• Feb 1st, 2005 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes

Who has the right away at a 2-way stop

i always thought that it is the person going straight, and the person turing left has to wait for the other car.

Anways a few times lately i stopped at a 2 way stop a couple seconds before the car across the street. i was wanting to turn left and the other car was going straight and they sat there waiting for me to turn.

I am i right in thinking that the person going straight has the right of way even if they stop after the car turning left?
Share:
30 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
That's the basic right of way if both cars stop at the same time (car on the right side goes first). Then driving-manner comes into play. They were just being polite, simple as that.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1459 posts
167 upvotes
I would assume the person going straight has the right of way even if he stopped little bit after the person who has to turn left. But I have always been confused on this one so I could be wrong
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Justin wrote:I am i right in thinking that the person going straight has the right of way even if they stop after the car turning left?
If you get there first, you have right of way.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/yield.htm says "At an intersection with stop signs at all corners, you must yield the right-of-way to the first vehicle to come to a complete stop."

---

Q: Who has the right of way when four cars approach a four-way stop at the same time?

A: The pickup truck with the gun rack and the bumper sticker saying, "Guns don't kill people. I do."
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Jan 25, 2005
509 posts
Sarnia
I agree with NDman..I think they were just being polite..I tend to do the same thing.I'll wave the person on through who is going to turn..
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2170 posts
2 upvotes
Simple, LEFT HAND RULE
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
Person on the right hand side has the right of way, if all stopped at the same time. That's what the rule says, but in reality, when in doubt I always let other's go first.

The worst is when NO BODY goes, 'cus everyone is confused. Then EVERYONE goes at the sametime...Then you have to play traffic cop and wave em on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Whoever arrives first has right of way.

If all arrive at the same time, whomever is on the right has the right of way.

If there is no one on the right (i.e., 4 cars on a 4-way stop, 3 cars at a 3-way stop, etc.) then cars travelling straight have the right of way.

In your situation? You should have taken the right of way since you arrived first.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10233 posts
3089 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
The one with the bigger car goes first :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1423 posts
60 upvotes
whoever arrives at intersection first, has the right of way.
[removed]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes
it seems like everyone has given a different answer. it is a 2-way stop, meaning that 1 street has no stop signs and the other street interesects it with stop signs.

So, who has the right of way?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes
is anyone 100% sure? is it the person going straight or the person that stops first? what do some mean by the person on the left or right? I dont want to accidently smash may car because i went when i wasn't supposed to.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Justin wrote:it seems like everyone has given a different answer. it is a 2-way stop, meaning that 1 street has no stop signs and the other street interesects it with stop signs.

So, who has the right of way?
If you do not have a stop sign in front of you and the other car has a stop sign of course you have the right of way. Does not matter whether you want to turn or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes
I drew a diagram of the road. hopefully this makes it clearer. so, who has the right of way?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Justin wrote:it seems like everyone has given a different answer. it is a 2-way stop, meaning that 1 street has no stop signs and the other street interesects it with stop signs.
Nobody except Singh_21 (who's wrong) said that the person who reached there first doesn't have right of way. Some people answered with comments not directly related to your question, but mostly everyone is saying the same thing.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
× < >