Beauty & Wellness

Who the hell would actually buy this for $499.99??? WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 4:44 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2014
201 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Who the hell would actually buy this for $499.99??? WTF?

I would please like to know, who (that is sane and not on drugs), would go out and buy a hair dryer for $499???????????

dyson hair dryer for $499 wtf? exact same function as any $20 hairdryer?

is this dyson's guy company ridiculous or what?
150 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8406 posts
1618 upvotes
London
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 629436--24

The Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer is turning convention on its head. With a unique digital motor for fast and balanced drying, an intelligent thermistor to help protect hair from extreme heat damage and three magnetic styling attachments – it's the hair dryer re-thought.

• Diffuser
  • Smoothing nozzle
  • Styling concentrator
  • Non-slip mat
  • Storage hanger
  • 3" W x 9.5" H x 3.75" D
  • Voltage: 1600 watts
  • Plastic/metal
  • Imported

I wish I slightly less ethical, I'd be rich.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10376 posts
974 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
The same people who buy $5k watches when a swatch watch does the same damn thing... or peeps who buy $200k car for an 80km speed limit no different than a beige corolla. You get the drift.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19409 posts
2877 upvotes
Poormond Hill
sonnyblack01 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 12:34 am
I would please like to know, who (that is sane and not on drugs), would go out and buy a hair dryer for $499???????????

dyson hair dryer for $499 wtf? exact same function as any $20 hairdryer?

is this dyson's guy company ridiculous or what?
The same person who would spend $$$ on fragrances when there are less expensive alternatives.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1635 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 1:55 am
The same people who buy $5k watches when a swatch watch does the same damn thing... or peeps who buy $200k car for an 80km speed limit no different than a beige corolla. You get the drift.
That's not an accurate comparison:
1. Swatch owns the company that makes the $5k watch

2. In both cases you get a more complicated piece of equipment that had a lot of work put into it by people who are paid fair wages for their time.

It's not the manufacturers fault that you use a 300hp sports car as a taxi or a deep diving watch to time your steak.

In dysons case it's all marketing bullshit, their stuff was never meant for doing anything more than the $20 equivalent.
Take this $800 lamp for example: http://www.dyson.com/lighting/csys.aspx

It's ugly.
There's nothing innovative about it at all.
It's literally a couple of pieces of aluminum track used to make automation systems with some cheap LED's stuck on the end.
A $20 lamp will do more in this case because you can at least point the bulb at what you are working on.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10376 posts
974 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
nabiul wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 6:46 am
That's not an accurate comparison:
1. Swatch owns the company that makes the $5k watch

2. In both cases you get a more complicated piece of equipment that had a lot of work put into it by people who are paid fair wages for their time.

It's not the manufacturers fault that you use a 300hp sports car as a taxi or a deep diving watch to time your steak.

In dysons case it's all marketing bullshit, their stuff was never meant for doing anything more than the $20 equivalent.
Take this $800 lamp for example: http://www.dyson.com/lighting/csys.aspx

It's ugly.
There's nothing innovative about it at all.
It's literally a couple of pieces of aluminum track used to make automation systems with some cheap LED's stuck on the end.
A $20 lamp will do more in this case because you can at least point the bulb at what you are working on.
Look, peeps have money... they can spend it however they want. Bottom line. Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
181 upvotes
🤷 Just try not to have a negative balance by getting $400 $500 hair dryer if you're into high end stuff. I don't really give a shit what you buy as long you're smart with your cash.
Mar 24, 2015
635 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My cousin is a professional hairdresser and she bought one. She has clients that would pay $500 (even more sometimes) to colour their hair pink and this involves a lot of washing and drying as it takes a lot of process and a whole day for very long hair. It usually takes around 20 mins to dry long hair at a salon. If she can do that in less time and getting better results than the other hairdryers, then I guess it's a worth it for her. Besides, judging by the amount of cash women would pay her to colour their hair, she can totally afford it :P
Last edited by ckay1980 on Dec 21st, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 4, 2007
972 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I have 17 - one for each bathroom in my house. :) jk
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8665 posts
1492 upvotes
kasm wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 9:09 am
I have 17 - one for each bathroom in my house. :) jk
do you at least buy bulk toilet paper at costco to stock those bathrooms.
Dec 28, 2010
319 posts
101 upvotes
I built an extra bathroom so I could buy another one... !
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4022 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
ckay1980 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 8:25 am
My cousin is a professional hairdresser and she bought one. She has clients that would pay $500 (even more sometimes) to colour their hair pink and this involves a lot of washing and drying as it takes a lot of process and a whole day for very long hair. It usually takes around 20 mins to dry long hair at a salon. If she can do that in less time and getting better results than the other hairdryers, then I guess it's a worth it for her. Besides, judging by the amount of cash women would pay her to colour their hair, she can totally afford it :P
not by much: http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/21/1403 ... yer-review

prob more of a status symbol and the metro look. Like buying Apple vs Android
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3884 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
For $400USD, it'd better help grow hair for guys...