Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Doctor

Let them do an ultrasound and if need be an MRI. Once you truly know what's the ailment of your knees then you can diagnose it properly ie physiotherapy or whatever.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
Go see a GP who may or may not refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
freeonboard wrote: Do i go to walk in clinic because i dont have a doctor. I want a ct scan because something is damaged in the back of knee like hamstring or itb.

I dont believe in kiniesology or physiotherapy.

Id rather have a real dr look at ct scan and identify issues.
You should - cause they could both solve your problem - and perhaps, pretty easily.

If Olympic, elite amateur and pro athletes have benefited tremendously from rehab / physiotherapy....I suspect you could too.

Ideally, a referral to a Dr. at a Sports Injury clinic ( who sees knee injuries A LOT ) might help a lot IMO. Once a Dr. who specializes in Sports Injury makes an initial diagnosis, he or she will do all tests etc. to confirm and then give you all your options - including - prescribing any physio / rehab etc. if needed.

You may want to inquire with a normal Clinic how a referral to a Sports Injury clinic may be possible.

Cause at the end of the day, clearly, you know ' squat ' about doing a proper medial diagnosis and the appropriate medical treatment required - otherwise, you wouldn't still be in pain for 4 years now if you did.

In a nutshell, get professional medical help for your knee.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: :arrowu: OY! :facepalm:
OP, for your own good I am going to say this..... Please don't bother with any medical doc. You'd only be wasting valuable resources that others who will be compliant with treatment could use. In the case of a CT/MRI, leave the appt's for those who will follow through and be compliant with medical recommendations. From everything you've written, you think you know best so please don't waste the resources when others desperately need them....
+1 and our time, because you obviously don't want to listen to any advice that's being given to you here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Psubs wrote: One may have bursitis and rest and some special excercises can reduce the inflamation.
My case of trochanteric bursitis was resolved with a good old cortisone shot done by my rheumy in office. That was about a yr and a half ago and it may be starting to come back as it's definitely tender these days. A bursectomy is out of the question for me so another cortisone shot it will be. Surgery is a no-go due to all the muscle, ligament and tendon attachments being inflamed anyway due to my disease process. My docs feel surgery would likely hasten the process, cause more calcification at attachments and ultimately more abnormal bone remodeling....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
Who would look at the ultrasound? I guess that would be the ultrasound person. I think it might be tiny tear in muscle because this all started with a burning pain while running that did not re occur. Two weeks prior to that i ran a race while my calves were cramping but i ran afterwards with no pain.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
There will always exist professions to offer treatments for every problem that crops up regardless of whether the treatment works. And these fake treatments go on and on and on without being challenged .

poedua wrote: You should - cause they could both solve your problem - and perhaps, pretty easily.

If Olympic, elite amateur and pro athletes have benefited tremendously from rehab / physiotherapy....I suspect you could too.

Ideally, a referral to a Dr. at a Sports Injury clinic ( who sees knee injuries A LOT ) might help a lot IMO. Once a Dr. who specializes in Sports Injury makes an initial diagnosis, he or she will do all tests etc. to confirm and then give you all your options - including - prescribing any physio / rehab etc. if needed.

You may want to inquire with a normal Clinic how a referral to a Sports Injury clinic may be possible.

Cause at the end of the day, clearly, you know ' squat ' about doing a proper medial diagnosis and the appropriate medical treatment required - otherwise, you wouldn't still be in pain for 4 years now if you did.

Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote: You should - cause they could both solve your problem - and perhaps, pretty easily.

+1
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
freeonboard wrote: There will always exist professions to offer treatments for every problem that crops up regardless of whether the treatment works. And these fake treatments go on and on and on without being challenged .
Chiropractors are challenged with research papers. We even used to have a chiropractor at my work doing studies about how some practices does significantly help.

Physio is just helping do excercises to strengthen your muscles. Not worth to continually go unless you're covered or severely injured. I got a lot of information in 1 session and do them on my own as it's only my shoulder.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
Ok, they are totally discredited by research but the public doesnt care. I guess the public does not trust regression analysis.
Psubs wrote: Chiropractors are challenged with research papers. We even used to have a chiropractor at my work doing studies about how some practices does significantly help.

Physio is just helping do excercises to strengthen your muscles. Not worth to continually go unless you're covered or severely injured. I got a lot of information in 1 session and do them on my own as it's only my shoulder.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
Psubs wrote: Chiropractors are challenged with research papers. We even used to have a chiropractor at my work doing studies about how some practices does significantly help.

Physio....heating pads, tens, and exercise, but if they can do acupuncture that's a bonus
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
freeonboard wrote: There will always exist professions to offer treatments for every problem that crops up regardless of whether the treatment works. And these fake treatments go on and on and on without being challenged .
Well, you've been in knee pain for 4 years now because you've been stubbornly avoiding professional medical treatment - medical treatment which may have been able to easily diagnosis and or solve your problem, in very short order ( perhaps within weeks or months ).

Trying to self diagnose your knee problem and using ' Dr. Google ' and YouTube videos has gotten you NOWHERE - i.e you've run out of options. Seems silly to have to suffer with knee pain for the rest of your life simply because you're being stubborn.

If you want a proper professional diagnosis and the best chance of knowing what your options / prognosis is going forward - just check your ego at the door and seek professional medical help.

Fact is, you have nothing to lose by seeking professional medical help simply for a diagnosis and to identify possible treatment options if nothing else - to shun them is illogical IMO.
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
YOU: "who do you see about a knee problem?"
US: Go see a doctor.
YOU: Naw, I googled it and research says it doesn't work. I'm afraid of doctors anyway.
US: Well, we're not Jesus and we can't magically cure you.. so yeah can't help you if you don't take the advice.

I personally had a basketball knee injury 8 years ago in highschool. Didn't dislocate anything so I just let it heal itself and rest. (The young and the lazy... *sigh*) For the next year whenever I played sports, my knee would give out on me. I would actually fall to the ground and won't be able to stand for 10 minutes. I stopped exercising after high school and my knee would bother me a little bit when walking. Two years ago, I took up Muay Thai to get fit again. My knee bothered me a lot when I started exercising again. Same problems with falling down. I finally sought professional help and doctors told me that my knee didn't heal properly. I started taking glucosamine pills and along with Muay Thai, swimming, and running, my knee felt a lot better. My knee would sometimes give out a little if I'm doing high jumps or other high extensive jumping exercises but not to the point of falling down. But it's a far cry from 8 years ago.

I actually took a break over the winter from exercising... and wouldn't you know? My knee started to hurt! Yeah, I'll never stop exercising again.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
thericyip wrote: YOU: "who do you see about a knee problem?"
US: Go see a doctor.
YOU: Naw, I googled it and research says it doesn't work. I'm afraid of doctors anyway.
US: Well, we're not Jesus and we can't magically cure you.. so yeah can't help you if you don't take the advice.

Well said.
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jan 28, 2014
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
oh hamstrings.

I found for mine a good combination of stretching and strengthening exercises coupled with manual elongation and knot removal improved pain. I was lucky to have insurance at the time but $80 gets you an hour that includes exercises and massage to lengthen and strengthen your hamstrings which will ease the tension and strain placed on other muscles, tendons and ligaments in your knees.
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
i recommend athletic edge sport medicine (aesm.ca). you can make an appointment to see a sports med doctor there to get diagnosed, etc. without needing a referral from a family doc. it is covered by OHIP to see the MDs. the other stuff (physio, chiropractic, etc. is of course not covered by OHIP.. so your prescribed treatment would not be covered unless you have insurance).
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
freeonboard wrote: Im afraid of doctors. Went to dentist this week after 10 yrs and almost died of stress. Realistically what can be done with soft tissue damage.
toughen up and see a professional, or suffer and stop whining. geez.

and if you have seen all these studies about how these modalities supposedly don't work, how about sending us some references to back up your claim? name the author, journal, dates, links, etc...

also, just to scare you into acting: knee problems can lead to chronic (permanent) issues like arthritis. i had patella femoral syndrome in my knees and was unable to get it cured over the years. the cartilage wore away over time and now it is full fledged osteo-arthritis. i am 37 years old.
stop whining and go see a professional rather than trying to self diagnose. and TBA, my MD does prescribe physiotherapy as a treatment for certain issues, so there you go.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
airmail wrote: Physio....heating pads, tens, and exercise, but if they can do acupuncture that's a bonus
There is a lot more to physiotherapy then that. If that is al you are getting from physiotherapy you should really be finding another therapist.

To the OP, if you feel the evidence to support physiotherapy in research isn't there you are clearly not looking at the actual research. Physiotherapists are trained by scientific evidence and practices that have been proven by scientific research. Evidence-based practice is the core of their profession. The key is finding a good one. A physiotherapist will be able to diagnose your knee problem much better than a GP; they are more trained to diagnose musculoskeletal injuries as that is their specialty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)