• Feb 24th, 2017 10:08 am
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2006
276 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough

Who do I call? Landscaper or...

I need help fixing my front steps but I don't know who to call. The picture is not of my front steps but that is what the stones look like and I also have a landing

We bought a house 2 years ago. I get the feeling the original owners did some quick upgrades/landscaping before selling but maybe went for price over quality.

Our front steps are crumbling. Not all the "blocks" but at least 10 of them are literally turning to dust at the slightest touch. Also, the landing seems to have dipped maybe because of settling? The house is over 60 years old so the foundation has had enough time to settle but I find our front and back steps have moved/shifted over the last 2 years. Any ideas? Approximate cost?
Images
  • front steps.jpg
8 replies
Dec 4, 2009
837 posts
875 upvotes
Flamborough
Landscaper... Cost will depend on why the current steps are disintegrating.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
You are going to get a pretty range of quotes. Labor portion is the key to the high & low quotes
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
OK I'm going to tell you how to fix this properly. You have interlock stone. If you intent on keeping that look for your stairs... then the old way is to get a concrete foundation poured just of the landing and stairs.. and re-set the interlock... The concrete will stop the sinking.

my parents did not do the above and had their interlock removed and reset 3 times... because it kept sinking shifting ... then finally decided enough of that.. The took just the landing and stairs out and did stamped concrete landing and stairs..more expensive but they wanted something little longer lasting.. they left the rest of the interlock walkway and driveway as that was fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
Call a landscaper.

Do you have any pictures?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1079 upvotes
Whitby
an interlocking company should be able to help you out with what you need, though the nature/size/scope of the job may be a factor in if they actually do the work or not.

The stone crumbling sounds odd and I am not sure what to think of that. Pictures may yield some more help on that. My first instinct would be bad quality stone.

In terms of the landing shifting, you must have an issue with your base, which confirms your thinking that the previous owner did a job quickly and not properly. I am not sure I would go to the extent of having concrete poured for a walkway, as a HPB base does just as good of a job.
Sep 12, 2008
580 posts
201 upvotes
Hamilton, on
Not sure what area you are in, but PM me. Theres a few landscapers on my hockey team who I am sure can help you out.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2003
1008 posts
386 upvotes
I'm surprised no one has said "GHOST BUSTERS" yet.....
Mar 16, 2006
276 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough
Thank you to all that responded. I am waiting for weather to improve and then will get someone to come and give me an estimate. I just want something that will last a long time, that can handle the extreme temps we sometimes have and something that makes maintenance in the winter easy/safe

I'd rather pay a little more to get something that will last longer than keep paying for repairs every few seasons