Like to hear from you, how is it? Noise level etc? tia
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
If you're talking about noise outside:

I've a 14 seer goodman and the motor is always off hence no noise when I stood outside. I need to catch the moment when the motor is on.

One side of my townhouse neighbour, whose house is exactly the same as mine, also has a goodman and I suspect his is a 10 seer (same 2-ton but lower seer so smaller than mine). His is pretty noisy all the time and that's quite annoying when I'm outside while mine was told it is very quiet.

My the other side smaller townhouse neighbour, his is a 1.5 ton and I think maybe 10-13 seer isn't as noisy as the other one, but still has some noise but not annoying.

If you're talking about noise inside the house:
Mine is a 14 seer and when the motor is on, I can hear it when I'm in my bedroom trying to sleep - wooound, woound, woound ... like a fly flying in a circle. Anyboby hear that too? My husband said it's because we use the wall bracket and not letting it sit on the ground. But we were told installing with wall bracket is better than on the ground..?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
I'm looking for an A/C unit now, and spoke to a dealer about the 10 SEER Goodman unit, compared to the 13 SEER Aire-flo unit (made by Lennox). He said that the Goodman units are about 15% louder.. (although about $300 cheaper).

I got a quote for $2000 for a 2.5 ton, 13 SEER Aire-flo unit. Does this sound like a decent price?
Mar 8, 2006
95 posts
15 upvotes
Just got 10 seer 2.0 ton Goodman this week. I don't find it noisy, but maybe thats because it replaced a 20yr old unit.

I have only had it two days so I can't add much more.

Bought it off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. The company is called Cozy World in Concord.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Cozy-World

They were great to deal with and did the job quickly

I think the price is around $1600 for 2.5 ton.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
no extra charges? I saw them selling on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] and wondered

what size home did you put the 2 tonne in? find it cools better?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
spdztr wrote:I'm looking for an A/C unit now, and spoke to a dealer about the 10 SEER Goodman unit, compared to the 13 SEER Aire-flo unit (made by Lennox). He said that the Goodman units are about 15% louder.. (although about $300 cheaper).

I got a quote for $2000 for a 2.5 ton, 13 SEER Aire-flo unit. Does this sound like a decent price?
I have someone coming to install a Goodman 10 SEER 2.5ton later today, found out their noise level is 78 decibels and according to Hydro one typical noise level of central air is from 60-90 decibels.

Now from what I've heard, more expensive one are quieter and if you are on a budget, I don't think there is any difference between Goodman, Armstrong or even Aire-flo and that is why I went for Goodman.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
As long as your unit has a Copeland scroll compressor, you'll be fine. I personally wouldn't get any brand that doesn't incorporate one.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Mar 8, 2006
95 posts
15 upvotes
I actually had to pay an extra $200 as they had to modify the existing ductwork because the older air conditioner coil was much smaller.

My furnace is in a crawl space and I sent them some photos. They told me before hand that they may have to make the adjustments and told me the cost.

They (2 men) were here over 6 hours to install, so there was a fair bit of extra work involved.

My house is 1700 sq ft and this unit has no problem cooling. As a matter of fact, I had to raise thermostat as it was getting too cool.

I would certainly reccommend this company.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Had it installed and the sound level is not as loud as I was expecting, it is quietier than the 20 years old unit my at my old home. Not bad for the price, not bad at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
apvm wrote:Had it installed and the sound level is not as loud as I was expecting, it is quietier than the 20 years old unit my at my old home. Not bad for the price, not bad at all.
Can I ask how much you paid for the unit? I got a quote of $1700 for the Goodman 2.5T 10 SEER unit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
spdztr wrote:Can I ask how much you paid for the unit? I got a quote of $1700 for the Goodman 2.5T 10 SEER unit.
I paid $1800 that includes brackets, winter cover, installation and taxes. I had my own digitial thermostat so I didn't ask for that.

That is the cheapest I could find here in London but you should be able to find someone for $100-200 less in the GTA with thermostat included.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
fireguy9 wrote:no extra charges? I saw them selling on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] and wondered

what size home did you put the 2 tonne in? find it cools better?
This is from my installer and same version from my builder's heat and cooling contractor

2 ton for house up to 1800'
2.5 to for house up to 2400'
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
iyah wrote:Just got 10 seer 2.0 ton Goodman this week. I don't find it noisy, but maybe thats because it replaced a 20yr old unit.

I have only had it two days so I can't add much more.

Bought it off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. The company is called Cozy World in Concord.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Cozy-World

They were great to deal with and did the job quickly

I think the price is around $1600 for 2.5 ton.
The minimum SEER standard in Canada is 13....the new 13 units suck up just under 25% less electricity than the older 10 units. Wondering why you didn't go with the minimum SEER 13 standard since it's cheaper to run.

I assume you're going with the 10 because you got a " deal " on price - i.e the 13 SEER was too expensive ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
poedua wrote:The minimum SEER standard in Canada is 13....the new 13 units suck up just under 25% less electricity than the older 10 units. Wondering why you didn't go with the minimum SEER 13 standard since it's cheaper to run.

I assume you're going with the 10 because you got a " deal " on price - i.e the 13 SEER was too expensive ?
This has been discussed before, I know the savings between 10-13 SEER but since we only turn on our A/C for two months ... Three Max, the savings don't justify the more expensive cost....at least for me.....My best quote here in London for 10 SEER is $1800 installed 13 SEER at least $2400 and the savings in electricity will take some years before it will show.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
I had 2-ton 14 seer Goodman for 1700 3-story townhouse with 2 adult, and my electricity bill only went up $15/month last month (the first full month the a/c is on). I've a programmable thermostate and I keep it 24/25 degree whole day Sat & Sun, and 4pm-8:30am Mon to Fri.

This is my first townhouse and I don't know how much exacting I'm saving but $15/month extra electricity for a/c isn't bad.

In my case, going from 10 seer to 14 seer cost $500 more, save electricity, more quiet and longer warranty.
Mar 15, 2003
807 posts
292 upvotes
toronto
Plus wouldn't getting a 13+ seer would be more attractive in the long term if you ever plan on selling your place? Less attractive if your house has outdated technology.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
thesober wrote:Plus wouldn't getting a 13+ seer would be more attractive in the long term if you ever plan on selling your place? Less attractive if your house has outdated technology.
That'll not be the case, I just sold my old house 3 months ago and it has a 22 years A/C with it, a tip for you, an updated kitchen will be thousand times attractive than an updated A/C.

BTW, with average of 2 months usage of my A/C the savings between 10 and 14 SEER (electircity) won't show in 10+ years between the cost of these two and since I am installing a new A/C not replacing, I am not entitle to any rebates so for my case it is better with a 10 SEER but it'll be a total different case if I am replacing and entitle to rebates.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
apvm wrote:That'll not be the case, I just sold my old house 3 months ago and it has a 22 years A/C with it, a tip for you, an updated kitchen will be thousand times attractive than an updated A/C.

BTW, with average of 2 months usage of my A/C the savings between 10 and 14 SEER (electircity) won't show in 10+ years between the cost of these two and since I am installing a new A/C not replacing, I am not entitle to any rebates so for my case it is better with a 10 SEER but it'll be a total different case if I am replacing and entitle to rebates.
I think it depends on how you approach the analysis and where the price of electricity will be 10+++ years from now - nowhere but " up " IMO. The payback on the extra cost may be sooner than later and it should analyzed over the life of the A/C unit - more like 20 years +/-.

In any event, if paying more for a 13 means I can do my small part toward conserving energy overall, I'm all for that.