• Mar 13th, 2014 3:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes

who do you see about a knee problem

Do i go to walk in clinic because i dont have a doctor. I want a ct scan because something is damaged in the back of knee like hamstring or itb. I dont believe in kiniesology or physiotherapy. Id rather have a real dr look at ct scan and identify issues.
37 replies
Aug 10, 2013
26 posts
4 upvotes
A walkin clinic might be the place to start...and look into a family doc in the near future.

Sadly, a clinic isn't going to write a referral for a CT on the first visit. If you were in extreme pain, visit the ER and let them triage you.

Depending on the urgency at the walkin clinic, you'll probably be given an ointment and if that doesn't work, sent for an X-ray then physio. If you do persist on the CT, the doc might eventually send a referral, but the wait time might be extensive, unless the doc agrees it's an urgent case.

Anyhows, good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
Can we keep this thread more positive. I've had this pain for 4 yrs. Why is my hamstring hurt where it connects to back of knee and side of knee. Can we avoid talking surgery.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
You had this ongoing for four years and still haven't seemed professional medical advice?
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: You had this ongoing for four years and still haven't seemed professional medical advice?
I chronically dislocated my shoulder for 10 years before I went to a doctor because I didn't want to stop playing bball for 4-6 months.

I went to a sports clinic at U of T and they referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon that argued against the major surgery because of my 35-40 dislocations, so we went with arthroscopic to fix tissue and remove frags. 3 months recovery and pain free for the last 4 years. :D I used to have really minor pain constantly like a 1 out of 10 but I was a man. lol

OP, I will PM you the name of my guy. Actually, my aunt who is now recently my family doctor, I had told her about my surgery and great results and I got a phone call from her receptionist asking me the name of my surgeon for another patient of theirs. :P

WAIT, OP what city are you in? If you're in the GTA, PM me and I will give you the name of my guy in Etobicoke.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Psubs wrote: I chronically dislocated my shoulder for 10 years before I went to a doctor because I didn't want to stop playing bball for 4-6 months.

I went to a sports clinic at U of T and they referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon that argued against the major surgery because of my 35-40 dislocations, so we went with arthroscopic to fix tissue and remove frags. 3 months recovery and pain free for the last 4 years. :D I used to have really minor pain constantly like a 1 out of 10 but I was a man. lol

OP, I will PM you the name of my guy. Actually, my aunt who is now recently my family doctor, I had told her about my surgery and great results and I got a phone call from her receptionist asking me the name of my surgeon for another patient of theirs. :P

WAIT, OP what city are you in? If you're in the GTA, PM me and I will give you the name of my guy in Etobicoke.
Was this all covered under OHIP or did it cost you a pretty penny?? Doesnt sound like it's covered...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: You had this ongoing for four years and still haven't seemed professional medical advice?
Im afraid of doctors. Went to dentist this week after 10 yrs and almost died of stress. Realistically what can be done with soft tissue damage.
May 18, 2006
997 posts
24 upvotes
freeonboard wrote: Can we keep this thread more positive. I've had this pain for 4 yrs. Why is my hamstring hurt where it connects to back of knee and side of knee. Can we avoid talking surgery.
freeonboard wrote: Im afraid of doctors. Went to dentist this week after 10 yrs and almost died of stress. Realistically what can be done with soft tissue damage.
Smile as big as you can and don't go to a medical professional.
That'll fix it!
Yay!
:)

You're welcome.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
freeonboard wrote: Do i go to walk in clinic because i dont have a doctor. I want a ct scan because something is damaged in the back of knee like hamstring or itb. I dont believe in kiniesology or physiotherapy. Id rather have a real dr look at ct scan and identify issues.
Well you should, because it works. It's possible that's all you will need.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: Was this all covered under OHIP or did it cost you a pretty penny?? Doesnt sound like it's covered...
I was sent to a Physio clinic where I saw the surgeon. They booked me an MRI at Toronto General which was covered. I was flexible so I got my MRI in like 2 weeks. I heard a receptionist that worked at the clinic had to wait 2 months. lol Ya, I work like a couple blocks from the hospital.

I did 1 physio session before my surgery where they gave me exercises to do to strengthen my shoulder before and after surgery. I got 80% coverage (90% now) through my work and that's the only session I did. I did rehab on my own after surgery.

Seeing the surgeon was all covered by OHIP. I love Ontario! :D
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Well you should, because it works. It's possible that's all you will need.

Studies say it doesnt work. I dont how i could still have a muscle
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Well you should, because it works. It's possible that's all you will need.

Studies say it doesnt work. I dont know how i could still have a muscle imbalance after 4 yrs of rest. I prolly have scar tissue that is irritating and weakening a muscle and all the other muscles are having to compensate.
Aug 10, 2013
26 posts
4 upvotes
You sound very resistant to conventional medicine based on your knowledge. Opt for alternative medicine and see if that gives you peace of mind...
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1518 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
freeonboard wrote: Studies say it doesnt work. I dont know how i could still have a muscle imbalance after 4 yrs of rest. I prolly have scar tissue that is irritating and weakening a muscle and all the other muscles are having to compensate.
You just named a possible reason for muscle imbalance in your own words. Are there particular studies you have come across that have led you to not believe in physiotherapy? You mentioned you're afraid of doctors and surgeries but you don't want to try physiotherapy, which gives you a good chance to spare you both.

Imaging doesn't tell you everything; it's just one component of an assessment. You need a thorough physical assessment to make an accurate diagnosis, which is something a physiotherapist would do. Also, even if you were diagnosed with imaging alone, you'd likely need physiotherapy to complement surgery/medication in your rehab. So, if you really don't want physiotherapy, good luck to you!
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1823 posts
318 upvotes
Scarborough
Instead of ruling out treatment options before you've even seen a medical professional, how about actually booking an appointment and seeing what the doc says. If you don't like the diagnosis, you can always get a second opinion from another doc. It's clear you don't like being around doctors if you haven't sought help in 4 years and only been to the dentist once in the last decade, but this problem isn't going away without proper medical advice and treatment.

And like blahraptors said, you're probably going to need physiotherapy as part of a rehab program regardless of the treatment the doctors give you. 4 years of chronic knee pain will almost certainly have changed your standing and walking posture, and you simply don't pop right back to normal after surgery.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $13/month plan
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
If you research physio/kinesology/podiatry , you find only evidence that it prolly does not work. Studies show that stretching does not reduce injuries. The itb syndrome is fake and physically impossible. Foam rollers have never been tested for effectiveness and there is no logical explanation why they would work. The idea of muscle imbalance is suspect. Most of the terms used have no underlying meaning. Ie your itb is tight. The itb is cartilage so it is supposed to be tight.
Impossible to shorten itb. Etc etc
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
:arrowu: OY! :facepalm:
OP, for your own good I am going to say this..... Please don't bother with any medical doc. You'd only be wasting valuable resources that others who will be compliant with treatment could use. In the case of a CT/MRI, leave the appt's for those who will follow through and be compliant with medical recommendations. From everything you've written, you think you know best so please don't waste the resources when others desperately need them....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Oct 20, 2004
639 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
You have obviously been going about this all wrong for the last four years. Follow these steps and you will be cured in five days guaranteed.

1) Rub butter on your knees to lubricate them.
2) Wear toe shoes because they will help you balance correctly.
3) Start taking Orchitinum. I have never heard of boars having problems with their knees and this is why.
4) If you don't notice any improvement after 36 hours then start drinking silver water (http://www.silverwater.biz/). Ideally you should bathe in it as well but that can get costly. There was someone trying to pitch this on the Dragon's Den once and it was very well received (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9ub-rIlyY).

Those people telling you to go see a doctor are all fools and would probably profit directly if you took their advice and went to see one of their quacks.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1518 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
I won't bother explaining all the inaccuracies in your statements. You are not a medical professional and would benefit from being educated by one about your health and skepticism towards medicine.

I can only hope you are trolling. But if your knee problem is true, I hope you take care of yourself and really consider seeking a health professional soon, before (heaven forbid) something more serious happens and hospitalization becomes necessary.
freeonboard wrote: If you research physio/kinesology/podiatry , you find only evidence that it prolly does not work. Studies show that stretching does not reduce injuries. The itb syndrome is fake and physically impossible. Foam rollers have never been tested for effectiveness and there is no logical explanation why they would work. The idea of muscle imbalance is suspect. Most of the terms used have no underlying meaning. Ie your itb is tight. The itb is cartilage so it is supposed to be tight.
Impossible to shorten itb. Etc etc
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: :arrowu: OY! :facepalm:
OP, for your own good I am going to say this..... Please don't bother with any medical doc. You'd only be wasting valuable resources that others who will be compliant with treatment could use. In the case of a CT/MRI, leave the appt's for those who will follow through and be compliant with medical recommendations. From everything you've written, you think you know best so please don't waste the resources when others desperately need them....
One may have bursitis and rest and some special excercises can reduce the inflamation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)