1372 posts
140 upvotes

Who do you have on your speed dial?

Who do you have on your speed dial?
24 replies
Mar 27, 2007
326 posts
5 upvotes
I am no expert on this type of matter but I believe the bank has the right to offset and can go in your account and take the money they are owed. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge in this area chimes in but I am pretty sure they can do this.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
5 years and just NSF fees? You sure they're still after you and didn't just waive the fees and close the account? Why is 2 more years a magic number for them to forget the fees? You think banks simply forget about bad debts like credit reporting agencies?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1788 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know how you can let your account get to negative $1,000 without even knowing?

I think when you go to open your account, they would tell you if you still owe them money or not.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
With my recent dealings with TD, I'm inclined to say screw them and look elsewhere.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2176 posts
354 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
jeremyhalifax88 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 8:38 am
NSFs cost them virtually nothing.
Really! And you know that because .... ? Your credibility is in question.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3000 posts
47 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
May 4th, 2013 11:16 am
Really! And you know that because .... ? Your credibility is in question.
because other banks charge less than half of what TD and the big 4 charge
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
dre145 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 1:37 pm
because other banks charge less than half of what TD and the big 4 charge
Which ones?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1453 posts
603 upvotes
jeremyhalifax88 wrote:
In my younger more reckless time of my life I got a membership at premier fitness. That place was such a scam and they pretty much bullied me into taking personal training lessons. I won't say its their fault, I had anxiety and self confidence issues and I didn't want to show up / pay for those lessons so I ignored it all.
Ended up they tried taking bi-weekly payments out of my TD bank account that I didn't have much money in. I ended up with NSF fees for up to $1000, which I didn't think that was even possible...
5 years later I want to open up a TD Bank account and take advantage of the new US accounts they have since I do sail a lot to the US.
I know I should 'pay' them back but I really don't want to, I rather wait up the next 2 years than to pay any cent back. NSFs cost them virtually nothing.

What are my options here, if I open up a new account can they just withdraw the money in the account to pay the old debt off?
Thanks.
Don't do this. I don't know if they can take your money or not, but there was another thread on here about a person who defaulted on their car loan from a company that was later acquired by Scotiabank and the bank just took the money off of that person's account + very unreasonable interest and late charges.
Just look for another bank, there are other US based banks you can open an account with. In your case I don't think it is TD's fault at all (they do tell you what the NSF fees are) but it is clearly the gym's fault: these organizations insist on yearly contracts and direct deposit, they don't take cash or credit cards, they make it impossible to cancel.
Aug 13, 2008
283 posts
29 upvotes
Cambridge
Beans1234 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 2:36 pm
Which ones?
TD - $42.50
BMO - $42.50
Scotia - $42.50
BMO - $42.50
CIBC/PC - $45.00
ING - $25.00
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6807 posts
1679 upvotes
Financial District B…
jeremyhalifax88 wrote:
In my younger more reckless time of my life I got a membership at premier fitness. That place was such a scam and they pretty much bullied me into taking personal training lessons. I won't say its their fault, I had anxiety and self confidence issues and I didn't want to show up / pay for those lessons so I ignored it all.
Ended up they tried taking bi-weekly payments out of my TD bank account that I didn't have much money in. I ended up with NSF fees for up to $1000, which I didn't think that was even possible...
5 years later I want to open up a TD Bank account and take advantage of the new US accounts they have since I do sail a lot to the US.
I know I should 'pay' them back but I really don't want to, I rather wait up the next 2 years than to pay any cent back. NSFs cost them virtually nothing.

What are my options here, if I open up a new account can they just withdraw the money in the account to pay the old debt off?
Thanks.
You should pull your own credit reports from both bureaus. They are free. You should see two collection tradelines. One from a collection company collecting for Premier and another for TD Bank.
You can wait the 2yrs in hopes they purge off your bureau but the purge does not and more likely will not affect how TD Bank will view you as a customer. That's if they should decide to allow opening a new account with them now or in two years time.
Every major financial institution has their own internal collections and recovery. While the account may be written off it does not necessarily mean they won't come knocking if they should allow a new account opening.
Furthermore, with past delinquencies they more than likely will limit what accounts they will allow.
If a US account is what you seek I will put money on they won't even qualify you for it.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Coolio10 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 4:38 pm
TD - $42.50
BMO - $42.50
Scotia - $42.50
BMO - $42.50
CIBC/PC - $45.00
ING - $25.00

Okay, that's one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
Beans1234 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 9:26 am
You think banks simply forget about bad debts like credit reporting agencies?
mikeymike1 wrote:
May 4th, 2013 4:55 pm
You can wait the 2yrs in hopes they purge off your bureau but the purge does not and more likely will not affect how TD Bank will view you as a customer. That's if they should decide to allow opening a new account with them now or in two years time.
This - although things may fall off your credit report after a certain number of years they don't fall off the records the banks keep. If you owe money or have a bankruptcy and one of the people that lost money is a bank, even after it falls off your credit report it will still be on the bank's records and if there is money owing to them, they won't do business with you.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Apr 13, 2006
998 posts
61 upvotes
Because of Canadian regulations with Access to Basic Banking Services, they can't reject someone from opening up a daily account.

However, they could very easily have your account detected and have assets previously owing (possibly interest as well) and seize whatever you put in when its at a reasonable amount.

If you hold negative debt with a bank, there was far too many options out there to go back to them.
My views represent solely my views, and not the company in which I work for.
Feb 18, 2004
646 posts
96 upvotes
OP: Don't do it.

It's very likely TD will try to recover the $1,000 from your account if you open a new one there and put money in it. It's not certain though, as a lot of things are processed by computers and the money you owed might have been written off. But one thing for sure is that your profile will be flagged, and everything you do with your account will be scrutinized. Also, zero chance for you to get any credit products there.
× < >