Health & Wellness

Who the hell would actually buy this for $499.99??? WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 5:36 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16142 posts
1351 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
mbg wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 4:10 pm
Probably one wig from wigs.com (if you include shipping).

I would not recommend just any wig. The opening of a wig shop in any given area (especially a mall) is a sign of economic distress.
Lol damn that's funny.

Not for the faint of heart but search YouTube for Archie Luxury + Surfers Paradise. He goes on a long tirade about how all the rub and tuck? Joints have ruined the once burgeoning tourist area of SP. Some of the most funniest thing I've watched anywhere.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10498 posts
223 upvotes
Dyson falls into the same bucket as companies like Bose and Monster Cable - they spend a load of money on consumer marketing to get their sales and that is why the price is higher.

The price doesn't speak to the quality.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3014 posts
674 upvotes
Miami
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 7:02 am
🤷 Just try not to have a negative balance by getting $400 $500 hair dryer if you're into high end stuff. I don't really give a shit what you buy as long you're smart with your cash.
If you're smart with cash you wouldn't buy a $500 hair dryer.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Jul 31, 2015
589 posts
228 upvotes
AB
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 4:58 pm
If you are smart with cash you wouldn’t buy more than the very basics of anything

Every luxury is a “waste of money” other than for personal enjoyment reasons.

Example, wife and I went for a nice meal last night,z I had a $60 steak along with a variety of sides and wine.

The rfd’er in me kept thinking I could buy many nice steaks at Costco for the price of just this one. But like most nice things, you just got to ignore that little voice of reason once in a while and enjoy the luxuries in life sometimes.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 4:58 pm
I can't blame 'em. If I were a woman, I'd wanna feel fancy.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3014 posts
674 upvotes
Miami
U4LIFE wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 11:07 am
If you are smart with cash you wouldn’t buy more than the very basics of anything

Every luxury is a “waste of money” other than for personal enjoyment reasons.

Example, wife and I went for a nice meal last night,z I had a $60 steak along with a variety of sides and wine.

The rfd’er in me kept thinking I could buy many nice steaks at Costco for the price of just this one. But like most nice things, you just got to ignore that little voice of reason once in a while and enjoy the luxuries in life sometimes.
"once in a while" being the key here.

Luxuries shouldn't be everyday items unless you're earning a LOT of money or you're a trust-fund baby.

You don't get $500 hairdryer money by buying $500 hairdryers.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6104 posts
1323 upvotes
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 12:23 pm
I can't blame 'em. If I were a woman, I'd wanna feel fancy.
People need to not underestimate this.

Seriously.

If you do use something almost everyday and the expensive thing is a better experience, something like a $500 hairdryer can be worth it for that person.

Now, no one has yet answered what the heck kind of hair they have--or know someone has--that needs 20 minutes of blowdrying time. No one has answered what kind of garbage they were previously buying that died in 1 year compared to my solid $30 tank of a Conair lasting over a decade, lol.

But really, if it makes that much of a difference in someone's day for a couple of years, there is definite value in that. It makes triple sense for the professional hairdresser, to make it look like she's pampering her clients.

There are a bunch of RFDers who have fancy cars, fancy watches, fancy clothes, accessories. I'm sure there is some sort of relatability here.
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 12:59 pm
Luxuries shouldn't be everyday items unless you're earning a LOT of money or you're a trust-fund baby.
I disagree. The luxuries should be items that people can get the most enjoyment out of--and that often means items that will be well-used.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 1:36 pm
If you do use something almost everyday and the expensive thing is a better experience, something like a $500 hairdryer can be worth it for that person.
Yup.
peanutz wrote:
But really, if it makes that much of a difference in someone's day for a couple of years, there is definite value in that. It makes triple sense for the professional hairdresser, to make it look like she's pampering her clients.
Yup.
peanutz wrote:
The luxuries should be items that people can get the most enjoyment out of--and that often means items that will be well-used.
And yup. I see nothing wrong with your fancy logic.
Last edited by Dumbbelldore on Dec 25th, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
I need to see the ~$500.00 Dyson Hair Dryer. The price might make sense if it was one of those fancy hair dryer at hair salon. They are huge, your whole head can fit into it! You sit there for an hour or longer. I don't know, I like to let my hairdry naturally so yeah. Even a $20.00 hair dryer is too expensive for my hair.
Nov 25, 2016
139 posts
100 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 10:22 am
do you at least buy bulk toilet paper at costco to stock those bathrooms.
i've never understood why everyone doesn't have a bidet or one of those hand sprayer things in the house instead of lugging around massive rolls of tp every time you go to the supermarket. probably saves hundreds of dollars over time too.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11743 posts
1682 upvotes
City of Vancouver
U buy the $500 hairdryer. U later get diagnosed with cancer. U go thru chemo and lose ur hair. U then think about how u thought this hairdryer would make u feel special. Now, u gotta pay 25$ per pill cancer drugs. U wish u listened to Becks and stuck with the cheap hairdryer and wigs.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Jul 31, 2015
589 posts
228 upvotes
AB
Becks wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 5:37 pm
U buy the $500 hairdryer. U later get diagnosed with cancer. U go thru chemo and lose ur hair. U then think about how u thought this hairdryer would make u feel special. Now, u gotta pay 25$ per pill cancer drugs. U wish u listened to Becks and stuck with the cheap hairdryer and wigs.
That’s pretty dark for Christmas dude.

One could make that argument for any luxury though. Nothing seems worth it compared to a life changing event
Dec 16, 2013
119 posts
54 upvotes
I have one that I got by redeeming Air Miles. It’s great...it dries my hair in less than 5 minutes, and with my Chi hair dryer, it used to take 30 minutes. My hair is also a lot smoother and shinier.

I wouldn’t have paid $500 for it though, probably $300 max.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1395 posts
241 upvotes
All I know is that my hair is more smooth and silky with a Dyson hair dryer vs a Conair one.