 years, and he signed mine no questions asked (took him all of 30 seconds). Tell your Dr. he's an idiot...
Same for my doctor but in the doctor fee schedule, there is a fee for signing passport application. The suggested fee is $10 (if I remember correctly).

Actually, that fee schedule reminded me to get the passports for my kid when I was in the doctor office. When I saw the fee schedule, I said "oh damn! I forgot I need to apply passports for kids." :)

Posted: Mar 7th, 2005 10:10 am
by Roninvancouver
sign it your self; they never check :D